The Best Rap You've Heard In Years...

mrT

posted in the Hip-hop forum too, figured more people will listen this way...

It's a cocky statement but listen and tell me if you agree. One MC from Philadelphia one from Houston. Soon to be famous so you heard it here first. Just uped this stuff and finally got on the myspace bandwagon. These are just rough cuts though...Final products soon to come

http://myspace.com/graphicrecords

P.S. If you just hate rap don't bother with the flames... actually flame if you want. It's not like I'll actually care :p

I listened to Too Hard.....sounds pretty good to me. Not a huge rap fan, but this smoother stuff is pretty good....nice voice. Captued well, and mixed in well.

Also It's A Shame....pretty good also. I like the intro with the high voice...nice effect for this tune. Nice melody for the tune also....sounds good man.....

I don't hate rap, so I'm not flaming you for that reason. I just have a question. Why is it that rappers are all convinced that their track is the best you've ever heard? I've never seen someone post a rock song and say, "This is the best rock song you've ever heard."
Is the inflated confidence what draws the attention from real fans?

It's a serious question.

For one... I don't rap. Never have never will. I love rap music, I love making rap music but I am not a rapper. Second, I didn't say that it was the best rap ever. I said best in years. I personally (and I know other people do too) think that almost all the rap that is played on the radio has been shit. I don't think that this is the best rap material ever recorded. But I do think that it is better than 99% of what gets played on the radio... And it's only rough takes. I'm going to rerecord almost all of those vocals. Some of it isn't quite on point because alot of it was a straight freestyle. This is some raw talent, you have to admit.

I think Metalhead's point was not whether you said "ever" in "in years". The point is that it's only people that are associated with rap music always pumping their chests, claiming they're the best ("in years" or "ever"...whatever) and putting down everyone else. I'm not saying you did all of those things, but there's this annoying macho bravado that's always used when promoting rap music as if it's sssooooooo much different than anything other rappers are doing. There doesn't seem to be a hip-hop "community" at all. You go to the hip-hop forum, and even if someone's complimenting someone else, which is rare, it's always followed by "go check out my bomb-ass shit, man".
When I had a Soundclick page, every type of musician would leave messages saying things like "listened to your music, good stuff"...with, MAYBE an invitation to check them out. The rappers always come in with nothing but "Yo, check out my tracks, the BEST shit you've heard ("ever" or "in years"...whatever)", that they obviously copied and pasted all over the internet. I just find it all very pretentious and insecure. If I had a dollar for every time a rapper claimed he was "the best", I'd be filthy rich.

Having said that, this is good stuff for it's style. Very good.

I would not normally criticize someone too harshly on this sort of stuff. It definitely sounds good. Kudos to you for that. But since you're boasting....

I listened to "Too Hard".

Upon what do we judge it's superiority? Seriously.
Is it the tone of their voice? The subject matter of their rap? The subject matter seems to be the standard fare of "I'm a pimp and I'm awesome" and all of that business, and the voice is somewhat uninteresting.
Is it the complexity of the rhymes or the emotion in their delivery? It's rap....there is really no discernable emotion in the delivery. Plus I'm not too amazed to hear "pimp" rhymed with "limp" so I'll just abandon the complexity thing too....where is the overflowing of "Raw Talent" that we are supposed to pick up on?

If I was judging the merit of a standard rock recording I would have all of these things to go by. I could judge a singer by their range, their tone, their emotion, their pitch. I could judge the rhythm section of the band on their tightnes and their creativity. I could judge the lead instrument based on it's tone, it's melodic sensibility, and it's technique. I could easily argue the merits of a great rock band. With something like "Too Hard" I am just left with a general sense of confusion over your statements.

I guess all in all, I don't understand what makes this better than any other rap song I've ever heard. Especially those in recent years as you've suggested. I'm not cutting down the song, I'm just analyzing your boast.
I would not do that to most of the humble folks who just want to share their music.

you really don't listen to rap so your opinion is noted and all but I don't think I'll give it much weight. Too Hard is the first two verses of the whole sone so it's just a clip. and since myspace only lets you put 4 songs on I can't post the top 15 out of maybe 40 tracks we've recorded as I would like. so I guess part my fault for not letting you guys in on the extent of theeir lyrical talent. But Like I said you really don't listen to rap so you really wouldn't know what to judge it on.

PS, What I meant by that is I know these guys aren't cross-over hits. I don't expect them to appeal to anyone who doesn't already like rap.

mrT said:
you really don't listen to rap so your opinion is noted and all but I don't think I'll give it much weight.
First of all, just because nobody got on their kneesand praised the tune as the second frigging coming, doesn't mean that "we don't listen to rap". I listen to all kinds of music, and have some Dre. Dogpound, Snoop, Tupac, and a few newer artists in my collection, though I like the older stuff better. What you put up is good, but really nothing that special or original...Certainly not "the best rap" I've heard in years or even days.
Besides, if you're going to blow off people's opinions just because they don't listen to rap, as if to say that only a rap fan's opinion matters, then why did you ever leave the HIP-HOP Forum? Not getting enough "compliments" in there either?

mrT said:
you really don't listen to rap so your opinion is noted and all but I don't think I'll give it much weight. Too Hard is the first two verses of the whole sone so it's just a clip. and since myspace only lets you put 4 songs on I can't post the top 15 out of maybe 40 tracks we've recorded as I would like. so I guess part my fault for not letting you guys in on the extent of theeir lyrical talent. But Like I said you really don't listen to rap so you really wouldn't know what to judge it on.

PS, What I meant by that is I know these guys aren't cross-over hits. I don't expect them to appeal to anyone who doesn't already like rap.

