SUV or MINIVAN?

I have given it some thought but then again it is a newer GM. I don't know if I could trust them, would have to look into it. Love that movie by the way. Found it way better than Pulp Fiction. I am not into blood and gore, more for the comedic side and get shorty was pretty damn funny.
In all seriousness, I have a friend with a Toyota minivan ( forget the exact model)
But he’s been cross country a few times. Says it’s the best most reliable vehicle he’s owned.
I have a Toyota truck, share the same sentiment.

In all seriousness, I have a friend with a Toyota minivan ( forget the exact model)
But he’s been cross country a few times. Says it’s the best most reliable vehicle he’s owned.
I have to find out if the Toyota minivans have the same transmission as the RAV4s, they are notorious. I don't know about the newer ones but not many years back their tranny blew right and left. I was looking at the Caddy Suvs and they go fairly cheap comparatively speaking. My dad always had Caddies up until I was about 16. I have two toyotas in the driveway, corolla, and tacoma 2010 and 2002, never any problems.

Last edited:
I"m 71, she is 77, we could go any time. It would be very convenient.
Well, that being a possibility, get a good deal on it, and with the savings, rent a driver for your trip.

Look at it this way, while you’re living, you got your own chauffeur. Travel in style !

:D

They must be decent, everyone I looked at had a gazillion miles on it.

Chevy 4.3ltr V6!
I've got a C1500, 5 speed manual, with 300k miles... bought new for $16,000 in 97.
Best investment I ever made. Still passes emissions lol...

Find yourself an Astro Van ;)

The great thing about the minivans, they have a lot of good convenient stuff, have terrible resale value (good when you are buying) and probably get yo the most bang for the buck.

All modern cars are the most reliable in automotive history. If a vehicle can't get 200K, it is junk verses in the "good ol' days", 50K and you are giving them to your teenager, 100K they are going to the bone yard. Most, if decently maintained and I just mean change the oil every 5-10K and wash it a few times a year, will be decent. I think you are right about looking out for those cars that have a consistent issue. But I bet if you research, it is probably in the upper 100K region they start to have problems.

I have worked in manufacturing for over 40 years now, the precision, the techniques are so exact, so well designed, such an incredible feat of engineering and manufacturing technique is really a modern miracle.

I think you will be able to spot a turd, but look at the minivans, I think you will find some gems there. At least a good place to look.

Me and my wife are retired and we've been contemplating what vehicle to buy for traveling. As much as I dislike the look and stigma of the minivan they sure do have a lot of redeeming qualities. My daughter has one and and it's really comfy and ergonomic. Multiple doors, low floor, hideaway seats, roof rack, etc, etc, and has a very smooth ride even at high speeds. If I do get one I would consider putting a luggage carrier on top to free up more space inside.

Rental companies such as Uhaul, Budget, etc turn over their fleet from time to time. Cargo, no seating in the back, but you could hang a porch swing, beanbag chair, the possibilities are endless. High miles could be a crap shoot, but I would think it would be a poor business model to not maintain their vehicles. I've done it, fraction of the cost, got well over 100k miles in it. Some apparently do not have the logo decal, mine did'nt. Fair warning, E150 refit the lock on the back door. From the factory it's mounted on the plastic back license plate bracket, all it takes is a screwdriver & hammer, open sesame.

Um, what're you gonna do with your cats while you're off galavanting around the country living in a van down by the nearest river?

The great thing about the minivans, they have a lot of good convenient stuff, have terrible resale value (good when you are buying) and probably get yo the most bang for the buck.

All modern cars are the most reliable in automotive history. If a vehicle can't get 200K, it is junk verses in the "good ol' days", 50K and you are giving them to your teenager, 100K they are going to the bone yard. Most, if decently maintained and I just mean change the oil every 5-10K and wash it a few times a year, will be decent. I think you are right about looking out for those cars that have a consistent issue. But I bet if you research, it is probably in the upper 100K region they start to have problems.

I have worked in manufacturing for over 40 years now, the precision, the techniques are so exact, so well designed, such an incredible feat of engineering and manufacturing technique is really a modern miracle.

I think you will be able to spot a turd, but look at the minivans, I think you will find some gems there. At least a good place to look.
I was a class A machinist/CNC programmer and worked in manufacturing for over fifty years. Retired and not bored yet. .

I was a class A machinist/CNC programmer and worked in manufacturing for over fifty years. Retired and not bored yet. .
Right, they don't even do CNC direct programming any longer for the most part. It comes straight out of CAD->CAM->G-code. While the programs have become huge, if the CAD is good, the part will be good. Repeatability is pretty rock solid. Now if they will stop cheaping out on the material they use.

Right, they don't even do CNC direct programming any longer for the most part. It comes straight out of CAD->CAM->G-code. While the programs have become huge, if the CAD is good, the part will be good. Repeatability is pretty rock solid. Now if they will stop cheaping out on the material they use.
I was using the latest versions of Mastercam unless it was quick and easy and I would just type on screen. It was a rewarding job. I wrote my own post processors, spread sheets for inventory, spread sheets for part flow through the shop, Supervised the inspection departments in some places.Most machinists today don't know the old tricks of parametric programming or how to use ifs, ands, go tos etc. They used to be standard and now they are all options. Some didn't know the options were turned on, some shops didn't even know the editing capabilities on their machines. The last three shops I worked for had no clue how to use the editing capabilities of the machines they had. One shop didn't even know they had a random access tool changer and weren't staging the tools. Ir was a 40 tool holder, slow, taking forever and they had been running it like that for years lol. Many of the young programmers were lost when it came to real machining. They knew how to program but order of operations, speeds and feeds, all the little stuff If they had problems it was right back to the computer. I came in one place and told them I could program on line and they said you don't need that anymore. Whenever they got into trouble and couldn't figure it out I would have to come and go over the code. I have worked in over 50 job shops. From mom and pop shops to shops with mills with 40 feet of travel in the X, 20 in the Y and 8 feet for the spindle. I may not have done it all but I think I may have seen it all. At one time I could read the tapes on the tape machines lol.

