Stick Breakage!

How often do YOU (or YOUR drummer) break a stick?

• Never, I've had the same ones since I was a young'un

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Once in a blue moon

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • A few times a year

Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Every other practice/show

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • One every practice/show or so

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • More than one at every practice/show (how many?)

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters
VSpaceBoy said:
If he uses a harder stick that will help him save money, but it won't help me any. :D
It won't save him any money because he will start going through cymbals. I tried those oak sticks and broke 3 cymbals in a week. The $8 sticks held up great, too bad it took out $600 worth of cymbals.

I live by the Japan Oak sticks. I won't use anything else... aside from the nylon tip issues that I spoke of earlier, I have never broken a Japan Oak stick.

Heck, I've even TRIED to break one of my old pairs because I had picked up 2 or 3 new pairs... I couldn't even do that! I gave them to one of my high school students and he managed to break them on a marching snare (although I suspect that he just sat there hacking away at the shoulder until it gave way). Did some serious denting to the marching snare's rim, though, FWIW.

well i'm not gonna tell your drummer to play quiter unless he's bashing away while your doing some sklow love song or something. and i ditto to previos post who say that he should work on his techneque. and i'll say this. playing quiter does help improve technique becouse than you can hear the "true" sound, becouse any drummer can sound good if they play loud.

anyway it can be a cool stage feature too. my old band got our drummer to to hit the crash 10 times breaking a stick and grabbing a new one evry time without loosing the beat.

but my new drummer usto break sticks like mad to. only he never got shards that hit him, they would actually fly at US (the rest of the band) i've got a scar on my left arm (i'm the singer/guitar player and my bass player actially had a tip that lodged itself in his side(not verry deap but still creepy seeing a pice of wood sticking out from some one's side. but latly he hasn't broken a stick for almost a year yet he's been playing hever stuff than he usto. so i agree it's all about techneque

Back