The de-evolution of live music.....yes a DJ is a musician Bobby

That was like catching your parents having sex - you just can't unsee that shit.

Nasty isn't it. *shudder*

On the other hand - this is the next one that popped up after I searched for that from Steve Vai:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPTHOsrGBoc
He's saying about what we were talking about this morning (its 20 to 5 PM here). He came up with a melody in his head and instead of working it out on the guitar, kept singing it to himself and worked out what chords were underneath it, saying that's where his best stuff comes from. As opposed to just seeing where his fingers fall, following patterns that are in muscle memory.

Do you notice a common theme? Weirdo guitars. That one guy had 29 frets on a pointy metal axe death machine, and Vai has compensated frets. I'm always expecting something to suck when I see non-traditional guitars, and I don't think I've been wrong about it yet.

Do you notice a common theme? Weirdo guitars. That one guy had 29 frets on a pointy metal axe death machine, and Vai has compensated frets. I'm always expecting something to suck when I see non-traditional guitars, and I don't think I've been wrong about it yet.
Yeah, I get it all the time when I look at my non-traditional custom guitar. I suck terribly.

Batio's got this crazy video somewhere where's he's playing ambidextrously on a twin necked thing with one of the necks pointing left and one of them right.

haha, this is it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz3JhKXJDTM

The absolute nadir of musicality. Some excellent shred-face going on though.

I think Bad Religion use their music as a vehicle for what they have to say too, whereas JS uses his music to show his technical proficiency. So, whereas BR's lyrical content might evolve, they music doesn't necessarily have to. You're right that Satch is only listened to by guitar players I reckon - I don't think I've ever met a Satch fan that isn't a guitar player. At least with someone like Guthrie Govern, his fans are just into Jazz fusion and all sorts of weirdness - they're not just guitarists.

I played on one of them Satch guitars once - really nice guitar to play, but its very, very shreddy! Mikes my Ibanez look punky!

Another one that seems to sacrifice musicality for technical prowess is that weirdo, Buckethead.

Yeah, he churns out about an album a week. I downloaded a couple once... it doesn't really hold my interest.

Like my father used to say, "Thats why they have Baskin-Robbins 31 flavors, not everyone just likes vanilla and chocolate"
:D

Baskin-Robbins, they still even around?? Haven't seen one in years.

This thread has gone around in damn near the most awesomest circle . . . from saying a DJ is not a musician to saying a guitarist is not a musician

Did you even read any of it? At all? No one said Satriani is not a musician. No one said that. Not. One. Single. Person.

Baskin-Robbins, they still even around??

Hell yeah they're still around...been going to this one in Covina for as long back as I can remember...Pretty sure before I was 5 (yep some 58 years ago) my older sister hooked me up with the free Birthday cone every year...sweet.. But Thrifty's ( now owned by Rite-aid) still wins the ice cream wars... I loves my ice cream

31.jpg

Did you even read any of it? At all? No one said Satriani is not a musician. No one said that. Not. One. Single. Person.

I think you may be taking GZ a little too literally...pretty sure he was just musing at how far the thread had gone off topic from the original post...I thought it was appropriately funny.... we know no one said a guitarist isn't a musician...just more or less that a technically incredible guitarist sometimes may not be all that musically entertaining... i.e. JS=0

Satriani is not a magician he's just really fast :D

Well I guess that removes any question about if a tractor is a musician.... :D

I met a DJ who just uses a spotify playlist as his setlist, he literally stands there presses play and BOOM, people think he's a genius, and he gets PAID to do this, we live in a crazy world.

Music is organised sound.
Music is more than simply organized sound. The fan over my head at work makes organized sound. It is not music.

As for a DJ being a musician, LOL.......but I guess I shouldn't be surprised that people in this day and age think so. Word. :rolleyes:

Back