Sweet Jesus

Great to hear something from you again Fleet, it's been forever. I saved a copy of this the other day when I wasn't near speakers in case I didn't get chance to check it out before you inevitably take the dropbox link down. I just checked out the latest mix in any case.

It sounds pretty awesome, more prog rocky than anything I've heard from you previously (less psych or prog folky maybe?).

Oh sheesh thanks Rob, great to see you around! Hope all's well. :)

Sounds like the latest update addresses whatever level or balance issues you might have had on earlier versions - the balance here is great to me. Loads of cool layers, sounds and changes, a couple of the right panned handclaps at like 1.11 and 1.18 are a bit loose, which distracts slightly from how nicely everything else sits within the groove but everything else sounds ace. Thanks for posting something up again man :)

Ya know, not to keep deflecting criticism with my intended loosenesses, but I was kind of going for that loose tribal feel.. like a church full of baptists clapping along, so I did really go out of my way to get em nice and loose, but maybe I overdid the 'humanization'.

This song is pretty heavy influenced by Funkadelic's "Mommy, What's a Funkadelic?" from their 1970 s/t record. In fact the whole "Gottagotta get whatcha need" part at the end started life as a direct rip from the "No groove... no groove" part in the Funkadelic tune, though it probably bears little resemblance now.

What about you? Anything in the works?

I had a good time listening. I guess you've got the vocals where you want them - I've been doing a lot of very forward vocal mixes recently and so at first it bugged me (and I can't understand a lot of the words, but so what), but after a while it grew on me.

I concur about the snare - it's kind of barely there.

I really like the outro - even more now that I know it's a nod to funkadelic

I had a good time listening. I guess you've got the vocals where you want them - I've been doing a lot of very forward vocal mixes recently and so at first it bugged me (and I can't understand a lot of the words, but so what), but after a while it grew on me.

I concur about the snare - it's kind of barely there.

I really like the outro - even more now that I know it's a nod to funkadelic

Hey thanks chef! Yeah, those Funkadelic records with Eddie Hazel, before Bootsy came along, still stand out as a beacon of drugged out wackadoodle mixing. Weird pan shifts, the instrumentation lurching wildly from speaker to speaker, levels going all over the place, chimes and disembodied voices coming out of nowhere.. Something about it has always seemed so ALIVE to me. I'm always trying to imitate it and in many ways, my stuff tries to pretend the last 30 years of music never happened.

But yeah, the snare needs some love. Might even be time for a new one.
Really want to go over the drum sounds with Greg, but looks like that'll have to wait a few weeks. :(
I did bring it up relative to the kit post his comments, but I guess maybe not enough?

Back