Sweet Jesus

Good song, performances, and arrangement. I like the bass and drums, very solid groove. Doubled guitars (and the guitars generally) are too loud, harsh, and are stepping on everything else. Vocals need some space around them. I'm not hearing the lyrics well enough. Tame the harshness in the upper midrange. The song loses focus about midway through and is too long. I'd be looking to cut something.

The guitars are overpowering at points. The bass doesn't seem to have any strength if that makes sense, as in I can hear the sub frequency and higher frequency but not the actually hardness of it which is maybe what you were going for. The instrument sounds seem to work for it though, just maybe level some stuff out and take a look at the EQ settings. Neat song though. Reminds me a bit of this band called Big Elf I stumbled upon online.

That's great, thanks Robus and monkeymanx. New mix up, dropped the guitars a little, messed with the master eq, bass eq, changed a couple other things that were buggin' me. Still haven't listened to it on anything other than tracking cans and earbuds, but I'm thinking on this song the guitar just might never make it down to polite levels. Vocal clarity's not a huge priority for me. New mix sounds dark to me and I might give the gits a little more mid-hi action next time I go in there, . Thanks again guys!

The song loses focus about midway through and is too long. I'd be looking to cut something.

Ha, thanks dad. ;)

Real solid tune. I like the distortion on the bass. I suppose I'm hearing the remix. Level wise it sounds pretty good to me. Real slick.

Hey thanks Mike..

I did tweak the mix a little more tho, slightly lower gits again.. I had a compressor on the bass that I didn't realize was being slammed, so I backed that waaay off..same with a 'verb on the drums that was set a little wonky. New mix, same linky.

Mix is much improved. Lowering the dominant guitars lets your layering be heard better. I know you said you weren't interested in vocal clarity, but I think it would be worth it to foreground your vocal a little more. It's a good performance. From the freakout part in the middle onward, the vocal level seems higher.

Parts are like the Residents gone industrial.
Cool noisenic music - the solo before the solo was interesting - must've been hard to do the DTs.
Dr give it to me or gotta give it to me?
With a little editing (shortening) this could be brutally very good. Some spots are a little long so it's brutally good at present.
I like/

Mix is much improved. Lowering the dominant guitars lets your layering be heard better. I know you said you weren't interested in vocal clarity, but I think it would be worth it to foreground your vocal a little more. It's a good performance. From the freakout part in the middle onward, the vocal level seems higher.

Hm.. ok, I'll have to look at those vocal levels. There's a lot of automation on them so that's entirely possible. Thanks again!

It's different, not overly religious. Good song!

I kind of thought it was, if not religious, at least fervently devotional. Like kind of religiouser than religious music, the real jesus behind the cartoon jesus or something like that. Glad you liked it either way. :)

Parts are like the Residents gone industrial.
Cool noisenic music - the solo before the solo was interesting - must've been hard to do the DTs.
With a little editing (shortening) this could be brutally very good. Some spots are a little long so it's brutally good at present.
I like/

Thanks Ray..appreciate the listen and the kind words. The long parts are for my people down in Nimbin.

Dr give it to me or gotta give it to me?

Hm, never really been crazy about printing my words, but since I happen to have them on hand, the complete words for that section (though I take occasional liberties) are:

i got to get what you need
i got to get what you mean
i gottagottagotta get what you mean
i gotta get what you lean
i gotta catch what you breathe
(i'm gonna go where you lead)
i forgot what you need
i gotta chop where you lean-owwwww!
gotta
gotta
get what mean
i gotta cut where you bleed
got
ta
got
ta
got
ta
got
ta
get what you need
got
ta
got
ta
get
what
you
need
got
ta
got
ta
got
ta
got
ta
give in to me
give it to me
GIVE IT TO ME
gottagottagottagottagottagotta get what you need
gottagotta get what you neead
gottagottagottagottagottagotta get what you need
gottagottagetwhatyou
NEEEEEEEEED
doctor
doctor
doctor
doctor
give it to me
doctor
doctor
give it to me
doctordoctordoctordoctordoctordoctor
give it to me
doctor
doctor

give

it

to

MEEEEEEEEEEEEE

(you did it!)

Ta for the words Erik.
Nimbin is somewhat north of me but I have friends in the area and my wife's the organic spirit tie-dyed long haired animal lovin sort that every household needs.

Way way too long.

Anyway, mix-wise I like most of what you got there. I think the guitars sound appropriate and the bass is pretty awesome. You have a lot of spacial imbalance, but I'm guessing you probably don't care. The vocals are fine. Do they really matter anyway in a song like this? One roller coaster aspect of it is your drumming. In the first decade of the song, you drummed real good. I was thinking "man, he's gotten better". I was pleasantly surprised with the fills, chops, and accents. I won't use the word "groove" because I fucking hate that stupid cliche, but that's basically what it is. Then the "jamming" started and you kind of fall apart all over the place like you threw the drums down a flight of stairs. But then you reeled it back in for the second century of the song and it all came back together. The drum sub-mix is not very good to me. I know you want that rambunctious garage sound, but this is where the spacial imbalance comes in. The snare is distant and overheady and meandering around, while the kick is clean-ish and clicky and right in my ears. The overhead spread is good, but the kick throws it off. The guitars and bass are right up front with the kick. This all conspires to make the snare sound worse than it actually is. Bringing the snare up, or moving everything else back would balance it out better. If you even care.

