Tascam TM-D1000

DanielJohn

I've had this mixer for a while, but haven't tried out many other mixers, what are your guys thoughts on this mixer? Anyone?

I use one also. I think it is a damned fine mixer for the price - even better if you install the expansion cards for more channels/effects/digital I/O. It is a little intimidating for someone making the jump from an analog mixer, but after you get the hang of it, the mixer is pretty straightforward. Plus, you can get that demo video with that aussie bloke tickling the TM-D1000 in all the right places - that video helps more than the manual(s).

But maybe I am a bit biased - I have been a loyal TASCAM user for over 15 years and have yet to be unhappy with their products.

Brad

ahh yes the aussie guy, that was pretty funny how he gets all excited.
Have you been able to add more than one effect to a channel? I never could figure it out...

I almost bought the TM-D1000.... nice little digital mixer.
I like that it has onboard dynamics.. comps, etc... I ended up opting for the Fostex VM200 though. Onboard ADAT i/o, motorized faders, and a price of $350 were the clinching factors. I still may get the TM-D1000 though... have either of you tried using at as a MIDI controller for the DAW? The VM200 works wonderfully as a MIDI controller and I'd want the TMD1000 to useable as another controller.

JR#97 said:
I ended up opting for the Fostex VM200 though. Onboard ADAT i/o, motorized faders, and a price of $350 were the clinching factors. I still may get the TM-D1000 though... .

JR,
I am new to digital mixers. Are you saying that the TASCAM does not have automated fader action?

he means where the faders actually move and you can watch them, its more nifty, :)
Tascam has it, but not motorized, so you can't watch the faders go.
-DAN

Dan,
So the fader settings can be automated on the Tascam but
they will not physically ride up and down, hmm. Thanks

Dan, JR, and all other digital mixer owners,

As long as I have your ear, I use the Ark24 which has 8 Analog
ins/outs, SP/DIF, TOSLINK,ADAT/MIDI in and out. I don't know much about digital so this will probably sound pretty stupid. I currently use a small Mackie board and I also use an older 4-tracker (just the board part) for the extra mic pre's. I record on PA9 (soon to upgrade to SONAR). I plan to invest in a better board soon and I can't decide between analog and digital. Bet your wondering when I'm going to get around to a question here. So here goes:
1 - If I buy a Tascam digital board, I still will be going in with the 8 ins from the Ark24, so it won't stay digital. Does this mean that my signal is going to go from D/A on the board to A/D into the computer? Won't going thru xtra conversions hurt the sound?
2- When I go digital in from the Tascam thru the Ark: will this give me only a stereo in, or will it be like using say a the USB428, where I will be able to use all the seperate digital channels on the board?
3- Will the Tascam (or any digital mixer) act as a control surface for my software, allowing me to manipulate the faders, etc in PA9
4- Finally, can I get the opinion of Tascam and Fostex VM200 owners as to the quality of their mic pre's and EQ's and effects?

Thanks to all in advance.
Terry

UZZA said:
Dan,
So the fader settings can be automated on the Tascam but
they will not physically ride up and down, hmm. Thanks

Dan, JR, and all other digital mixer owners,

As long as I have your ear, I use the Ark24 which has 8 Analog
ins/outs, SP/DIF, TOSLINK,ADAT/MIDI in and out. I don't know much about digital so this will probably sound pretty stupid. I currently use a small Mackie board and I also use an older 4-tracker (just the board part) for the extra mic pre's. I record on PA9 (soon to upgrade to SONAR). I plan to invest in a better board soon and I can't decide between analog and digital. Bet your wondering when I'm going to get around to a question here. So here goes:
1 - If I buy a Tascam digital board, I still will be going in with the 8 ins from the Ark24, so it won't stay digital. Does this mean that my signal is going to go from D/A on the board to A/D into the computer? Won't going thru xtra conversions hurt the sound?
2- When I go digital in from the Tascam thru the Ark: will this give me only a stereo in, or will it be like using say a the USB428, where I will be able to use all the seperate digital channels on the board?
3- Will the Tascam (or any digital mixer) act as a control surface for my software, allowing me to manipulate the faders, etc in PA9
4- Finally, can I get the opinion of Tascam and Fostex VM200 owners as to the quality of their mic pre's and EQ's and effects?

Thanks to all in advance.
Terry

Since I don't have a TM-D1000, I can't vouche for it... But my VM200 is awesome. I currently connect to my PC and transfer tracks via the onboard ADAT i/o from my Fostex FD-8 digital hd recorder. Depending on what I'm doing, sometimes I'll send the PC output via ADAT back to the mixer and do the mix on the digital mixer. Other times I'll just use the mixer to be a control surface. For Sonar, it works like a charm. I have 113 assignable controllers available from the VM200. I have set-ups for 20 faders, pan knobs, effect sends, mutes, channel selects... Having the motrorized faders is mana from heaven! Sure blows the doors off of mouse mixing! In total, I can have 105 different faders. I can also set-up MMC control as well.

