Tape Manufacturer Updates

B

Beck

The new website for ATR Magnetics is
http://www.nothingsoundsliketape.com

It appears they closed the old atrmagnetics.com site without warning – it’s just gone. I thought maybe they threw in the towel, as I’m sure others will that haven't been to the old site in a while and find it down (What were they thinking?).

RMG International now has limited ¼” samples of 911 and LPR35.
http://www.rmgi-usa.com

Things are moving slowly, but at least they’re moving. :)

Last edited:
Beck said:
RNG International now has limited ¼” samples of 911 and LPR35.
http://www.rmgi-usa.com

Cool. I'll have to ask them again about european distributors. I'll also have to see if I can get any info from Zonal/Moonshine..

Beck said:
hah, looking at ATR's photos ... these two guys did a hell'ova'job for the period of time :D .... they need more manpower .... looks like :D

anyhow... this is all good

/later

Scoped the ATR Magnetics website,...

& the ATR-102 (1"-2-track) and ATR-108C (2"-8-track) machines are pretty impressive!;)

This is arguably more on-topic than ATR's clients:

I've just bought some more 1/2" 456 from Studiospares. Unlike all my previous spools (except the pancake I bought once) it came in a plastic case rather than a cardboard one. Is this normal?

(The thing had also despooled inside the container. Grrr.)

Yes, the plastic stand-up box is pretty common these days. It shouldn't unspool though. Did it have green or blue hold-down tape that came loose, or was it missing?

The Ghost of FM said:
Yeah. In a bitchy kind of, I'll bite your head off, way. :D
Cheers! :)

Shhhh... Damn it Jeff, you'll ruin the moment. How often do we get to see babes and tape in the same picture?

It gives me an idea. Since we've tried reasoning with the lost, digital walking dead maybe we should just go in for the kill with the release of "The Girls of Quantegy" calendar. :D

They won't know what hit them... it will be the end of digital in our time. :D

Beck said:
Yes, the plastic stand-up box is pretty common these days. It shouldn't unspool though. Did it have green or blue hold-down tape that came loose, or was it missing?
It had a small piece of white paper tape, which obviously wasn't enough to hold it. Interestingly the paper tape was still intact.. it seems the glue had stretched or something.

Last time I talked to someone at Quantegy they said they would be going back to the paper label like Ampex used to have, with the date code on it, rather than the hold-down tape. But that was before the bankruptcy and buyout so I'm not sure what it should look like.

The only thing I don't like about the plastic cases is there is no sealed plastic bag inside. It's too easy to put used tape in there and pass it off as new. Not that it will happen, but I'm a cautious fellow. It was more of a worrisome issue when people were selling tape at 3-times the price during the tape scare. People were trying to sell anything they could find. A lot of people out there discovered the wonders of sticky-shed this year, I’m sure. :)

Beck said:
Shhhh... Damn it Jeff, you'll ruin the moment. How often do we get to see babes and tape in the same picture?

It gives me an idea. Since we've tried reasoning with the lost, digital walking dead maybe we should just go in for the kill with the release of "The Girls of Quantegy" calendar. :D

They won't know what hit them... it will be the end of digital in our time. :D

You know, you have somethin' there ... a calendar with sexy girls posing with equally sexy open reel machines and tapes! Now that would be a great marketing strategy.

~Daniel

The Ghost of FM said:
Yeah. In a bitchy kind of, I'll bite your head off, way. :D

Cool! :D ;)

But what does any of that have to do with the price of eggs and the king of Sweden? :confused: :p

Babes and open reel recorders of course! :D

Attachments

• lazar.jpg
    lazar.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 100
The Ghost of FM said:
...what does any of that have to do with the price of eggs and the king of Sweden? :confused:
heh heh :)
Hey, COWBOY , take your time, man... chew slowly, don't untie your horse yet... I've got another story for you. :D
Once upon a time a man, who lived on a busy country road opened a Bagel-Shop. The road was always packed with travelers and the bagle-man worked like a dog all day. He would not talk much to a visitor (too busy to talk)...and if he did happen to exchange a word or two, then it would be all about bagels and only about bagels ;)
Then one day they have built a major highway and a large shopping mall near by the exit. Travelers stoped using old country road. And nowdays, the bagel-man loves to talk. He would talk to any stranger visiting his shop about anything... Whether it's moon-walking or your sister's in law arthritis - anything goes as long it keeps the visitor in the shop for as long as it possible. No subject is a bad subject ;)
Keep talking to a cowboy about his hat, and by the time the man's done working on his bagel, he may actually decide to buy couple more "to go" :D
I can kind of see "analog recording" community as an ol'country road bagel shop. Not much going on. If something happens, then most likely there is no much to say about it...
So, what do we do to "sell another bagel"?
We blah.
:D

...keep talking :) it's all good :p

/respects

I did a google search this morning to see if there were any pictures of women with tape recorders and came up with nuttin'! :eek: :o

For all the "talk" of women and reel to reel tape and recorders, there's precious little of this commodity out there in real life. :(

Well, I guess our best hope is to record a really good song or two and impress the babes with that instead of the equipment is was made on.

Good hunting, y'all. :cool:

Cheers! :)

Back