SUV or MINIVAN?

A minivan will generally have more/better ways of removing or hiding the seats in the back, whereas SUVs generally only let you fold the seat backs down.

If that makes any difference to what you are doing, that could be the deciding factor. Most other things are pretty similar between the two.

Matercam is the premium CADCAM package with all kinds of shit you will never use. Some its speeds and feeds you get out its library for different materials is insane. I wrote my own. I went to their headquarters for training in 1992 and again in 2016? I didn't need it then but the company was paying, it was near my home town so I went. Management expects those programs to come off the computer and run perfect, you just have to explain to them maybe in a perfect world but not here. There were times I called their TS and by the time, sometimes days, they got back to me and I had already figured it out and sometimes told them lol. I went to work in one place back in the day and the owner was trying to run like a 60k-100k line via DNC down to one of the machines and it just wasn't working. He asked if there was something I could do. Using parametric programming I got it down to about under 300 lines but I couldn't get it to do one thing. I call FADAL, the machine makers TS, for three days they couldn't figure it our. I finally got that done and informed them how to do it. There are some very simple things that CADCAM software programs just can't do. In that case I would have to write it in. Since no one reads code anymore, they don't realize the software packages do not write the code in the most conscise logical manner, and to follow it on screen, there is a ton of coding etc that it spits out that isn't needed. It makes it difficult to follow quickly. Aslo, programs should be written from the zero on the blueprint so the program mathces the blueprint. Many don't care anymore and they will put the reference zero anywhere they chose because the computer makes it so easy. Fortunately Mastercam allowed you to take their post processors and massage them, which I don't beilive any of the others do? Anyway, I would go in and rewrite the post processors for the different controllers so mastercam would spit out the programs in the shortest most logical manners devoid of non needed codes etc., and I would always reference the zero to the zero on the print, that way if the hole on the print was X1., Y1. the program said the same and was easy to follow. One thing that came about that REALLY pissed me off was when draftspeople started leaving dimensions off the print and we were told to reference the solid. Make my job more difficult why don't you. When I became head of inspection at one place I told management we were not wasting out time doing that. That the machinists had to know the dimensions of the parts they were machining and if they didn't bring me a print with the dimensions for the operations they were performing the parts weren't getting inspected. Management balked and I told them I wasn't asking them to do anyting I didn't do when I was on the floor running ther HAAS unit. If my guys didn't have the expertise get the dimensions off the solid I would get the dimensions for them and that I expected every other machine unit in the shop to do the same. Damn, sometimes I really miss it and laugh my ass off at some the things that went down, hassling with engineers and inspectors and machinists. Sometimes I would throw something out there and everyone would get arguing and I would just walk away laughing. Machinists are a strange lot, very few of them wound up in the profession by choice and it sure made for a smorgasbord of personalities. I quit high school at 16, I thought I was going to be a musician, so I do believe you get out what you put in. I had to hit the books and learn all the math I missed, which was most of it, on my own.
You will like this and to your point. I use to be a program would take say, 16K to store the code. Now with CAM it is creeping up to the gigabytes and the memory in the machines now can't store the code! Like cam doesn't use the function code for a circle. CAM writes it all out. 1000"s more line of code.

Like I said, your skills are missed.

You will like this and to your point. I use to be a program would take say, 16K to store the code. Now with CAM it is creeping up to the gigabytes and the memory in the machines now can't store the code! Like cam doesn't use the function code for a circle. CAM writes it all out. 1000"s more line of code.

Like I said, your skills are missed.
It is the post processor being used that interfaces the software with the compiled code sent to the machine controllers. That is why I would change the matercam post processors for the different machine controllers which were all pretty much the same. That and to just make it easy to follow on screen. Subprograms whenever possible. Mastercam doesn't spit out subprograms unless you instruct it to so they just use a thousand more times the code needed and that is without using goto, if, and, statements ect. to shorten programs. I think the Okuma mills had the best controllers for the simple reason you could assign the part work offset as a variable, something that could not be done on any other controller I ever used and I used a lot. It made for some real cool short cuts and the Okuma machines always came with the options turned on that no one knows how tot use anymore and they also had the best set up graphics I have used.

It is the post processor being used that interfaces the software with the compiled code sent to the machine controllers. That is why I would change the matercam post processors for the different machine controllers which were all pretty much the same. That and to just make it easy to follow on screen. Subprograms whenever possible. Mastercam doesn't spit out subprograms unless you instruct it to so they just use a thousand more times the code needed and that is without using goto, if, and, statements ect. to shorten programs. I think the Okuma mills had the best controllers for the simple reason you could assign the part work offset as a variable, something that could not be done on any other controller I ever used and I used a lot. It made for some real cool short cuts and the Okuma machines always came with the options turned on that no one knows how tot use anymore and they also had the best set up graphics I have used.
Right, G-Code is an interpreted language, like GW-Basic from old, Python, etc. If you don't understand how the interpreter (or the more common term, post processor) works, then the code gets larger.

Okuma makes a very fine machine. Worked with those machines in the automating process. They are very high precision and reliable machines.

But back to the vehicle.

Get one of those enclosed trailer, not too big, not too small, juuust right. You can unhook it and leave it down by the river while you drive around and see all the sights. Torch a moon light, a foo-ton to sleep on, an easy bake for cooking. Living the dream.

