"The best" threads

emergencyexit said:
So quit your crying, and help someone out.

No need to be a dick about it.

Ben
Ironic, seeing as for REAL questions, I'm one of the more helpful people on the board (not that there's any real way to measure that). The vast majority of my posts are answers to questions, or my input on a certain topic, or comments on people's recorded work.

sile2001 said:
Ironic, seeing as for REAL questions, I'm one of the more helpful people on the board (not that there's any real way to measure that). The vast majority of my posts are answers to questions, or my input on a certain topic, or comments on people's recorded work.

And your complaining about it why? Don't you get pleasure from knowing that people take your advice in and respect it greatly?

Ben

emergencyexit said:
And your complaining about it why? Don't you get pleasure from knowing that people take your advice in and respect it greatly?

Ben
I'm not complaining about people asking questions. I'm complaining about people asking the WRONG questions.

A good teacher will not necessarily give you the answer to a question. A good teacher will teach you how to find out the answer yourself.

When I was looking to purchase some overhead mics, I didn't just come in and say "what's the best drum overheads?" My question showed that I had actually put some effort into researching it myself. My question was (paraphrased) "I'm looking for some drum overheads that may also need to serve for piano and vocal ensembles. So far I've been looking at the SM81 and the MC-012 and (etc.). Some people have reported such-and-such a problem with such-and-such a mic that makes it unsuitable for this certain purpose, and I was wondering if anyone could confirm that problem. The response graphs show the SM81's to be very flat in response. Does this help for drum overheads, or is a more contoured response eaiser to work with?"

I showed that I had actually done some research of my own and was just wanting to verify my conclusions with people's experience. I wasn't asking for people to come up with my conclusions for me. There's a big difference.

sile2001 said:
I'm not complaining about people asking questions. I'm complaining about people asking the WRONG questions.

A good teacher will not necessarily give you the answer to a question. A good teacher will teach you how to find out the answer yourself.

When I was looking to purchase some overhead mics, I didn't just come in and say "what's the best drum overheads?" My question showed that I had actually put some effort into researching it myself. My question was (paraphrased) "I'm looking for some drum overheads that may also need to serve for piano and vocal ensembles. So far I've been looking at the SM81 and the MC-012 and (etc.). Some people have reported such-and-such a problem with such-and-such a mic that makes it unsuitable for this certain purpose, and I was wondering if anyone could confirm that problem. The response graphs show the SM81's to be very flat in response. Does this help for drum overheads, or is a more contoured response eaiser to work with?"

I showed that I had actually done some research of my own and was just wanting to verify my conclusions with people's experience. I wasn't asking for people to come up with my conclusions for me. There's a big difference.

And I agree with everything said here... but you should teach that shouldn't you? I'm not saying you don't, but if you consider yourself one of the ones answering most of the questions around here, then aren't you in a way a teacher?

I know its cheesy but come one why are you saying there are such things as stupid questions, I'm pretty sure we all learned in grade school that this isn't true. :rolleyes:

Ben

The other thing worth bearing in mind is that trends in people's thinking change over time ... go back a couple of years and you could be fooled into believing the M-Audio DMP-3 was the only budget preamp worth buying, that M-Audio Deltas were the only starter sound card options and that the MXL V67G and SP B1s were the only mics worth owning.

'Ford Van' is a classic example of someone who now advocates budget gear from the likes of Behringer, but who used to think quite differently! ;)

easychair said:
Maybe something like a microphone FAQ at the top of the forum would be a good idea. :confused:
Or a top thread explaining how mics work and how their differences determine their use? That might be helpful. :p

Harvey Gerst said:
Or a top thread explaining how mics work and how their differences determine their use? That might be helpful. :p
But who could possibly write it? :confused: :D ;)

noisedude said:
The other thing worth bearing in mind is that trends in people's thinking change over time ...
And the other trend in people's thinking that changed is that people used to actually try to come up with answers on their own instead of expecting people to hand them the answers on a silver platter.

I blame GOOGLE!

;)

emergencyexit said:
I know its cheesy but come one why are you saying there are such things as stupid questions, I'm pretty sure we all learned in grade school that this isn't true. :rolleyes:

Ben

Hmm...I guess that I personally believe that there IS such a thing as a stupid question. Most aren't, but they do exist. If there's a question that someone doesn't yet have the knowledge to deduce or research (as in the case of children), or if there's some extenuating (sp?) circumstance where there is no time to deduce or research, then I would consider such questions reasonable. However, if it's just a case of someone being too lazy to look anything up on their own, or where they ask a question that should be common sense, then I would consider that a stupid question.

When I look at stupid questions that I've asked before, I can see that I learned the answer and that is all. When I've researched it, I can see everything that I learned along the way. Not only did I get the answer, but I learned HOW to get it, and I learned a lot of other things that could also be useful.

If I ask the question "what's the best live stage vocal mic?", I might get people responding with lots of different mics, which is simply an individual's opinion. Let's say someone just responds with "the Beta 87A...hands down". Did I learn that the Beta 87A was the best live stage vocal mic? No, I just learned that JimBob over there likes it the best. However, if I look at some of the basic info in the Mic FAQ by Harvey Gerst, then I will learn that the Beta 87A might be a pretty good choice because of the extra clarity that condensers can sometimes lend and because it is supercardiod, which provides decent off-axis rejection. I could also learn about the characteristics and applications of cardiod, hypercardiod, omni and figure-8 along the way and be that much better off for it.

Just my own thoughts...I'm not asking for anyone to agree with me.

There's nothing wrong with being agitated by stupid questions. Can't we all just hate stupid questions, and belittle the people who ask them ... and do it in peace?

It's our right. :D

I FREAKIN' HATE STUPID QUESTIONS!!! LEARN TO USE THE GODDANG SEARCH FUNCTION, IDIOT!!! HA HA ! ! ! ! ! !

There. I feel so much better now. Like a giant cloud of negativity has been lifted from me. I now feel like smiling at my neighbors and giving to the poor.

Back