TASCAM 34B is still being made (must read)

When will TEAC fully wake up ? Take a read below:

Chandler Limited and Abbey Road/EMI announce an agreement to jointly develop product based on classic EMI and Abbey Road designs.

Dave Holley, Managing director of EMI Studios, explains...
"Wade [Goeke] had developed a limiter and pre-amp based on the EMI TG technology that was developed by Abbey Road Studios during the 60's and 70's. This kit contributed to the unique sounds that were coming out of the Studios at that point. There is a massive interest in this classic analogue equipment, Abbey Road has a lot of TG equipment which is in high and constant demand by a range of clients. There is a roaring market in second hand TG equipment. We'd realized that it would be a good idea to develop new products based on the original pieces and had begun discussions with a couple of designer/manufacturers.

At the same time across the pond, Wade Goeke had been thinking along similar lines and in fact his company Chandler Ltd had developed the limiter and pre-amp and brought them to market. The initial reviews were excellent and so we at Abbey Road got to hear of the product. When we had the opportunity to play with them at Abbey Road Studios, our engineers were very impressed with the quality of Wade's work and we realized that we'd found our designer.

Since then we've agreed to work together. We've put out an Abbey Road Special Edition of the initial two products but more interestingly we are working together to develop a range of new products based on technologies, such as TG, which are part of the heritage of EMI and Abbey Road but which through Wade's designs we are able to offer to the wider creative community. We are making the original designs and drawings and designer notes available to Wade along with access to a number of people instrumental in the development of the original technologies. Our aim is to be as authentic as possible - including original circuit board layouts and the look and feel of the equipment."

Look for many many new and old products from Chandler Limited and Abbey Road in the coming months......

My own 34B experiences...

Hello, I'm new to this forum, but thought I'd ring in with one or two thoughts.
I own a 34B as well as a DX-4D dbx noise reduction unit. Normally, I dub to Maxell XLI 35-180B(N) tape from both analog and digital sources. Frankly, I make tapes purely for the pleasure of using my deck and enjoying its delightfully pure sound. It has given me many wonderful hours of incredible high-fidelity reproduction without even a hint of hiss. :D

It's especially fun to play at cocktail parties, and is invariably the talk of the evening. Most can't get over the richly warm, saturated music it reproduces, and looks darn sexy doing it!

I recommend it highly to amateurs and pros alike, especially with the dbx unit.
I've made dubs of CD's that sound superior to the source, and that's only utilizing the 7 1/2 i.p.s. speed!

It's a real hum-dinger, and the perfect centerpiece of any lounge lizard's den...

Cheers,

Eric

Yes!

Perhaps there is something subliminally sexual about watching large round objects in motion and that offer up melodious tones whilst doing so!

Cheers! :)

surfside66 said:
Hello, I'm new to this forum, but thought I'd ring in with one or two thoughts.
I own a 34B as well as a DX-4D dbx noise reduction unit. Normally, I dub to Maxell XLI 35-180B(N) tape from both analog and digital sources. Frankly, I make tapes purely for the pleasure of using my deck and enjoying its delightfully pure sound. It has given me many wonderful hours of incredible high-fidelity reproduction without even a hint of hiss. :D

It's especially fun to play at cocktail parties, and is invariably the talk of the evening. Most can't get over the richly warm, saturated music it reproduces, and looks darn sexy doing it!

I recommend it highly to amateurs and pros alike, especially with the dbx unit.
I've made dubs of CD's that sound superior to the source, and that's only utilizing the 7 1/2 i.p.s. speed!

It's a real hum-dinger, and the perfect centerpiece of any lounge lizard's den...

Cheers,

Eric

Great REVIEW Eric! THANKS!! :) Yes, the 34B is certainly a sexy, sexy beast! :D

Did some transfers of some well mastered cds to the 34B (without dbx) and the sound (even at 7 1/2 ips) was superior to the cd source with barely audible hiss at any point in the songs. Sure, I used the best tape (456) but the cd source material came alive with all the frequencies shining brighter and having a more robust character. The music comes alive when using the 34B and pretty much any good open reel recorder. By contrast, cds are dull and lifeless.

Thanks again Eric,

Daniel

Hi Daniel

Thanks for your kind words...
Have you thought about buying the Tascam dbx unit for your 34b? It extends the frequency response into the stratosphere, and (IMHO) utterly and completely cancels all noise and hiss. Even listening through headphones with the gain cranked up, I just can't make this bad boy produce hiss (unless it's present in the source recording, i.e. most Jimi Hendrix recordings :p ) It's utterly amazing!
Cheers,
Eric

surfside66 said:
Thanks for your kind words...
Have you thought about buying the Tascam dbx unit for your 34b? It extends the frequency response into the stratosphere, and (IMHO) utterly and completely cancels all noise and hiss. Even listening through headphones with the gain cranked up, I just can't make this bad boy produce hiss (unless it's present in the source recording, i.e. most Jimi Hendrix recordings :p ) It's utterly amazing!
Cheers,
Eric

No, haven't found the need for dbx ... I'm CERTAIN, though, that dbx would completely eliminate hiss and increase dynamic range beyond what the 34B can do on its own, which is still pretty amazing. I guess I'm a "purist" but that's not to say you're wrong to use dbx or whatever else. This is just my preference. ;)

Thanks again,

Daniel

So, its been 17 years or so since the original poster started this thread. The Magic Question: Where can i get one of the Tascam 34B's that were made around 2004? Can anyone help? Thanks! Retro

Wow I got excited till I read what year the OP was, which is still pretty exciting that there's possibly some 15 year old 34bs out there

Wow I got excited till I read what year the OP was, which is still pretty exciting that there's possibly some 15 year old 34bs out there

Yes, there are some out there. I would pay a decent price for one of those 34Bs that are only 15 years old. Anyone here got one that they purchased around 2004?

Late to party or not any 34B now days will need work and service to it and I am still doing them when they can be fit in. If you think the 34B was nice you should try out the 44OB deck. Watch out how you buy stuff because the daily practice these times is to be deceptive and try to rip people off as they say. There are people like gary2037 selling all kinds of stuff out of Texas that is barely running if running at all. This is just one example. I have to deal with decks that are said to be restored on E bay and not a damn thing is done to them even though they have high prices- I give people warning about this all the time but some people are lambs to the slaughter. E bay usually gets their money back if the find out they have been defrauded within a timely manner. They have accepted my reports as fact as they should.

Last edited:
I like the A-3440 more than the 34. They are not that far apart in age. The A-3440 came out in late '78/early '79 and even when the 34
was introduced in the early 80's, the A-3440 was not discontinued, it lasted thru '83. Its an awesome unit, and matches well with the 2A mixer and MB-20 meter bridge.

ps: The 44 would be a more noteworthy upgrade, but that comes with a steep increase in price. To me, the A-3440 stands out as a
great machine. Of course, like most, will need its share of looking-after maintenance and so forth, but as I said- awesome machine. Teac
sold many of them, my older brother bought his new in '79, still has it.

Back