Sticky Shed Help Thread

Lpr-35

Hi

I wanted to ask is a BASF LPR-35 tape is OK for Teac 80-8 ?
I know that 911 or 468 could be better, but now I have a chance to grab one...
It's not seems to old and sticky ?

Thomas

Attachments

• IMGP0392.jpg
    IMGP0392.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 163
  • IMGP0393.jpg
    IMGP0393.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 152
Tim,

Thanks so much for the great reply. That is extremely helpful.

I will not use the tape. It was just a temptation since it came with the deck anyway, but the way the heads are on the 440 it could really be a pain if the binder started letting go...slots cut adjacent to each side of each track...and considering the thing fast-winds tape twice the speed of my 48/58, that could REALLY be a mess...

THANK YOU!

Hi

I wanted to ask is a BASF LPR-35 tape is OK for Teac 80-8 ?
I know that 911 or 468 could be better, but now I have a chance to grab one...
It's not seems to old and sticky ?

Thomas

BASF is fine but LPR-35 [1mil] is a bit too thin for what the 80-8 was originally setup [1.5mil]. Unless you readjust tension on your recorder, it might stretch the tape or worse brake it. You should go through an alignment procedure anyway, for a recorder of this age but I'd personally stick to either BASF / EMTEC / RMGI 911 or QUANTEGY 456.

BTW, if the tape in question is in your photo, then I'd be wary 'cause it's not sealed or appear new and you really don't know what's on there.

80-8 tape

I didn`t know that 80-8 was setup for 1.5mil....

It seems that I should have to find service manual for my deck first and see some technical specs (adjustments etc), and then look for appropriate tape.
Basf/Emtec is hard to find and RMGI 911 is a little bit expensive for me but i dont exclude to buy one.

Anyway thank you for answer :)

regards

Thomas

Yes, a service manual is mandatory, IMHO. I'd recommend you get a copy.

You're welcome.:)

Be careful with NOS BASF and TDK reel tape, I have seen the binder let go on both and it's UGLY! Sadly I can't give you specific lot numbers etc, but TDK and BASF tape from around 1980ish gave me problems.

AK

Basf SM 911

Hi

Thanks for advice.
I just bought a pair of BASF SM 911. Seller says that they are from 1995.
Do you think they could be problematic ? They have internal plastic ring....

1a.jpg

3a.jpg

2a.jpg

I've got some of that BASF 911 & it's fine, ones a EMTEC / BASF on the box, another the same as yours, also have a BASF PEM 468 All of these tapes I've used without problems. Also have 3 more BASF 911 NOS reserved for future use.

6 screw precision reels, use of of these for the tape supply reel on your machine. Should ensure better tape handling & packing when in use.

Hi

Thanks for advice.
I just bought a pair of BASF SM 911. Seller says that they are from 1995.
Do you think they could be problematic ? They have internal plastic ring....

Yeah, as trancedental said, those should be fine. I have BASF SM911 like that and even older than that with no issues at all.

The only problem is if it is used tape... then it may have other issues from use.

~Tim
:)

This may have already been asked somewhere else, but I'll ask it anyway:

If you were to buy say, the 'new tape' (such as RMGI is it?) - and you use it a few times for recording your own personal material on, - then is it 'safe' to use a 'degausser' or 'bulk-tape-eraser' on it, so that you can 're-use' that same 'new' tape over & over?

(I'm just asking to see if I can avoid all the major costs of always having to purchase a brand new reel of tape for each recording session or album, once it's all filled up.)

(I'm 'assuming' btw that you can not do this procedure on some of the 'older' tapes that you can buy off Ebay - but can you do this with the 'new' RMGI tapes & such?)

- thanks.

Yep, you don't need a bulk eraser either. If your deck's well set up then its erase head will do the job for you. I often slow my machines down to 7 1/2ips and run a tape end to end through recording but with nothing being input just to erase it.

Then I use them again.

I suspect we all do something like that and just keep new reels for the important sessions that come up.

Havin' said that, anything that we do that is going to be released gets a new reel.

:)

Geoff

I'm very leary of TDK reel tape. Back in the mid 70's I had a nice SONY rtr deck and ran TDK through it and it developed dropout problems that were never fully cured. Other tapes worked well enough afterwards but every time I put the TDK on it the machine gave problems. I believe it had something to do with the particle size of the oxides TDK was using as they made a big deal out of calling attention to the oxide particle size. I think the particles were bridging the head gaps.

When I first got a reel to reel back about 77 I was trying every cheap tape I could find and one of them was BASF. That stuff shed so much oxide all over my hard permalloy heads on my cheap Akai 4000ds mkII that it would start dropping out after about 45 minutes of recording. I gave up on that stuff and the cheap Radio Shack super tape and started buying the good Maxell from Jafco, remember them ;)
I wish I had at least kept those tapes, but I traded the whole mess away in the late 80's when I started doing more cd's and cassette recording that would work in our cars.
I guess now some folks like the BASF tape formulations but back then I thought they were awful, the heads and guides would be caked after a few passes.

The tapes I've never had any problems with is Maxell, the very old Basf can be horrible and even older 911 can get a little sticky when stored under circumstances with high humidity.

The best you can do is ff and rewind the tape while holding a small roll of toiletpaper to the oxide side of the tape. The brown stuff will stick to the toiletpaper and the tape runs like a new one. This works well with older 911 tape, Ampex 456 needs to be baked anyway when it's sticky.

Last edited:
That's the worst case of Scotch shed I've seen! Lookit... most of the tape, oxide and backing disintegrated!:eek: Maybe baking would help?:confused: It's going to be a pain in the *ss transferring those precious recordings though.. :D:D;);)

Back