Studiomaster consoles...anyone know anything about them?

As I quickly ( hastely ) read..

Maybe I missed something but what about the Yamaha 02R. With some patience and lot of homework I found one near my area barely touched for under $2k. I don't recall whether you mentioned digital or not but if you ask me, for the money you can't find much better. Good lock.

Digital boards make me nervous.

I figure the technology is changing so fast that a digital board can be obsolete in a matter of months or a year. An analog board is what it is-other than more expensive boards, there aren't going to be any world-stopping changes that will make my analog board obsolete.

If I'm going to upgrade the DAW part of the equation, it's a lot cheaper to get a ne interface or new software than replacing the board when and if I decide to upgrade.

Well as far as obsolesence, I know people still using their 02r's and 01v's. So much for obsolesence.

Of course if you buy an analog board, wait a week somebody will come out with something better.

I mean, look, all you need is mic pre's/eq/aux sends and faders, how fast can that go out of style. If your digital board can do all that then you are ok until you get bored.

Think of it this way. is the Neve 1073 Mic Pre Obsolete? is a Yamaha Rev 7 Obsolete? yeah there are other verbs but for my live rider I ask for one cuz it has the best symphonic and a nice down and dirty Plate whose character i love. I doubt that thing will ever be obsolete.

There is always a new toy, can the old toy do the job or have YOUR NEEDS GROWN.

If that is the case then a 24 channel board is obsolete when you need 32 channels.

H2oskiphil said:
Looking for a medium priced 8 bus board...saw a ton of Mackie 24-8's and 32-8's, and a couple of these Studiomasters. Seemed to be priced comparable to the Mackies, maybe set up more like an AH or a Soundcraft. Supposedly have a "British" sound, whatever that means. Anyone have any experience with them? I need a new board fairly quickly-I sold a band my Mackie 24-4, and they go on the road in about 3 weeks.....

I owned one and fixed a few. These boards are good sounding but because of their age, many of the ones I worked on needed recapping. They have unsealed pots that get very "crackly" and need constant maintanance. They are no longer in buisiness (as the original manufacturers) and generally tend to have power supply problems. If you can get a good one, you will be fairly lucky.

Back