Studiomaster consoles...anyone know anything about them?

H2oskiphil

It needs more cowbell!
Looking for a medium priced 8 bus board...saw a ton of Mackie 24-8's and 32-8's, and a couple of these Studiomasters. Seemed to be priced comparable to the Mackies, maybe set up more like an AH or a Soundcraft. Supposedly have a "British" sound, whatever that means. Anyone have any experience with them? I need a new board fairly quickly-I sold a band my Mackie 24-4, and they go on the road in about 3 weeks.....

They're built in England and were distributed in the US by International Music Company during the late 80's. Pretty good build quality and nice sound, but they had serious QC issues, and I don't know how much support is currently in place.

Harvey Gerst said:
They're built in England and were distributed in the US by International Music Company during the late 80's. Pretty good build quality and nice sound, but they had serious QC issues, and I don't know how much support is currently in place.

The one's I'm looking at look newer than that...from Google searching "studiomaster", it looks like someone bought the rights to the name and started making boards again....

I still have an older StudioMaster console. I like it a lot. The new ones are made in India. That scares me.

I have to disagree with harvey on this one. :)

I had a studiomaster back in the early 90's and despised it. low headroom, etc.. felt like those crappy soundtracs boards.

Now unless they have GREATLY improved over the older stuff I'd avoid them and put my money on a soundcraft board or a Midas Venice. Of course if you ever have used a Midas you will just adore the mic pre's and the EQ is to live for ;)... :)

BTW I am a Soundcraft guy myself and if 3-5k is your range then i'd say the Midas Venice as the Spirit Live's Pres and Eq are very lacking you need to goto the Series 2 at minimum to get the good Soundcraft EQ.

The Spirit Live came from the Old DOD line. and has not seen major mods since Soundcraft acquired it.

As for Studiomaster, i am not sure who RSD is....Looks like behringer gear.

I'd like a Soundcraft, but my budget for this deal is around $1K...I'd be hard pressed to get a 24-8 Soundcraft for that...I think.

Can anyone put a date on this beast? This is the board I'm looking at-seller says it's "about" 10 years old...anyone with any experience with this vintage?

What about a Soundtracs Topaz?

I did a search of the forum, and it gets compared to the Soundcraft boards a LOT...I've got a line on a 32*8*2 for around $1500....good deal?

The Topaz should never be compared to a Souncraft. Having dealt with a topaz from 96 to 99. I despised the board.

1. Very little headroom.
2. Poor gain pots.
3. A very dull sound overall as a desk. (And this client babies his gear)
4. No fun to mix on as the EQ leaves a lot to be desired. Anyone who has used a real board and then used a soundtracs is normally disappointed.
5. Flimsy construction. You had better baby the board or you will have headaches.
6. Routinely Faulty meter bridge (If you get one with one)

Basically not worth the money.

On that Showmix. LOL I remember that board it looked so good and was different. It sucked me in then i bought one and was mad after 2 weeks of use. Not worht it.

Stick to old tried and true. Soundcraft is a great way to go. Even the Live is better than that thing. :)

Sorry to be blunt. but he I have been through hell with these poorly designed desks.

I think you might get an argument out of Harvey on that one, seeing as how he's got that EXACT (unless he had his modded...) board in his Studio B....

When I did a search for the Topaz, I got a LOT of links to a LOT of studio gear lists. Including Harvey's. And I got a LOT of links to a LOT of places that rent equipment. But I DIDN'T get a link to many of them for sale.....

So I bought it. 32*8 with the meter bridge for $1500. I hope I like it... :-)

I Hope you do as well.

I never liked it. And was glad to see the client get rid of it. i had a bass playing buddy of mine ask me about one I told him dont waste his cash. he came back 6 months later and was man i shoulda listend the borad has no headroom and sounds dull. I was like well Hmm could alwasy use it as a paperweight.

Peace..

giles117 said:
I Hope you do as well.

I never liked it. And was glad to see the client get rid of it. i had a bass playing buddy of mine ask me about one; I told him don't waste his cash. He came back 6 months later and was "man i shoulda listened, the board has no headroom and sounds dull". I was like "well Hmm, could always use it as a paperweight."

Peace..
Well, that hasn't been the case with our Topaz 32 x 8. We've done some national releases with it and while it isn't as good as our MCI 556D, it ain't bad, especially for the price.

