Surrender - Greg's cheap cover of a Cheap Trick song

Awesome!

Just did a lot of work on one of my amps, wanted to record some loud ass tracks with it, so I knocked this bitch out just for fun. :guitar:

Lemme know what you think. :listeningmusic:

Thanks,
Greg

Surrender

Dude! Nice job. I really liked it. Definitely could hear that on the radio or in some movie.

Only thing about sound quality I noticed was in the drum cymbals especially hi-hat was a slurred sound. Could just be soundcloud bit rate?

Gave a listen last night. Really liked your version. This is one of those songs that usually get slaughtered by classic rock cover bands, but of course the Gerg's touch made a classic rock tune more classy. :)

My only comment on the mix would to bring the vocal up a RCH... or not.

I've gotta say, that's the best cover of this song I've ever heard. Love the increased tempo. Love the tight, high snare. Awesome job.
Interestingly, I just (couple of weeks ago) saw a vid of these guys (CT) doing this song a few years ago. Bunch of old dudes trying to sound 20. Liked your's better than theirs.

Not sure if I'm repeating this correctly but Pete Townsend said that when guitars and bass are played at extremely loud levels they produce more harmonics, more layers of notes are floating around the original note you play, therefore there is more music/notes coming out (in fact)

The Who asked him to go on tour like around 1989. He said sure as long as we don't go over 100db. They all said sure no problem. He said you guys don't get it, at that level, half the sound will be missing. So he brought in horns, backup singers, etc etc. to fill in for the lack of volume and Harmonics. Interesting perspective if its true.

I always wondered if Townsend never heard of ear valves, or if he just thought they were "ear condoms" like some of my old bandmates...I used them in front of my amps and cabs (about 1800W bass) and Marshall and Carvin (Terry and Doug's) stacks for about 10 years and my hearing's still great. :listeningmusic: Just wish my voice had made it though. :facepalm:

Cool.
Sounds fantastic with bridge and the build-up to the chorus.
Awesome thanks. :)

Dude! Nice job. I really liked it. Definitely could hear that on the radio or in some movie.

Only thing about sound quality I noticed was in the drum cymbals especially hi-hat was a slurred sound. Could just be soundcloud bit rate?
Thanks. Yes, soundcloud is not kind to things like cymbals.

Awesome shit bro :D
Thanks Phil! :)

Gave a listen last night. Really liked your version. This is one of those songs that usually get slaughtered by classic rock cover bands, but of course the Gerg's touch made a classic rock tune more classy. :)

My only comment on the mix would to bring the vocal up a RCH... or not.

Okay thanks a lot Chili. :)

This just made my day!
Thanks Greg!
Awesome, thanks. :D
I've gotta say, that's the best cover of this song I've ever heard. Love the increased tempo. Love the tight, high snare. Awesome job.
Interestingly, I just (couple of weeks ago) saw a vid of these guys (CT) doing this song a few years ago. Bunch of old dudes trying to sound 20. Liked your's better than theirs.

I always wondered if Townsend never heard of ear valves, or if he just thought they were "ear condoms" like some of my old bandmates...I used them in front of my amps and cabs (about 1800W bass) and Marshall and Carvin (Terry and Doug's) stacks for about 10 years and my hearing's still great. :listeningmusic: Just wish my voice had made it though. :facepalm:
Haha, thanks a lot. I wear earplugs all the time. Especially when drumming. I think my ears are holding up pretty well.

Outstanding version of a great song.

The wah is killer.

You utterly nailed this to the wall

Awesome, thanks dude. :)

Pretty slick El Blue man....

just really clean and well done...knowing the original I'd a liked more harmonies in certain places but you did it Greg style and it really is quite excellent. Good yob mang!

Pretty slick El Blue man....

just really clean and well done...knowing the original I'd a liked more harmonies in certain places but you did it Greg style and it really is quite excellent. Good yob mang!

Cool thanks. :)

Damn, that's a great sounding recording. I don't remember the original well enough to compare other than of course the chorus melody. I have no criticisms or suggestions I'm afraid.

I didn't read through the tons of comments you've gotten already, but found myself wondering - do you ever get feedback that actually helps you anymore?

I'm trying to remember a time when you needed advice (we joined around the same time), and it seems like you always had it more or less locked in :guitar:.

Damn, that's a great sounding recording. I don't remember the original well enough to compare other than of course the chorus melody. I have no criticisms or suggestions I'm afraid.
Cool, that's a good thing! Thanks. :)

I didn't read through the tons of comments you've gotten already, but found myself wondering - do you ever get feedback that actually helps you anymore?

I'm trying to remember a time when you needed advice (we joined around the same time), and it seems like you always had it more or less locked in :guitar:.
Interesting question. Sure, all feedback helps. Especially good feedback. I don't feel that I need anyone to tell me, for example, "hey the kick needs more thwack or the bass is way too loud". I don't need that kind of feedback. I got that sorted. For this mix, I was admittedly hyper focused on the guitars because I wanted to use the shit out of this amp I repaired myself, and I think it turned out great. As I was tracking it, I was like "this fucking thing sounds bad ass". Turns out that some others thought it sounded good too, so that's useful feedback. No one complained about the guitars, so I can definitely do that again. No complaints is a win. I used a muffle ring on my snare, and I hated it from the get go, but I left it to see if anyone would complain. I think only one guy said anything negative about the drums, but another few said they liked it, so maybe that's a wash. I'll be the decider next time, and right now, I'm deciding to not use that dumb ring again because I don't like it myself. So that was useful in a roundabout way. I did a few other basic things outside of my norm too, little changes here and there, but no one picked up on them as bad, and I aint gonna bring attention to them if no one notices, so I'll keep doing them or keep them in the bank. That's useful non-feedback. So yeah, I get a lot out of dropping a mix in here. It's just not the standard "turn this up, that down, etc" kind of stuff.

Advice: Make it more lofi

Lol. Fuck no.

Back