Studio Pictures ? like to see

Dj SoundStorm

Hi

I would like to see pictures of everyones analog only studio ? do any of you still use a computer at all with your analog setups or do you just mostly use it for vst's and record on analog only ?

Just curious :)

Dj SoundStorm said:
do any of you still use a computer

I'm sure everyone here 'still use one' ;)

I actually use two of em' - to compute.

I use recorders to record.

Primitive logic? - I guess so. but I'm a primitive dude.

:D

/respects

"...If you can’t make a hit record with a Tascam or a Fostex, then you’re not going to able to do it with a Studer or Otari!"​
Indeed ..... Thanks Tim! :)

"...If you can’t make a hit record with a Tascam or a Fostex, then you’re not going to able to do it with a Studer or Otari!"

.that's a good one

Studio Pics and computer info

Here are a few pics of my studio... things are really messy and unorganized right now, partly because I'm waiting for a new board to come in. Right now, to get by, I'm using my Tascam 388 as a mixer in addition to a dying Peavey live board (using the 388 for inputs and the Peavey to monitor). The new board I've got coming is a Behringer MX9000.

As for computer usage, I just use the computer to mix down. I've got a Delta 44, so I can mix down to up to 4 channels, but usually use just two. Once in a while I'll send a track, like a vocal, straight into the 3rd or 4th channel on the Delta, that way I can tinker with some specific digital computer effects, but I don't like doing that often. Many times I mix down concurrently to analog 1/4" (I have a Tascam 22-2 hiding in the back there) for my own reference.

The strange metal box on top of and on the left of the 388 is a homemade compressor that my bassist built. Doesn't look like much, but it sounds sweet! It's got 4 channels and he built it from spare parts he had around in his basement. He's building me another 8 channel one soon.

Takings this pic has made me realize it's time to organize!!!

-MD

P. S. As for the equipment not shown (and directly behind the photographer), the highlights are a Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier and a Marshall JMP. That, and a bunch of SM57's, a couple Oktava MK 219's, and a Nady ribbon mic (definitely recommend that last one to anyone who wants a warm vocal without any tubes or other effects).

Attachments

• IMG_8303.JPG
    IMG_8303.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 182
themaddog said:
Takings this pic has made me realize it's time to organize!!!

-MD

).

cool gear, man... but geeeeeeeeee .... you gotta get some 2x4s, plywood sheets, get your saw and hammer handy and get to work ;) Look at your 'poor babbies' :eek: ... if there was SPCA for analog recording gear ...( huh ... ! Society For The Prevention of Cruelty to Analog )... I'd report your 'nest' immediately :D

/respects

I've probably posted this before, but my setup is described here.. It seems rather poor in comparison. I really need to replace the MX802a mixer, probably with a Yamaha MG16/4 or something similar, since I'd like to support more tracks in future.

I've actually moved since the photo was taken, but the setup itself is mostly the same. The only additions are a Watkins Copicat MK4, and an M-Audio USB soundcard to digitise the mixdown tape.

Right now I have been playing with my fostex R8. I mostly use the computer to mix down into a delta 44.

Attachments

• stud.JPG
    stud.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 160
But if needed I do have a few other options ;)

Attachments

• tasc.JPG
    tasc.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 65
  • mixer.JPG
    mixer.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 62
  • 32.JPG
    32.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 61
And Jeff. Nice looking rig there but there is one big problem.
Where did those cool curtains go? And you need a couple hundred cords to muck all that up :D

Herm said:
But if needed I do have a few other options ;)
do you mean if you needed to open reel-to-reel gear store or a ..hmmm, museum?
What do you keep em' for? I demand you to list them all at e-bay NOW!!!!!!!!!! :p
:D

/respects

This is mine! I love it because I have saved for over 2 years to buy this equipment and used all the resources at Harmony Central to guide me in my purchases. I like this BBS too. I need practice because the sound I get out of my mixer does'nt seem to be CD quality.

Oh well, I am happy to share my studio with you guys.

Attachments

• images[80].jpeg
    images[80].jpeg
    3.1 KB · Views: 153
Herm said:
And Jeff. Nice looking rig there but there is one big problem.
Where did those cool curtains go? And you need a couple hundred cords to muck all that up :D
The cool green curtains had to go. Moving is a bitch ya know...only a certain amount of room to work with in the new place and why it looks so neat and wire free at the moment is because nothing has been hooked up yet! :D

I'm gonna play with the positioning of the gear for a while before I commit to wiring it up. So, for now, it's in photo-shoot mode only. ;)

Thanks to all for the kind words of my new apartment, bedroom studio.

I wonder what kind words my neighbors will have for me? :D

Cheers! :)

Back