"The best" threads

I swear, if I see one more "what's the best mic(s) for such-and-such" thread, then I will not be held responsible for my actions.

I'm pretty damn sure that every reasonable situation has been covered before, so there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be able to find it in a search.

Jeez...

Agree!

My ratio for searched/read posts versus new posts is probably 1000:1

There is so much info in these archives it could be a full time job. Marik, Harvey, Kidvybes, PhilGood, and a bunch of others have invested tons of time on these boards...THANKS!

Plus, there simply aren't THAT many new mics coming out!

-h1pst3r

You dont say :D

sile2001 said:
I swear, if I see one more "what's the best mic(s) for such-and-such" thread, then I will not be held responsible for my actions.

I'm pretty damn sure that every reasonable situation has been covered before, so there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be able to find it in a search.

Jeez...

We need more "Worst" threads! What's the worst mic for ________?

The answer is the Green Bullet! Which is why you must own one!

Unless we are talking about harmonica, then never mind :o

Nominated for the prestigious "sticky"

Q: What's the best mic under $100?

A: There aren't any. At least, now that Green Bullets are going for $125.

Q: Please compare the Suzy Wong RXB-9900 with the Yellow Peril 1000.

A: One is what you find in a cow pasture, the other is found in a horse corral.

Q: Can I use the mic that came with the sound card for drum overheads?

A: Hell, why not?

Q: How did the vocalist from the Crotch Rockets get that sound on their big hit?

A: He didn't. Some engineer with several thousand $$$ worth of mics did it for him. But if you want to copy someone else's work (and I have no idea why anyone would want to) you'll probably need more than a Chinese mic and a cracked copy of Cool Edit.

sile2001 said:

Jeez...
I agree - there's really no reason to start any new thread anywhere ever again.

I find it funny. I have been hanging around here since 1998 (different username then...;)).

I believe that the reason most of you found this place is because this was a place where questions got answers. The reason many of you stay is because you felt you could ask questions and get real life answers.

Yes, you can probably find just about every scenario in some past thread (although, I believe you can only search back until 2002? Or was it 2000?), so, if somebody is feeling shy, they can just do a search.

But really, the reason why this place THRIVES is BECAUSE people ask questions, and people get answers.

So, you are suggesting that all questions stop? I mean, if "every reasonable situation has been covered before," then there can be no new questions right? This place would ground to a halt.

Also, people tend to retain what they learn by sharing what they learn with others. I guess what you are saying is that people shouldn't have their OWN chance to share what they learn?

Yeah, it can get a bit tedious answering the same ol' "which mic under $x is the best for y". If you are sick of it, take a break. Seriously, just take a break and go actually RECORD something.

I have at one point or another covered everything somewhat pertinent to recording at one point or another. At times, I don't feel the urge to repeat myself on some topics. On others, I don't mind. Something about a new audience. ;)

There are PLENTY of other discussions going on at this BBS. Go get involved in some of them. You might be surprised what you can learn. And hopefully, when you ask something really elementary, like "What is dither?", or "Should I record at 88.2KHz so that the sample rate conversion to 44.1KHz is better because every other sample just has to be dropped?", or "When I use a compressor, the output of the track is lower. It is too low in the mix now. What should I do?", hopefully, some jackazz doesn't come along saying "Do a search". ;)

I would give Ford Van some rep points, but I know how much he hates those.

Complaining about people that ask questions on a BBS that was intended for people to ask questions is kinda stupid.

I don't mind people asking questions...that's the whole reason for the existence of this board. I just find it amusing that probably 9 times out of 10, if they put the subject of their thread in the search box instead, they probably would have found 5 other threads dealing with the same exact question.

I don't mind questions. I just wish people would do a quick search and glance over the titles of the first 5 or 10 thread results, and if nothing looks promising...THEN ask the question.

And I wish people would be a little more free to experiment with stuff. On more than a few occasions, I got stunning results on a track by doing something the exact opposite way from how people on this board suggested it. People feel that "mistakes" are a bad thing...that they have to get it exactly right the first time. I learned that mistakes are inevitable, so instead of trying to avoid them, I just put them in my "oh...so that's what happens" box. The best miked drum sound I ever got was when I put the mics in a configuration that people here said was a recipie for disaster.