Last edited:

I was using the latest versions of Mastercam unless it was quick and easy and I would just type on screen. It was a rewarding job. I wrote my own post processors, spread sheets for inventory, spread sheets for part flow through the shop, Supervised the inspection departments in some places.Most machinists today don't know the old tricks of parametric programming or how to use ifs, ands, go tos etc. They used to be standard and now they are all options. Some didn't know the options were turned on, some shops didn't even know the editing capabilities on their machines. The last three shops I worked for had no clue how to use the editing capabilities of the machines they had. One shop didn't even know they had a random access tool changer and weren't staging the tools. Ir was a 40 tool holder, slow, taking forever and they had been running it like that for years lol. Many of the young programmers were lost when it came to real machining. They knew how to program but order of operations, speeds and feeds, all the little stuff If they had problems it was right back to the computer. I came in one place and told them I could program on line and they said you don't need that anymore. Whenever they got into trouble and couldn't figure it out I would have to come and go over the code. I have worked in over 50 job shops. From mom and pop shops to shops with mills with 40 feet of travel in the X, 20 in the Y and 8 feet for the spindle. I may not have done it all but I think I may have seen it all. At one time I could read the tapes on the tape machines lol.
Master cam, if I remember correctly is a pretty high end. If I remember my information correctly, they even compensate for the torque of the tool. I started on the assembly line, moved into engineering data management, then into product lifecycle management, then did some factory automation.

They are begging for guys with your knowledge. Even though it is becoming more automated, people who just know how it works are very rare and they are missed very much. They can't find people who really understand how it all works together. At some point, digital has to become analog. Hence, that is what we do here as well. Not to the same level but, concept is the same.

Master cam, if I remember correctly is a pretty high end. If I remember my information correctly, they even compensate for the torque of the tool. I started on the assembly line, moved into engineering data management, then into product lifecycle management, then did some factory automation.

They are begging for guys with your knowledge. Even though it is becoming more automated, people who just know how it works are very rare and they are missed very much. They can't find people who really understand how it all works together. At some point, digital has to become analog. Hence, that is what we do here as well. Not to the same level but, concept is the same.
Matercam is the premium CADCAM package with all kinds of shit you will never use. Some its speeds and feeds you get out its library for different materials is insane. I wrote my own. I went to their headquarters for training in 1992 and again in 2016? I didn't need it then but the company was paying, it was near my home town so I went. Management expects those programs to come off the computer and run perfect, you just have to explain to them maybe in a perfect world but not here. There were times I called their TS and by the time, sometimes days, they got back to me and I had already figured it out and sometimes told them lol. I went to work in one place back in the day and the owner was trying to run like a 60k-100k line via DNC down to one of the machines and it just wasn't working. He asked if there was something I could do. Using parametric programming I got it down to about under 300 lines but I couldn't get it to do one thing. I call FADAL, the machine makers TS, for three days they couldn't figure it our. I finally got that done and informed them how to do it. There are some very simple things that CADCAM software programs just can't do. In that case I would have to write it in. Since no one reads code anymore, they don't realize the software packages do not write the code in the most conscise logical manner, and to follow it on screen, there is a ton of coding etc that it spits out that isn't needed. It makes it difficult to follow quickly. Aslo, programs should be written from the zero on the blueprint so the program mathces the blueprint. Many don't care anymore and they will put the reference zero anywhere they chose because the computer makes it so easy. Fortunately Mastercam allowed you to take their post processors and massage them, which I don't beilive any of the others do? Anyway, I would go in and rewrite the post processors for the different controllers so mastercam would spit out the programs in the shortest most logical manners devoid of non needed codes etc., and I would always reference the zero to the zero on the print, that way if the hole on the print was X1., Y1. the program said the same and was easy to follow. One thing that came about that REALLY pissed me off was when draftspeople started leaving dimensions off the print and we were told to reference the solid. Make my job more difficult why don't you. When I became head of inspection at one place I told management we were not wasting out time doing that. That the machinists had to know the dimensions of the parts they were machining and if they didn't bring me a print with the dimensions for the operations they were performing the parts weren't getting inspected. Management balked and I told them I wasn't asking them to do anyting I didn't do when I was on the floor running ther HAAS unit. If my guys didn't have the expertise get the dimensions off the solid I would get the dimensions for them and that I expected every other machine unit in the shop to do the same. Damn, sometimes I really miss it and laugh my ass off at some the things that went down, hassling with engineers and inspectors and machinists. Sometimes I would throw something out there and everyone would get arguing and I would just walk away laughing. Machinists are a strange lot, very few of them wound up in the profession by choice and it sure made for a smorgasbord of personalities. I quit high school at 16, I thought I was going to be a musician, so I do believe you get out what you put in. I had to hit the books and learn all the math I missed, which was most of it, on my own.

Last edited:
Back