That Nady Ribbon is out

capnreverb said:
Saw this on ebay today, so they have finally made it to market. Has anybody seen a review or tried one of these puppies yet. When this was discussed earlier it was only conjecture as to the quality of the mics's innards. Could be cool, could be crap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15198&item=3741915854&rd=1
You could contact the seller and ask... here's the contact info.

Pro Music Stuff...
1-407-264-0004
5960 Lakehurst Drive
Orlando, Florida 32819
http://www.promusicstuff.com

Yeah, I'm sure they could give you a real honest review. Such as

---- "Honestly, we tried it out, and it needs about 6 tons of gain for it to work. Also, with a lot of gain it becomes allmost useless for quiet applications due to it's self noise. We really think it's kind of crappy, but it looks real cool, especailly if you have a vintage stand for it."

or

---- " The warmth is outstanding. The clearness of detail is astonishing. Can compete with all the vintage RCA's, but better. Due to it's current state of the art production, it even surpases those vintage mic's. Also, with advancements in Nady's ribbon technology, you can drop it over and over on a concrete flooor with no ribbon dammage. Also, it's ribbon is so durable you can put it in front of a high speed fan with no dammage. Rod Stewert, Michael Bolton, and Quincy Jones all agree that this is the best mic for all applications ever made."

capnreverb said:
...only conjecture as to the quality of the mics's innards. Could be cool, could be crap.
The things to consider here are the actual ribbon/magnet configuration, the transformer, and the cage surrounding the ribbon. If the transformer is good, it could turn out quite well.

I'd keep checking over at R.A.P. to see when Scott Dorsey and/or some of the other pros over there get their hands on one.

Actually, i'm kinda diggin' on the new PCM mics they've got out:

PCM200_i.jpg

I haven't tried one yet. Haven't found one in a store to try. Anybody heard 'em?

I saw Nady's innard pics. Built quality is quite sloppy. Ribbon corrugated unevenly, with pitch to big for 2um foil--might have problems in long term stability. From the pic it seems it uses 1/8"x1/8"x 2" Neodymium magnets with O-shaped cheaply and sloppy stamped magnetic return circuit. Looking at all this, I highly doubt the transformer is of highest quality.

Don't forget the Nady doesn't offer re-ribboning, so if you blow the ribbon you are on your own.

If that date was written the UK/European way (day/month/year) that review would be from the future :D

so, i thought i might revive this. MF catalog came and there it is, note as a new product. anyone tried the nady RSM ribbon yet?

comments from marik about the innards sound like it's crap (i've read some of marik's mic posts and you know your mic insides 4 Sure dude)

if i go strictly on conjecture, which sounds safe here, i'd think the M160 used is a much better choice for electric guitars (why i want a ribbon)

but i'm curious on this

bubbleboy said:
comments from marik about the innards sound like it's crap

Please note, I said about the innards that they look like cheaply and sloppy made. But it might sound OK, or even good... who knows? Let's wait until Harvey gets his hands on one.
The main thing, which bothers me the most is Nady's customer support. The ribbon mics, as you all know, are somewhat fragile. Nady was very clear, saying "We don't offer re-ribboning" and getting it done somewhere else would run you another $120 plus shipping.

Nady RSM-2 = t.bone RB500?

Giganova said:
That Nady ribbon mic looks exactly like the t.bone RB500 ribbon mic to me, which costs less than half (EUR 129.-), and will be on the market mid-October. Must be the same thing -- for half the price!

T-Bone Ribbon mic

Hey Giga, good eyes! Could we be seeing the first versions of the same Chinese Ribbon mic? The small case, clamp and grille variations between the two units resemble the small differences between various Chinese condenser mic used differentiate one "manufacturer" from another.

According to year-old posts on rec.audio.pro "T-Bones are Chinese mics made for Thomann...The T-Bone model 100 is the SE Electronics/TBK SE-1 mic..."

For half the price the t.bone RB500 looks to be a candidate for DIY hacks like transformer replacement, head grille mods and ribbon tuning.

Giga - what's the source of your news about an October (US?) release of the RB500?

MichaelJoly said:
Giga - what's the source of your news about an October (US?) release of the RB500?
It said "available Oct 15" on the Thomann web site. I just checked again, and now it says "please contact us about delivery time". I'll be in Frankfurt next week and might give them a call.

Back