Overall I thought this sounded pretty good. The drums sound real good. Fuzz bass was cool. Guitars sounded pretty cool.

Some of the drumming got a bit "experimental" which really isn't my thing most of the time.

I have trouble hearing a couple of words here and there. Maybe just a bit more compression wouldn't hurt. Or just lower the guitars a nudge.

Ta for the words Erik.
Nimbin is somewhat north of me but I have friends in the area and my wife's the organic spirit tie-dyed long haired animal lovin sort that every household needs.

:D

Way way too long.

Anyway, mix-wise I like most of what you got there. I think the guitars sound appropriate and the bass is pretty awesome. You have a lot of spacial imbalance, but I'm guessing you probably don't care. The vocals are fine. Do they really matter anyway in a song like this? One roller coaster aspect of it is your drumming. In the first decade of the song, you drummed real good. I was thinking "man, he's gotten better". I was pleasantly surprised with the fills, chops, and accents. I won't use the word "groove" because I fucking hate that stupid cliche, but that's basically what it is. Then the "jamming" started and you kind of fall apart all over the place like you threw the drums down a flight of stairs. But then you reeled it back in for the second century of the song and it all came back together. The drum sub-mix is not very good to me. I know you want that rambunctious garage sound, but this is where the spacial imbalance comes in. The snare is distant and overheady and meandering around, while the kick is clean-ish and clicky and right in my ears. The overhead spread is good, but the kick throws it off. The guitars and bass are right up front with the kick. This all conspires to make the snare sound worse than it actually is. Bringing the snare up, or moving everything else back would balance it out better. If you even care.

Wow, great comments Greg, very specific. You know I've been listening to this as I remix it and there are a couple of short spots near the middle where the timing drifts on the drums and it catches my ear every time.. So I've been thinking "I might have to retrack that" until I read your comment about how it sounds like I threw the drums down a flight of stairs. NOW, I'm thinking maybe it's a happy accident and I went above and beyond getting the point across. Not sure I want to mess with something that clearly sounds so awesome. :D

Generally though, I would like to get a better drum submix but kind of worry that it's going to come down to buying a new snare. I've been using a 5x14 Blackrolite and it's just ringy as fuck and I've never been able to get the sound I want out of it. I have the head cranked down so tight the top lugs are bottomed out and it still sounds spongey, and I don't get the bounce that other snare tops seem to have. Consequently I've never been able to balance it's flabby ringyness with my overheads.. if I sent you some raw tracks sometime, would you mind checking 'em out? I would like to get to the bottom of it eventually.

I got no real nits. Just really enjoyed the tune. Really enjoyed the fuzzy bass.

Woohoo, thanks Beez!

Overall I thought this sounded pretty good. The drums sound real good. Fuzz bass was cool. Guitars sounded pretty cool.

Some of the drumming got a bit "experimental" which really isn't my thing most of the time.

I have trouble hearing a couple of words here and there. Maybe just a bit more compression wouldn't hurt. Or just lower the guitars a nudge.

Wow, cool thanks MMM! I still have to take a look at the vocal automation, but I tend to want my vocals back in the mix a lot.. not really insecurity so much as there's this time-tested ritual in I really respect in rock music of straining to decipher near inscrutable lyrics. I love the whole "misheard lyrics" phenomenon and dream of someday having my own lyrics misconstrued by some chemically addled teenager who subsequently burns down a school or something.

:D

Wow, great comments Greg, very specific. You know I've been listening to this as I remix it and there are a couple of short spots near the middle where the timing drifts on the drums and it catches my ear every time.. So I've been thinking "I might have to retrack that" until I read your comment about how it sounds like I threw the drums down a flight of stairs. NOW, I'm thinking maybe it's a happy accident and I went above and beyond getting the point across. Not sure I want to mess with something that clearly sounds so awesome. :D

Generally though, I would like to get a better drum submix but kind of worry that it's going to come down to buying a new snare. I've been using a 5x14 Blackrolite and it's just ringy as fuck and I've never been able to get the sound I want out of it. I have the head cranked down so tight the top lugs are bottomed out and it still sounds spongey, and I don't get the bounce that other snare tops seem to have. Consequently I've never been able to balance it's flabby ringyness with my overheads.. if I sent you some raw tracks sometime, would you mind checking 'em out? I would like to get to the bottom of it eventually.
Sure, send em my way. I'm in drum tracking mode right now anyway. I'll give em a listen and see if I can recommend anything.

What kind of snare head are you using?

Ok, another mix up, a lot of small changes.
Some clicky 2k shaved off the kick and it's lowered a little, evened out vocal levels on the third first, and brought out some hi mids on the guitars.. couple more tweaks here and there. Enjoi bots!

Great to hear something from you again Fleet, it's been forever. I saved a copy of this the other day when I wasn't near speakers in case I didn't get chance to check it out before you inevitably take the dropbox link down. I just checked out the latest mix in any case.

It sounds pretty awesome, more prog rocky than anything I've heard from you previously (less psych or prog folky maybe?). Sounds like the latest update addresses whatever level or balance issues you might have had on earlier versions - the balance here is great to me. Loads of cool layers, sounds and changes, a couple of the right panned handclaps at like 1.11 and 1.18 are a bit loose, which distracts slightly from how nicely everything else sits within the groove but everything else sounds ace. Thanks for posting something up again man :)

Back