The FX on the VM200 are ok. 2 fx processors, but no dynamic fx. The EQ is awesome. 4 band fully parametric with 12 rotary knobs which means less switching. The display on the VM200 is very informative and everything is viewable with only a button click or two. No massive menues to wade through. Very intuitive. I was a bit turned off by the tiny TM-D1000 display.

Ok, sorry Tascam fans! I am a long time Tascam user! But the VM200 is awesome! I'm still looking at adding the TM-D1000 however. It would complement my VM200 very well.

hi guys,

great, I just wanted to start a threadabout the Tm-D1000 till I noticed there allready was one.

I was considering buying one of those new Soundcraft M mixers (the M4) but recentely I saw an ad of a guy selling his tascam TM-D1000 for €500 (the value of the €uro is equal to that of the dollar I read in the papers yesterday:))., where the new M4 even cost me at least €670.

Do you guys think it's a good deal? I know thetm-d1000 is an older mixer, but I use it for some homerecording: that the pre's aren't that fancy is ok, and I don't need tons of inputs.

I also don't deem to find a nice site about the TM-D1000 that just claims the specs simple. Any of you a site suggestion?

The M4 costs how much? American Music Supply is selling the M12 for arounf 679 american dollars (round up to $700) and the M8/M4 are down in price from that. You should check it out. I am debating over going with a digital monitor right now, but if I don't I am going to go with the Spirit M series. Everything I read and hear about them is positive.

JR#97 said:

Since I don't have a TM-D1000, I can't vouche for it... But my VM200 is awesome. I currently connect to my PC and transfer tracks via the onboard ADAT i/o from my Fostex FD-8 digital hd recorder. Depending on what I'm doing, sometimes I'll send the PC output via ADAT back to the mixer and do the mix on the digital mixer. Other times I'll just use the mixer to be a control surface. For Sonar, it works like a charm. I have 113 assignable controllers available from the VM200. I have set-ups for 20 faders, pan knobs, effect sends, mutes, channel selects... Having the motrorized faders is mana from heaven! Sure blows the doors off of mouse mixing! In total, I can have 105 different faders. I can also set-up MMC control as well.

The FX on the VM200 are ok. 2 fx processors, but no dynamic fx. The EQ is awesome. 4 band fully parametric with 12 rotary knobs which means less switching. The display on the VM200 is very informative and everything is viewable with only a button click or two. No massive menues to wade through. Very intuitive. I was a bit turned off by the tiny TM-D1000 display.

Thanks JR. The VM200 is kind of hard to find. How are the mic pre's?

UZZA said:
The M4 costs how much? American Music Supply is selling the M12 for arounf 679 american dollars (round up to $700) and the M8/M4 are down in price from that. You should check it out. I am debating over going with a digital monitor right now, but if I don't I am going to go with the Spirit M series. Everything I read and hear about them is positive.

It seems that in the US music material still is lots cheaper. Over here $670 is the cheapest price I found for a M4! That's because why I am searching the second hand market to find a bargain, and the tascam Tm-D1000 seemed quit ok. But I'd rather stay analog for now, because I tend to work with the Delta series, so with digital mixer I have a double A/D conversion.

UZZA said:

Thanks JR. The VM200 is kind of hard to find. How are the mic pre's?

The VM200 is hard to find which attests to their usefullness. The mic pre's are good. Nothing to get too excited about, but plenty useable. I'm in the process of looking for a decent outboard pre. I picked up an ART MP and don't care for it. Too noisy. Sounds good though for $50.

JR
I read your thread on the Art over at the other website. I think there is something wrong with it. There is another guy over on that web site that had good things to say about it (Flavian). I wonder how the "Really Nice Mic Pre" is going to sound...

UZZA said:
JR
I read your thread on the Art over at the other website. I think there is something wrong with it. There is another guy over on that web site that had good things to say about it (Flavian). I wonder how the "Really Nice Mic Pre" is going to sound...

wow. you get around. Yeah, I'm not sure exactly what's wrong with the ART. I ran a guitar into it direct and it was just fine. I used two different mics and it was noisy. I even sent the mics through the 1/4" input and it was still noisy. Weird. Anywho, I'm going to try a more sensative mic and see if that helps.

UZZA said:
Dan,

1) You will be going IN to the computer through the Ark24. The COMPUTER and the TASCAM BOARD will communicate DIGITALLY with a bi-directional TDIF cable. So, there won't be any extra signal conversions. ;)

2) I am not sure if I understand you statement/question. I need for you to re-phrase the thought. If you go IN to the COMPUTER through the TASCAM, it will give you 8 INS, I'm assuming that you will purchase the Tascam 822PCI TDIF card, or it's equivalent.

3) Yes. I will try to find the mixer map for you.

4) I am not familiar with the Fostex piece. :(

the TM-D1000 is a 4-buss mixer with aux stereo outputs + monitor outs. So that gives you 4 mono outs, 2 stereo outs, 2 Spdif, and 1 TDIF (basically a DB25 type connection). But the Ark converters are better than the TMD for inputing into your DAW. If you already have the Ark, you'd be better off plugging directly into that and just using the TMD for monitoring and MIDI control.

Back