TASCAM 34B is still being made (must read)

Outlaws said:
Well nothing in it says as to how you actually came about the information. :confused:

Just wondering. Don't act so defensive. There is nothing to hide. Its just that a simple, "The responded to my letter" would have done the trick.

You say, "Long story short, it was explained to me that:..."

But that doesn't say anything about why it was explained to you in the first place.

I am just curious as to how you found this out.

They just responded to my inquiry, initiated when I faxed TEAC JAPAN. Didn't mean to sound like a jack-ass. Sorry.

Daniel :)

A Reel Person said:
I thought a "little birdie" told'ya! ;)

Yeah, I should have just said that. Would have given it a bit of mystery ;)

Btw, I first tried to call them (TEAC JAPAN). They were closed and I got their voicemail. Then I thought I'd just send them a fax. That way, they'll know I'm serious. The rest is history.

Daniel

tanoka said:
Hello,

They wouldn't happen to make a new one for 1/2" tape?

Thanks

The only thing I know so far is about the 34B. If and when I find anything else out, I'll post it here.

Daniel

cjacek said:
The only thing I know so far is about the 34B. If and when I find anything else out, I'll post it here.

Daniel

Thanks Daniel,

I'm lookin to buy a 1/2" 15 ips which I'd be using mostly to edit off of records. It would be cool to buy one brand new if there's one available!

T

tanoka said:
Thanks Daniel,

I'm lookin to buy a 1/2" 15 ips which I'd be using mostly to edit off of records. It would be cool to buy one brand new if there's one available!

T

In a two track configuration, Otari was manufacturing one, up untill very recently but just discontinued it. They have however just brought back the MX5050 mk III, brand new in the box for about 2 geez! :cool:

TASCAM continues to offer the BR20T mastering deuce as well in the same price point.

Cheers! :)

The Ghost of FM said:
In a two track configuration, Otari was manufacturing one, up untill very recently but just discontinued it. They have however just brought back the MX5050 mk III, brand new in the box for about 2 geez! :cool:

TASCAM continues to offer the BR20T mastering deuce as well in the same price point.

Cheers! :)

Thanks Ghost,

I'm looking to spend a little more than $2k, but I haven't done any research on new or old gear, nor would I really know the differences in sound quality with my poor understanding of electrical specs. I just want what sounds the best.

T

tanoka said:
Thanks Daniel,

T

Hey T,

Is there a particular reason why you'd want to get a 1/2" deck ? Why don't you just purchase the BR20T ? It's a 1/4" tape format but the head tracks (2) use the entire tape width to record on. It's a mastering type deck that's still available. Plus, the 1/4" tape is substantially cheaper than the 1/2".

Daniel

tanoka said:
Thanks Ghost,

I'm looking to spend a little more than $2k, but I haven't done any research on new or old gear, nor would I really know the differences in sound quality with my poor understanding of electrical specs. I just want what sounds the best.

T

Sorry if I'm answering a question meant for "Ghost" but let me put in my 2 cents worth anyway ... If I understand correctly, you want to dump your records to a reel to reel deck ? If that's the case and you have no use for multitracking (overdubbing, simul-sync) then just about any reel to reel deck would do, as long as it can do 7 1/2 ips or better. (For best fidelity). If you want new in box then I'd go for the BR20T or the 34B. Both are similar in price but the 34B will do more if you wish to get into making music, overdubbing etc etc ... You really can't go wrong with these 2. Also, as Ghost said, you can get the Otari. Again, if you want new in box then those 3 are your best bets, with the 34B having an edge because you can also overdub and do all that fun stuff. I do believe that the BR20T (and Otari) has wider tracks (being a 2 channel/2 track master recorders) though and this may translate into a "bigger" sound but it lacks Simul-Sync. You just have to buy on features as all 3 machines will blow you away on quality.

Daniel

bear with me

I thought I read on this board that a 1/2" 15 ips 2 track stereo would provide higher fidelity than a 1/4" 7 1/2 ips 2 track stereo. Is this not true? I'd be interested in the overdubbing as well because I'm looking to not just record but to cut up edits as well.

Yes, but the question is if you really can hear the difference, and if that minor difference really is worth the exta cost.

tanoka said:
I thought I read on this board that a 1/2" 15 ips 2 track stereo would provide higher fidelity than a 1/4" 7 1/2 ips 2 track stereo. Is this not true? I'd be interested in the overdubbing as well because I'm looking to not just record but to cut up edits as well.