Just TRY stuff!

sile2001 said:
I don't mind people asking questions...that's the whole reason for the existence of this board. I just find it amusing that probably 9 times out of 10, if they put the subject of their thread in the search box instead, they probably would have found 5 other threads dealing with the same exact question.

I don't mind questions. I just wish people would do a quick search and glance over the titles of the first 5 or 10 thread results, and if nothing looks promising...THEN ask the question.

And I wish people would be a little more free to experiment with stuff. On more than a few occasions, I got stunning results on a track by doing something the exact opposite way from how people on this board suggested it. People feel that "mistakes" are a bad thing...that they have to get it exactly right the first time. I learned that mistakes are inevitable, so instead of trying to avoid them, I just put them in my "oh...so that's what happens" box. The best miked drum sound I ever got was when I put the mics in a configuration that people here said was a recipie for disaster.

Just TRY stuff!

I kind of sounds like you should take a break from here. Really. No offense, but you should pretty angry about the REALITY of this site. You can't fight it, and bitchin' about it just bring on a negative view of you.

Again, go get involved in some other discussions. The Microphone forum IS very redundant. But, that isn't going to change, and certainly won't change because of your suggestions. ;)

vestast said:
I would give Ford Van some rep points, but I know how much he hates those.

Complaining about people that ask questions on a BBS that was intended for people to ask questions is kinda stupid.

Bring them on! If I can't beat the system, I will join it. ;)

I'd like to add that I don't see anything wrong with them. I've been hanging around here for quite some time but have barely posted anything. Yes I do find most of what I need by doing a search (hell, unlike other boards you don't even need to log in here to do a search), but I also like the unexpected turns that most "newbie question" threads tend to take.

There are centuries of experience on the board and all it needs is a catalyst to trigger it.Bring on the "Best Lava Lamp bang for the buck" thread!

qiktune said:
but I also like the unexpected turns that most "newbie question" threads tend to take.

!

I've learned a lot trying to answer questions. Either I do research about something I don't know, or have to put what I know into something people can understand.

Just TRY stuff! --sile2001

Geez, how many times and how many ways can we say it? It's not like there's only one way to do things. In fact, it's not even like there's only one way I do things! "Should I mic the amp or use a DI?" Well, I don't know. What does it sound like when you do one or the other, and is one or the other the sound you are looking for? Or are you uncomfortable with the concept that **you** are trying to achieve something, and instead you want someone else to do your thinking for you?

And what if I tell you to do it one way, and the results suck, merely because you are not recording in my room with my gear using the musicians I am recording? You're kind of up a creek then, aren't you?

And another thing: I haven't tried out every Chinese mic in the market, and I haven't played every electric guitar or amplifier or combination of the two. I'm only human.

What I HAVE done is what I'm telling you to do: tried stuff, made mistakes, come to conclusions about styles and gear, and then I put down real dollars for what I thought would get me where I wanted to go. Sometimes I made the wrong choice, but it wasn't the end of the world. A lot of times I made the right (or at least, not-bad) choice, after doing far more research than posting a question at a forum about what I should buy. I'd like to point out that, there is NO big music store within 100 miles of where I live, so bopping down to GC or Mics-R-Us is not an option.

One last thing: sometimes, when I didn't get the results I was trying for, I got something better. Imagine that! Doing something that wasn't a copy of what someone else had already done!

Other than that, I love answering questions. Sometimes I give the correct answer, but only when the correct question has been asked. That's just my own limitation, not being able to read minds.

Just TRY stuff.

Ford Van said:
I believe that the reason most of you found this place is because this was a place where questions got answers. The reason many of you stay is because you felt you could ask questions and get real life answers.

......And because you enjoy answering questions and passing along the knowledge you accumulate. Really, it would be pretty quiet around here if everybody just did a search. I say just ignore the threads you're not interested in and let the newbs ask the question for the 100th time, and the newly not so newbs answer them for their first time. It's the circle of life in a microcosm.

-RD

Lets say I want to know what the best cat food I can get for my x breed cat that is y years old for under $z. I do a search on a site like this but for for cat food and find 10 posts about this topic from a couple of different people, and get all the answers I need from them. Well nothing in life is for certain, so I do a post anyway to get more people telling me the same thing. Doesn't this only more confirm my decision to listen to the original people? Seriously... your not the only person on this board who can answer my questions, and I'd like to give the other ones a chance to. So quit your crying, and help someone out.

No need to be a dick about it.

Ben

Back