I like it better than the Soundcraft because it had more of the features that I knew from bigger boards. I don't like the mains 80Hz low eq, but all the other eq is quite useful and the board certainly doesn't sound dull to me, or the other engineers here. Headroom has never been an issue either.

Except for doing the internal repatching to +4 (instead of the stock -10), the board is absolutely stock. Is it flimsy construction? Yes, and I've always noted that whenever I talk about the Topaz. But sonically, and in terms of features, I prefer the Soundtracs to every other board in that price range.

"Your Milage May Vary!"

Last edited:
Harvey-

How would I be able to tell if the board I'm getting has had the +4/-10 mod? In reading a lot of threads from this board and on your PSW board, it seems like that's a pretty popular mod. I'm a little confused about whether or not it's a solder job or just changing a jumper, but that's putting the cart before the horse...I should probably pick it up before I start worrying about mods, etc.... :D

H2oskiphil said:
Harvey-

How would I be able to tell if the board I'm getting has had the +4/-10 mod? In reading a lot of threads from this board and on your PSW board, it seems like that's a pretty popular mod. I'm a little confused about whether or not it's a solder job or just changing a jumper, but that's putting the cart before the horse...I should probably pick it up before I start worrying about mods, etc.... :D
It's just two adjacent pads on the main board that you jumper by piling them up with solder till they connect - easy to do. It's all in the owner's manual, complete with pictures.

And it's not really a "modification" - it's an optional configuration that gives you different gain structures on the channel i/o's. It just comes from the factory preset to -10dB.

Harvey Gerst said:
It's just two adjacent pads on the main board that you jumper by piling them up with solder till they connect - easy to do. It's all in the owner's manual, complete with pictures.

Unfortunately, I'm not getting an owner's manual with the board.

I'm going to contact Steve Magalnick on Monday and get one ordered...heck, he might even know something about this particular board-the seller said it had been regularly serviced by someone on Long Island...I can't imagine there are TWO Soundtracs techs in that neck of the woods.....

I'm jacked about getting this board...but I'm not looking forward to the butcher job I'm going to have to do on my workstation to make it fit... :eek:

Oh well...such is the price of progress. :D

H2oskiphil said:
Unfortunately, I'm not getting an owner's manual with the board.

I'm going to contact Steve Magalnick on Monday and get one ordered.
If he doesn't have one, lemme know and I'll scan those two pages on the gain options for you.

He's got the manual-I talked to him today. The man knows a LOT about these boards...he lost me about 10 minutes into the conversation. But, the good news is there is still an expert on these floating around. Still a lot of parts available, too.

Great guy...likes to talk... :D

Well that might explain the poor headroom, but it doesn't explained the poor sound quality from the board. For what my client paid for that All I can say is it was a waste of his money. Everyone has different experiences, and mine with not just that one but other Topaz's that I got behind were very unfulfilling.

And realize I lived with their FOH desks too so as far as Soundtracs is concerned, I maintain my stance. Not worth the money.

But then again you can make a hit with a Roland 1680. So what does that prove?

I did. And it went Gold.

Peace.

giles117 said:
Well that might explain the poor headroom, but it doesn't explained the poor sound quality from the board. For what my client paid for that All I can say is it was a waste of his money. Everyone has different experiences, and mine with not just that one but other Topaz's that I got behind were very unfulfilling.

And realize I lived with their FOH desks too so as far as Soundtracs is concerned, I maintain my stance. Not worth the money.

But then again you can make a hit with a Roland 1680. So what does that prove?

I did. And it went Gold.

Peace.
Bryan, we disagree on the Topaz and the Soundcraft. That's fine with me. Different people like different things. It works fine for me. If the Soundcraft is a better choice for you, that's great. I have no problems with sound quality or headroom on my Topaz. But that's just my opinion.

My Point exactly. It's all opinions and preferences.

AS a FOH Engineer for years some guys Love the 4k others love the XL4 and me I love the Series 5. But that doesnt mean I cant use them all to get the job done, just my preference. :) (Oh yeah and 10 VCA's instead of the normal 8. LOL)

Of course I would love to get my hands on that new 5k. 12 VCA's Sorta like that Crest V12. And Motorized faders. What a boon for a tour And Built in Control for outboard Playback units. I am shaking with lust. LOL

Who knows after a test drive I might jump ship.

Last edited:
Back