Well, the faster you go the higher the fidelity. The 34B will go as fast as 15 ips as will the BR20T, for example. Both will yield comparable fidelity. As for track width ... I totally agree with what regebro said: ".. the question is if you really can hear the difference, and if that minor difference really is worth the exta cost.". 'Nuff said .... I would HIGHLY recommend you get the 34B as it really is superior to the BR20T, especially when you want to overdub etc ... It's also a great mixdown deck. Fact is that any CD dubbed to the 34B sounded bigger and had more life than the CD itself. It actually makes CD's sound much better.

I truly believe that the popularity of the 34B, and thus the reintroduction of it, is due to the fact that it is so universal in its application. You have a deck that can be used with or without a mixer, can be used for complex overdubbing or live recording with 4 tracks being recorded at once or simply can be used as a mixdown deck and can even be used to play 4 track tapes.

I'd like to add a couple of more words ... The sonic quality of the 34B with just an sm57 plugged in direct will astound you! I have used an sm57, Electo-voice RE15 and EV635A and, kid you not, I actually "gasped" when I heard playback. (Mind you that mic placement is critical in any application). Anyway, the mic preamps on the 34B are amazing. I actually had a very difficult time distorting the input. I on purpose tried to record a cut from a CD to a point where the needle was continually going into the red and hitting the farthest right side of the VU meter. Still didn't distort the mic preamp. On playback I had some very nice saturation. Of course, I don't recommend doing this .. I was just trying to push the 34B as far as it could go and I did push it quite hard. Not only the tape but the mic pres. I would go as far as to say that the 34B pres are as good as anything you'd find on the market today.

I consider the 34B more like a car engine than anything else. It's so robust and heavy with them motors and stuff that it's quite an experience operating it. The other day I was rewinding tape and using them metal 10.5" reels and it was quite scary watching these spin, perhaps exhilarating would be the right word.

Daniel

Last edited:
Geez,... is right!!

Okay, all you would-be newcomers to analog, when you consider the length of pains and cost of analog in today's market, consider this:

In 1983, I paid about $3000 for a Tascam 38 & M30 mixer, brand new, retail, at the Sherman Oaks Guitar Center. Hint: I think the sales guy who sold it to me RETIRED after that!! Heh. ALSO, when the FABULOUS Tascam 388 came out, I'd go to the GC regularly, and would drool over it, but could not even remotely afford it, at the $3400/new retail price, of the day. NOW, I can get the 38 for $299, the M-30 for $69, and the 388 for $399, or sometimes less, depending on the day.

OOPS, sorry to hijack this thread!!!!

I still believe in the true value of buying a brand new Tascam analog recorder, if they were readily available. Thanx to Daniel for digging this info up, for us!!! Thanx!!!

I'll now return you to your previously scheduled rants!!!

;)

regebro said:
Yes, but the question is if you really can hear the difference, and if that minor difference really is worth the exta cost.

The only way for me to know is to AB the two but without that privilege and to avoid possible upgrading later Id rather just go for it all initially.

Well, that's one way to do it, and doubtlessly a good philosphy if you have a high enough budget. Personally, if I waited to buy a desk until I could afford A Neve I would probably never get one.

A Reel Person said:
Okay, all you would-be newcomers to analog, when you consider the length of pains and cost of analog in today's market, consider this:

In 1983, I paid about $3000 for a Tascam 38 & M30 mixer, brand new, retail, at the Sherman Oaks Guitar Center. Hint: I think the sales guy who sold it to me RETIRED after that!! Heh. ALSO, when the FABULOUS Tascam 388 came out, I'd go to the GC regularly, and would drool over it, but could not even remotely afford it, at the $3400/new retail price, of the day. NOW, I can get the 38 for $299, the M-30 for $69, and the 388 for $399, or sometimes less, depending on the day.

OOPS, sorry to hijack this thread!!!!

I still believe in the true value of buying a brand new Tascam analog recorder, if they were readily available. Thanx to Daniel for digging this info up, for us!!! Thanx!!!

I'll now return you to your previously scheduled rants!!!

;)

Oh yeah, used gear is right because the price is right. Who could argue with that ? Not I ;) . On the other hand, new gear, despite costing much more, comes with its own set of benefits over buying used gear. It's a decision one has to make.

Btw, you're welcome ;)

Daniel

tanoka said:
The only way for me to know is to AB the two but without that privilege and to avoid possible upgrading later Id rather just go for it all initially.

If you have the money then by all means do it! Personally tho, I feel comfortable recommending the 34B exclusively.

Daniel

I dunno

Is there anything available new for a 2 track 1/2" 15 ips with the sync option then? ? ? and how much are we talking about really?

If its not made anymore then how about a vintage? I'm getting dizzy googlin up all these damn recorders only to find links back to this forum :D

Back