I don't listen to country either, and yet when I hear a good country song it's impossible for me not to notice it. I could even say that I don't commonly listen to classical guitar or flamenco, and yet I am floored by the talent of our own Tim Lawler. Needless to say, when I do hear an interesting or unusually well done rap song I will definitely perk up and acknowledge it. My wife listens to that sort of thing alot so I hear plenty of it....voluntarily or not. Most of it to me seems to be based on simple exploitation of trendy catch phrases or the same pointless self-affirmation. To me, a rap song that rises above this typical garbage is rare but definitely appreciated. I also don't have to be a rap fan to pick up on a good sounding voice or an interesting sense of rhythm or flow.
In fact, I would imagine that cross over appeal would be the best way of determining a songs value in any genre. For example, a really average heavy metal song will appeal to lots of metalheads, but an exceptional one will command respect from people from many different areas of interest. The same could be said for rap music. ESPECIALLY if you're giving any weight to what gets played on the radio.

metalhead28 said:
ESPECIALLY if you're giving any weight to what gets played on the radio.

I'm not... Don't get me wrong. I wasn't pissed or anything but you don't listen to rap. That means you have no basis for comparisson other than the radio friendly shit or whatever you have been "forced" to listen to. If you don't like rap I don't expect you to like this. Cross-over appeal is not a goal for this music. Just trying to make quality rap. nothing more nothing less. I'm also guessing that even if you listened to what the lyrics said that you personally wouldn't relate to them. Not that everyone would. talking in circles... thanks for replying though. at least you listened to it. I do appreciate that.

mrT said:
Just trying to make quality rap. nothing more nothing less.
I thought it was the "best rap in years"...That's quite a lowering of standards in a few hours. And I think you should re-read what Metal said in his last post, you might have missed the point. Good luck to you. :)

I listened to Too Hard.....

I enjoyed the rhyming and the beats and the delivery reminded me of Fifty Cent a bit.

But - I am not a big fan of swearing in any genre. I know "everybody does it" nowadays but I still think a good song can stand up on its own without obscenities - that's the end of my rant...

Pretty good otherwise and I look forward to saying I heard it here first...... ;)

ido1957 said:
I listened to Too Hard.....

I enjoyed the rhyming and the beats and the delivery reminded me of Fifty Cent a bit.

But - I am not a big fan of swearing in any genre. I know "everybody does it" nowadays but I still think a good song can stand up on its own without obscenities - that's the end of my rant...

Pretty good otherwise and I look forward to saying I heard it here first...... ;)

Unfortunately I don't think the real world is as nice as you are. Just trying to keep it relevant

Drive All Day said:
First off, I like rap. I thought it was okay. Not spectacular, and I don't think they will be ever be popular. sorry.

since when did popular=good? It's better than 99% of the Shit that gets airplay. You don't have to agree with me, I didn't post this for applause I just want to know what you think. I realize that this isn't exactly the most friendly place for this but any publicity is good publicity. Now if you see them someday you'll thinkn back to this... And if not; I think I'll be just fine knowing I made it:cool:

btw: this is pretty much demoish stuff. We wanted to track the songs we could and edit down. We recorded about 40 songs between the two rappers and cut the number down to 11 or 12 for an album. Now we're going to go back and rerecord all of the songs and elaborate a little on what is there. It's kinda like an advance copy. So I hope to impress you a little more with the production when I'm fully devoted to a particular song.

Mr T,

we are trying to help you. Insulting people, questioning their opinions will not make you a better musician. Just take the help and ignore what you dont agree with.

Too Hard was mediocre at best. No I am not a rapper but I am a good musician capable of enjoying lots of music. It wasnt particularly thought out, clever, original or umm, errr, relevant.

I realize that this isn't exactly the most friendly place for this but any publicity is good publicity. Now if you see them someday you'll thinkn back to this... And if not; I think I'll be just fine knowing I made it

Sorry my friend, but you need better music before you can have that kind of ego. This is perhaps the friendliest place I have ever seen, people helping people improve their music. If you drop the act and the crap, these fellas are immensely helpful.

yes I know the people here are helpful. But not so much when it comes to content. So one person doesn't like swearing and another person doesn't like guns and another doesn't like how the beats sound. and in the end if I payed attention to those comments I'd be making someone elses music(Will smith *caugh*). The help I get from this forum is more technical than influence on content and how to have a radio friendly crossover rap hit. Maybe Toby Keith is open for a duet??? But if you are gonna tell me it's not that great just tell me what you think is better rap so I can judge how much I really do think about your opinion. And I welcome any comments good or bad on the production. I thought it'd be more about that too. Everyone is just thinking of the rapper. There are beats to be made and songs to be mixed... you guys of all people should know that.

I Think I'm getting a little off topic. SO... If you don't like it at least let me know what you do like; Any production comments welcome; Thanks to everyone that gave it a listen

In all honesty, mrT.
The stuff on the page certainly wasn't bad, but the best stuff in years??
That would lead me to believe you're missing out on A LOT of good hiphop.
I'm not sure why most emcees have huge egos, but i agree that most do.
Which I find sad, being an emcee myself.
The thread title was a bold statement.

In the end though, It all comes down to taste, which is not only impossible, but pointless to argue.

...That being said, I dug the stuff on the page.
Isn't exactly my taste in hiphop, but It's dope.
props.

But if you are gonna tell me it's not that great just tell me what you think is better rap so I can judge how much I really do think about your opinion.

This seems to be the problem: you dont want peoples personal opinions yet you want us to compare it to others and thus give a personal opinion.

Hows this:

Its lacking in effects. The rap music I have enjoyed is slick, has clever doubling effects, have various types of reverb and eq on select sections/voices, has clever sound effects, better musical arrangements, more easily understood lyrics, a more original feel, a more unique arrangement, creative orchestrations, a more appealing lead vocal, better structure and more musical cohesion.

Back