String as dead as a dodo :/

P-J

Rank Amateur
Hi all,

I've just restrung my Les Paul with Ernie Ball 12 - 56 since I'm trying to downtune it a bit. Problem is that the newly strung 'G' string sounds awful. It's ok when played open but when you fret it it has no sustain and is very 'dull' sounding.

It seems to bend over the nut and bridge nicely and I can't see that it's fret buzz (it happens on any fret and seems to clear well). I've tried raising the bridge to no effect.

Any ideas? Duff string? Something else I'm missing?

P-J, is this a larger gauge string set than you had been using? If so, the g-string may not be completely seated in the nut (or bridge saddle slot, or both) and this may be causing the problem.

P-J, is this a larger gauge string set than you had been using? If so, the g-string may not be completely seated in the nut (or bridge saddle slot, or both) and this may be causing the problem.

It seems to me that that would make the string sound weird open but OK fretted. He's got the opposite problem.

Check,

Neck relief
Pickup hight
saddle slot/string break angle.

Does the string ring true higher up the neck? If so what fret? Is it a wound G?

I had (and still kind of have) this exact problem with my Epiphone Dot.

All strings sound very nice and lively except for the G. When I play anything on the G, it will play the note, but then fade away very quickly and seemingly sounds like its going out of tune. I had it professionally set up and when I asked them about it, they didn't seem to know what I was talking about.

I guess the best way to describe it is that the notes don't sustain and almost sounds out of tune?

Well, the cheapest and easiest thing is to try a different string. I may not be a bad string, but it is possible.

After that, what Muttley said.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Thanks for all the advice!

I'll answer a few of the questions and hopefully will help round it down :)

I've checked the nut and it seems to be seated very well in there. It's gone right down to the base of the 'gap' and is bending over it. It's harder to tell with the bridge though.

Would it be worth trying to make the 'V' in the bridge a bit wider to accept the string?

It's not a wound string no, and it doesn't seem to ring any differently anywhere on the neck. The only time it'll sustain and sound alive is when it's open :/

I mean, realistically through process of elimination it's got to be the string or the bridge but I'm a bit worried about increasing the size of the slot in the bridge but since they're 'V' shaped I presumed it would just go as far into the 'V' as it needed.

The pickups definitely aren't fouling the string-- There's a good 1/8 - 1/4" gap there when it's fretted.

I'll try a different string and come back to you. I don't think I've used an 'unwound' (don't know the terminology!) G string before so is it possibly just a character of the string?

Help most appreciated :)

What is the action like now?

From the sound of it you have a problem with either a duff string (very uncommon) or more likely the saddle slot.

You can rule out a few things. The bridge is only in the equation for an open note after. Once fretted it is out of the equation. The string you can rule out by trying a different one.

Your left with neck relief/high fret or the saddle assuming the pickups are low enough not to interfere.

A quick way to check the saddle on a LP is to switch the saddle with the D just as a temporary check. Don't leave it that way as your strings will have seated themselves in those slots over time and are best as they were. The break angle may need increasing but that is unlikely if the open sounds cleanly.

The next test is to check the neck relief.

Hold the string down at the first or second fret and also at the fourteenth. You should have a gap about the thickness of your G string between the fret and the string at the top of the fret at the seventh fret.

Next to check for a high fret. Get a straight edge like a small steel rule of even a credit card and rest it on the fret and see if it rocks from side to side. You should be looking at the upper end of the fingerboard.

If you find a problem with any of these report back. I wouldn't attack the saddle slot just yet unless you are sure it is the culprit. Even then with care. It sounds like you are going from a wound string to a plain? That would be my first guess and you might need to dress the slot carefully.

If all this fails you are looking at a possible problem with neck angle but I doubt that. Is it a set neck or bolted?

Thanks for the reply!

At the minute, the action is probably about average. It's not particularly low, nor is it very high. There's easily visible string clearance on most of the frets on most of the strings.

I have gone from a wound to unwound string and I think it's the first time I've ever used an unwound G string on this guitar.

Anyway, when I get home tonight I'll run through the list of things you've given me to try and report back. Much appreciated :)

I strongly suspect the saddle in that case, but have a good look over the neck relief and high frets in any case. It's good to be able to spot these things even if your not confident fixing them. A bit like your car, it's nice to know where the problem is before you leave it with the mechanic.:)

Incidentally, would it help if I recorded the string in question? Would it help give you an indication of what I should be looking at?

Incidentally, would it help if I recorded the string in question? Would it help give you an indication of what I should be looking at?
It wouldn't hurt. Often diagnosing these things takes no time at all if you have the thing in front of you, but a sound file of the open string and then the fretted notes might help.

You can rule out a few things. The bridge is only in the equation for an open note after. Once fretted it is out of the equation.

Don't you mean the nut is only in the equation for an open string and once fretted it is out of the equation?

Here is an MP3 :

It does seem to get a little worse as I go up the neck. Any advice from this? :)

Back