The de-evolution of live music.....yes a DJ is a musician Bobby

I consider them....DJs. They're not musicians to me. They might be on some level, but what they do up on that stage in front of those huge crowds of white people is not musicianship. That's DJing. They're entertainers for sure.

I know some of them create their own music and sounds and samples and shit. That's being a musician. Just playing them for people from a laptop is not being a musician. That's being a DJ.

The Floozies, Sunsquabi, The Pimps of Joytime, and a whole bunch of others are playing instruments to loops they have created and turned into songs. Live instruments with funky electronic loops. It works.

Hey gerg, I'm going up to Seattle next week. Gonna hang out with Lucky13 on Thursday night. Ima tell him you said hi even though you haven't yet.

Attachments

• GB.jpg
    GB.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1
Hey gerg, I'm going up to Seattle next week. Gonna hang out with Lucky13 on Thursday night. Ima tell him you said hi even though you haven't yet.

gonna be hangin' with jr97 all weekend. We're doing the Seattle to Portland ride. Remember him?

---------- Update ----------

I'm gonna tell them TAE said hi, too! :)

One thing I will say is that this kind of music doesn't translate well to recordings, IMO. The energy doesn't come across at all, but at the shows, when there's thousands of people partying and shit, it works. Well.

Mob mentality is quite a phenomenon to experience....and it can go both ways... good and bad...when it's good, it's can really be quite cool....when it goes bad....it can go really bad...I've experienced both.

There's an energy that happens that you can't bottle or capture but for sure it's there...

Is a DJ a musician? IMO yes...computers and turntables are just newer musical instruments..new tools in the gig bag...

You have my permission to pass along a hello.

gonna be hangin' with jr97 all weekend. We're doing the Seattle to Portland ride. Remember him?

Hmmm, barely. I remember the screen name barely, but don't remember the shmoe behind the screen name. Was he chinese?

Mannnn,I remember starting that thread here, "Is a DJ a Musician"? about 122 years ago! :D

Here's a qwik performance by DJ MixMaster Mike of the Beastie Boys scratchin' up a tightly syncopated, percussive groove on the "1's & 2's" @ the "Kennedy Center Honors Herbie Hancock" on Herbie's classic funk hit "Rockit" (w. Marcus Miller on bass)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWw-j9Q4q2k

Last edited:
Sweet QQ! Yeah definitely in that situation das dj is a bad ass percussionist

DJ is playing as complicated a rhythm with his fingers as Drummer is playing with his sticks. That makes them both musicians in my book. They're just playing different instruments.

DJ is playing as complicated a rhythm with his fingers as Drummer is playing with his sticks. That makes them both musicians in my book. They're just playing different instruments.
That brings to mind some of these street drummers. To passers-by they could just be some guys with trash cans and paint buckets. But boy, oh boy! When they start to play!
The music that comes out of those 5 gallon buckets.

Almost anything that is capable of producing a sound can be used as an instrument. The talent of the one playing the thing is the key.

Last edited:
I think the definition of a DJ has changed in the last few years. They used to mash up previous recordings together and press play in front of an audience. Now they are using technology to create their own loops. It's one step up on the ladder of creativity. Then they are playing instruments along with those loops while in front of an audience which makes it even better. Greg disagrees.

Back