Suffragette City

Haha, blast from the past. You did a good job with it overall. You might have even won the contest. I'm not crazy about the vocal treatment, but it's how you want it. The levels are good. Great job. :)

Thanks SJ.

Thanks Greg, from the artists perspective, what didn't you like, how would you want your product to differ?

Appreciate the feedback.

Thanks for listening. Sorry if I was unclear in the original post, I DID NOT record or perform this song, just mixed it. All tracking and performance credits go to Greg_L....and a fine job it was. Super fun to mix. I know it's not perfect but I can't put my finger on what's not right....any suggestions.

Thanks again for listening.

Thanks SJ.

Thanks Greg, from the artists perspective, what didn't you like, how would you want your product to differ?

Appreciate the feedback.

If I were paying you for this, I'd want a few changes for my own product. First, I mentioned the vocals. I double tracked them for thickness, but I don't want to actually hear both tracks. I'd want it to be like one vocal track with the second very subtley underneath it. Secondly, the kick and snare are a little more buried than I normally like. Just barely though. Overall I really do think you did a pretty damn good job. I really like how you got the horns jumping out.

Thanks Greg!

If you have the time, here's an updated mix. I agree with you on the kick and snare, in fact, I had a more aggressive drum mix that I pussed out and on and posted the "tamed" mix.

As far as the double tracked lead vox....well, first time ever mixing dbl tracked LEAD vox, obviously my inexperience showed through.

Let me know if this is closer to what you would accept as a client....and I'll let you know where you can send the check! :)

MP3 Player SoundClick

Again, great job on the song man....I honestly like it better than the original. I like the energy on this version. You have any other tracks just laying around.....I'm working on Texas Terror....anything else?

Thanks to all who listened and posted feedback.....hear anything wrong? Speak up.

Yup, much better. Digging a little further, a few other changes I'd like, just to my ears, are wider rhythm guitars and less compression on the vocals. Everything seems a little bunched in the middle. Maybe bring the snare up a tiny bit more. That's just my taste though. What you have in the new mix is definitely an improvement.

Nice....that's exactly the kind of nit-picking I am looking for!

I am recording an album(acoustic based/solo singer/songwriter based), so I've gotten comfortable with an acoustic guitar and vox. The project I am working on, is the "flagship" album for the studio I am starting. Nothing fancy, small home-based with respectable quality. No one is doing anything like this in a 100 miles from where I live.

Long story short, I ended doing a radio interview in support of my friends debut in another town, ended up talking to a lot of local artist and mentioned mixing, most of them are going to be sending me "sample" songs to mix. Guess I've put my money where my mouth is and am trying to hone my mixing skills "crash course" style.

I'll try the stuff you suggested, if your are interested in hearing an updated mix, let me know....otherwise I wont waste your time posting every revision.

Appreciate you digging further....that's where the magic/learning happens.

Nice....that's exactly the kind of nit-picking I am looking for!

I am recording an album(acoustic based/solo singer/songwriter based), so I've gotten comfortable with an acoustic guitar and vox. The project I am working on, is the "flagship" album for the studio I am starting. Nothing fancy, small home-based with respectable quality. No one is doing anything like this in a 100 miles from where I live.

Long story short, I ended doing a radio interview in support of my friends debut in another town, ended up talking to a lot of local artist and mentioned mixing, most of them are going to be sending me "sample" songs to mix. Guess I've put my money where my mouth is and am trying to hone my mixing skills "crash course" style.

I'll try the stuff you suggested, if your are interested in hearing an updated mix, let me know....otherwise I wont waste your time posting every revision.

Appreciate you digging further....that's where the magic/learning happens.

No, by all means post it up. My overall scope is narrow, but I think I've got a pretty good grasp on "rock" mixes. And in the future, if you ever have something you don't want to post publicly but want some feedback, send it to me in a PM and I'll give it a listen.

Ok Greg, here it is....first let me say, at this point I may have listened too much today and may have lost myobjectivity/perspective so I'm walking away for a day, or at least until later tonite. lol.

Backed off the comp(LA2) on just the lead vox.

Spread the guits wider along with the bu vox....pretty sure that was the thing I couldn't put my finger on before, seems now that there is more room for the piano, sax, bass.....but then again, see the first part of the post.

I also raised the snare, could just be my listening environment, but it's getting close to being too loud for my personal taste.

Anyway, when you get a chance let me know if this is moving in the right direction.....going for an exercise in giving the client exactly what he wants....assuming that clients will know what they want and be able to articulate that.....a bit optimistic.

MP3 Player SoundClick

Last edited:
Yes! That's how I like to hear it. Big and wide. I like the guitars. Best mix so far. Snare sits perfectly. Vocals seem more natural. The only thing I'm noticing now is that you lost the horns a little bit. They're still there, but they don't pop like they did before. Not a big deal to me though. My own mix of the song has them a little subdued too. Good work. :)

Here's my own mix, if you wanna hear it.

One thing to keep in mind about "giving the client what they want"....they probably most of the time won't be able to articulate what they hear and how they want it. I can say "too much compression on the vocals", but joe blow band guy that doesn't record might have trouble putting that into words. You're gonna have to use your own judgement as "producer" and go with your gut and stand firm, or else they'll have you remixing things a hundred times. The customer isn't always right. Band people hardly ever are. And don't ever let a guitar player oversee the mix. :D

One thing to keep in mind about "giving the client what they want"....they probably most of the time won't be able to articulate what they hear and how they want it. I can say "too much compression on the vocals", but joe blow band guy that doesn't record might have trouble putting that into words. You're gonna have to use your own judgement as "producer" and go with your gut and stand firm, or else they'll have you remixing things a hundred times. The customer isn't always right. Band people hardly ever are. And don't ever let a guitar player oversee the mix. :D

Well said.

Yeah, I noticed that on after I posted....I didn't touch the volume on the horns, I did adjust the guits because they seemed to have lost volume as I moved em wider....glad I was able mix a product you liked. Thanks for the feedback. I have to go back and listen to Fishmed's mix....if I remember right he won.....I didn't listen to the other mixes because I didn't want to influenced when I mixed mine.

Nice fuckin mix man! Did you do anything on the two bus? Any "mastering" steps? I did some "two bus glue" but didn't really mess the master track. Your drums sound tight and snappy, better eq on the guits.....I would say yours is a better mix for sure.

Great job tracking and performing though...that makes a huge difference.

Thanks for playing along man.

....and that is good advice! Also include, no drummers or singers as well....maybe the bass player assuming he can pull himself together mentally long enough to handle the task at hand.....no I am not a bass player. Just based on the years of playing in bands. Singer wants himself louder, the guitar player thinks his leads should rip your face off. And the drummer's not happy till the kick and snare the loudest thing on the song ;)

But your point is valid, I meant giving the client exactly what he wants in the way that he's totally pleased and recommends you to other musicians. But yeah, as musicians, sometimes we are clueless...and I am prepared for that.

Thanks again.

IS GUD!
I always liked the song!
I'd have liked it to step up a gear in level after Wham, Bam, thankyou mam as it is a call to rock out.

Last edited:
Back