The Beatles Mixing............?

so what then is really wrong with say panning the drums hard left? if you can balance out the dB with everything else in the mix like george martin did? so it doesn't sound lopsided, but you have guitars on one side, drums on one side, bass on one side, vocals, etc.

most people can't tell if a song is poorly recorded unless they hear an abnormal amount of hiss... so I guess it wouldn't apply to the general public... people listen to 64kbps mp3s and are content. I guess you could sell any crap recording is the person was famous and it was good song writing/performance.

Nik D said:
Bass waves have no directionality because they're so long. I think that panning the bass that little wouldn't make much of a diffrence in the end.

Unless the L speaker and R speaker end up through some typical audio Gremlin interference of being out of phase, or one cone pushes while the other one pulls.

Then you, my friend, will sound like total butt. :)

grn said:
so what then is really wrong with say panning the drums hard left? if you can balance out the dB with everything else in the mix like george martin did? so it doesn't sound lopsided, but you have guitars on one side, drums on one side, bass on one side, vocals, etc.

Unless you are going for a special effect it sounds wrong--really wrong on headphones. It doesn't take advantage of the full stereo spectrum. It just sounds dumb to me. Go for it if you want. There aren't any rules--I'm just telling you why *I* don't do it.

grn said:
most people can't tell if a song is poorly recorded unless they hear an abnormal amount of hiss... so I guess it wouldn't apply to the general public...

No, they will just think it sounds bad--or worse (if you're a pro engineer) that the BAND sucks. Bands like to record with people that make them sound better than what they really are; they won't record with (for long anyway) someone that makes them sound bad. Unless that album sells a ton for some strange reason.

Nik D said:
Bass waves have no directionality because they're so long. I think that panning the bass that little wouldn't make much of a diffrence in the end.

I should also add I find panning the bass out slightly to whatever side gives me a bit more defenition than having it sat in the middle with the kick drum and the vocals

beatlesthen

i'd read Martin recorded everything like a factory (same set-up pretty much)..
up into Revolver and Rubbers...and on.

really amazing for the equipment (number of tracks)...
he's done a couple books..Ears something and Making Musuc or some sht.

talks about specifics of mixing placements (and why..limitations of equipment).

fhkng amazing really, and White Album is pretty decent sounding.

I love em' all, but have trouble getting the records to play thru my home stereo well, kinda boomy..... headphones are decent.

Abbey Road was pretty good technically too....

Eric Clapton's Playing with my Johnson is a fhkng great new blues record, got groove......sometimes that makes up for some technicalitys.

I still have hit and misses, one song will go great and transfer...next recording like I don't know wht the hell happened...so the factory-consistency kinda impressed me, you shouldn't have to start from total oblivion every fhkng time one records you know?

COOLCAT said:
i'd read Martin recorded everything like a factory (same set-up pretty much)..
up into Revolver and Rubbers...and on.

really amazing for the equipment (number of tracks)...
he's done a couple books..Ears something and Making Musuc or some sht.

talks about specifics of mixing placements (and why..limitations of equipment).

fhkng amazing really, and White Album is pretty decent sounding.

I love em' all, but have trouble getting the records to play thru my home stereo well, kinda boomy..... headphones are decent.

Abbey Road was pretty good technically too....

Eric Clapton's Playing with my Johnson is a fhkng great new blues record, got groove......sometimes that makes up for some technicalitys.

I still have hit and misses, one song will go great and transfer...next recording like I don't know wht the hell happened...so the factory-consistency kinda impressed me, you shouldn't have to start from total oblivion every fhkng time one records you know?
Where can I get that book?

book

probably ebay???

... Making Music edited by George Martin
Quill is the co.

All you need is ears....George Martin Macmillan 1979

yeah he talks about panning and sht, some basic stuff

Pauls bass and Ringo's drum panned here and etc..
...good stuff.

Actually i think all the sht up to RS was like factory, wam bam...mic's go here... guitar tone setup same....but in parrellel talks about 1 track, 2 track, 3 track, 4 track...

Back