Suffragette City

Nice fuckin mix man! Did you do anything on the two bus? Any "mastering" steps? I did some "two bus glue" but didn't really mess the master track. Your drums sound tight and snappy, better eq on the guits.....I would say yours is a better mix for sure.

Great job tracking and performing though...that makes a huge difference.

Thanks for playing along man.

Thanks a lot. I did this last summer just for fun and because I was getting bombarded with people asking me for tracks to mix. So I made a "contest" out of it. I typically don't do much to my two-bus stereo mix. I usually pass it through 3 or 4 layers of limiter plug-ins, with maybe a tiny bit of EQ inbetween. Going easy through a series of limiters seems to work better than cramming it hard through one limiter for loudness.

One thing to keep in mind about "giving the client what they want"....they probably most of the time won't be able to articulate what they hear and how they want it. I can say "too much compression on the vocals", but joe blow band guy that doesn't record might have trouble putting that into words. You're gonna have to use your own judgement as "producer" and go with your gut and stand firm, or else they'll have you remixing things a hundred times. The customer isn't always right. Band people hardly ever are. And don't ever let a guitar player oversee the mix. :D

Amen, brother. Well said, and agreed 100%

I don't see how you guys do it. Never in a million years would I want to sit through and mix someone else's garbage. The money just aint that good.

I don't see how you guys do it. Never in a million years would I want to sit through and mix someone else's garbage. The money just aint that good.

Well, actually, I love it - as long as it isn't "garbage". I have such a broad taste in music, I can appreciate almost anything. Most people who come in actually have something halfway decent to offer. Of course, there are those who make me wanna kill myself by the end of the session, but that's rare. Also, if I can expand the studio to more than just a single room, I can probably get away with charging $50.00 / hr - and that will feed my family. Not lookin' to get rich, rather spend my days doing something I love. Heck... I'll also be providing the community with more music! ..and that ain't a bad thing, is it?

Well, actually, I love it - as long as it isn't "garbage". I have such a broad taste in music, I can appreciate almost anything. Most people who come in actually have something halfway decent to offer. Of course, there are those who make me wanna kill myself by the end of the session, but that's rare. Also, if I can expand the studio to more than just a single room, I can probably get away with charging $50.00 / hr - and that will feed my family. Not lookin' to get rich, rather spend my days doing something I love. Heck... I'll also be providing the community with more music! ..and that ain't a bad thing, is it?

An old wise man once told me: Never make a career out of something you love.

Covers are for fags.
:D:D:D

Seriously though, good mix & version... nice & heavy, though I'm not sure adding the lead guitar answer bit to the intro adds anything. Did I hear some claps way down there in the mix? Bring em up if I did.

Back