Caution, I once rented a Uhaul trailer to haul a piano over a somewhat considerable distance. Got tired so went and took a nap back there by the piano. Didn't sleep too bad. However, if someone had walked by, trying to be helpful, and said, "Oh, look, someone forgot to throw the latch on their trailer", they might have thrown the latch and locked me in. Locked in I could have died a slow death, from exposure, to my own piano playing.

Right, G-Code is an interpreted language, like GW-Basic from old, Python, etc. If you don't understand how the interpreter (or the more common term, post processor) works, then the code gets larger.

Okuma makes a very fine machine. Worked with those machines in the automating process. They are very high precision and reliable machines.

But back to the vehicle.
I am in no hurry, still looking. Just read up on the CV transmissions which I didn't know existed. Leaning towards a minivan, need the room. In the years I can afford the ratings of the top three were, Honda, Toyota, Chrysler Town and Country. I think the Hondas and Toyotas have the CV transmissions and the Mopar doesn't. I was surprised that the Chrysler came in third on more than one website. l

Whats the skinny on these CV trannys, should I stay clear? If it were up to me it would be a standard but I have yet to see a minivan with a standard transmission.

Whats the skinny on these CV trannys, should I stay clear? If it were up to me it would be a standard but I have yet to see a minivan with a standard transmission.
They've been around long enough to be reliable. I had one in a Ford Freestyle 20 years ago. I liked it. Very smooth and pretty quick when mated to decent horsepower. Just like a snowmobile.

They've been around long enough to be reliable. I had one in a Ford Freestyle 20 years ago. I liked it. Very smooth and pretty quick when mated to decent horsepower. Just like a snowmobile.
With my lower disc problems I have never rode on a skimobile.

CVs have been around for a long time. I think Renault first designed used them. From a design point of view, they are fine. But, I know Nissan uses CV x-missions and they have a negative history. I purchased one for my daughter new and about 100K-ish miles, it went out. Which I had been reading about for years.

I don't there is anything wrong with the design, but check the vehicle's history to see if it has had problems.

This is a CVT in its most basic form. My Kawasaki Mule side by side. I inadvertantly took her swimming and in the drying out process decided to touch on some maintenance items.
On the left is motor side. As rpm increases the pully tightens up and changes the ratio to the transmission. Simple and effective. In lower weight and horsepower applications the rubber belt works fine.
*Just in case anyone was curious.

Attachments

• 20240415_143312.jpg
    20240415_143312.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 1
I took the wife out to look at some cars. She doesn't want a minivan, she wants an SUV. She is partial to the Kia Sportage, I will have to look into that, I have my doubts. I was looking at them used on line and they are definitely cheaper than the Hondas or Toyotas but I don't know their reputation. I could buy from about 2017 or older, with less than 100k for around 10k. They also get better gas mileage from what I see? I have yet to drive a vehicle with a CV transmission, that will be new experience. Many of these vehicles have "salvage titles". I will have to look into what the criteria there is for a "salvage" title. One guy claims the only thing replaced was a headlight? Was that before or after it was underwater lol.

Last edited:
I took the wife out to look at some cars. She doesn't want a minivan, she wants an SUV. She is partial to the Kia Sportage, I will have to look into that, I have my doubts. I was looking at them used on line and they are definitely cheaper than the Hondas or Toyotas but I don't know their reputation. I could buy from about 2017 or older, with less than 100k for around 10k. They also get better gas mileage from what I see? I have yet to drive a vehicle with a CV transmission, that will be new experience. Many of these vehicles have "salvage titles". I will have to look into what the criteria there is for a "salvage" title. One guy claims the only thing replaced was a headlight? Was that before or after it was underwater lol.
Have them show you before pics. Look for frame damage and if airbags deployed. If that didn't happen, then you have a good chance of a good car.

The car can be totaled pretty easy if damage exceeds 60% of car value. In a standard shop, it doesn't take long to hit that mark. A person who does it and uses body parts from salvage yards, little paint, some after market parts and they can fix it for a lot less.

Just look at the before pics and see how much damage. The more damage, the more caution.

Have them show you before pics. Look for frame damage and if airbags deployed. If that didn't happen, then you have a good chance of a good car.

The car can be totaled pretty easy if damage exceeds 60% of car value. In a standard shop, it doesn't take long to hit that mark. A person who does it and uses body parts from salvage yards, little paint, some after market parts and they can fix it for a lot less.

Just look at the before pics and see how much damage. The more damage, the more caution.
These folk don't seem to have before pictures? They are not sure what the damage was or they are not saying. One I looked at that had a salvage title they tell me it was hit in the rear end, and they think one of the quarter panels had to be replaced, that is all they know? I need more detail then "I think"

These folk don't seem to have before pictures? They are not sure what the damage was or they are not saying. One I looked at that had a salvage title they tell me it was hit in the rear end, and they think one of the quarter panels had to be replaced, that is all they know? I need more detail then "I think"
To be confident, to me anyway, if I have a good idea what was broke, makes me feel better about what was fixed. If it was just cosmetics and simple mechanics. But you don't want the engine to have been hit hard, steering all messed up, frame compromised. The important stuff.

Rear end and didn't get into the frame, there are no real important parts back there. Gas tank and if it leaks, you will see that pretty quick. All the big stuff is up front.

Back