Teac 3340 or Teac 3440 ?

Sound quality is about the same but the 3440 has more refinements tuned specifically to the multi-tracking musician. So where on the 3340 you have to set 3 different sets of buttons to overdub, on the 3440 you just put it in sync mode and select the track(s) you want to record on. It also has a much better headphone monitoring regime with 1 jack and 4 push-buttons to select the tracks you want to listen to. On the 3340, you have front and rear headphone connections which require quad headphones...which are not made any more.

Basically, the 3340 was a quadraphonic deck, jury rigged to be a multi-tracker and 3440 was designed to be a multi-tracker, period.

Cheers! :)

I've owned both and like the 3440 better both sound wise and because the 3440 is a more usable deck in terms of multitrack recording. I sold both of them some time ago and still wish I had of kept the 3440 (there is a photo of it somewhere on the list with the Mahogany panels - found it: https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...-tape-and-gear/teac-a3440-price-slump-226674/ )

They were both discrete transistor circuits and the 3440 had a very pleasing sound.

If you were to look for a more "modern" deck you might consider a 34b which is IC based and a nice deck too. I currently own a 34b.

Last edited:
Back