Stick Breakage!

How often do YOU (or YOUR drummer) break a stick?

• Never, I've had the same ones since I was a young'un

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Once in a blue moon

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • A few times a year

Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Every other practice/show

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • One every practice/show or so

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • More than one at every practice/show (how many?)

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters

VSpaceBoy

..loading
Ok, my drummer beats the shit out of his drums and its driving me more and more crazy. He hits them so hard, he's always breaking sticks and I think I'm going to finally sit him down and have a "come to jesus" converstion.

I figure, I can use this poll against him. :cool:

Thank you please drive through

What poll..? :D

You slipped that one in on me!!

I only throw them.... :eek: :D Not that I am a real drummer or anything. ;)

VSpaceBoy said:
Sweet new avatar there momma! :)
I hope you never get rid of the spideys Space...I love em...as you scroll down, it makes ya cringe for a sec.... :D

Thanks baby !! Some guy named Thurgood said my witch scared him...so I thought I would do the right thing, since it is Halloweenie and all... :)

....put a scarier one up !! :eek: :D :D :D

I had a tip on a 15-year old pair of 7a's finally chip. I've also frayed some Hot Rods. That's it. I don't play much, though.

Have him try the Pro-Mark Japanese Oak sticks. They are f-ing hard. If that doesn't work, just beat him with one of them until he learns some control. Less grip pressure will also help.

scrubs said:
I had a tip on a 15-year old pair of 7a's finally chip. I've also frayed some Hot Rods. That's it. I don't play much, though.

Have him try the Pro-Mark Japanese Oak sticks. They are f-ing hard. If that doesn't work, just beat him with one of them until he learns some control. Less grip pressure will also help.

Thanks for the tip but my goal is for him to hit the drums LIGHTER and save my future drums tracks, hearing, PA, voice etc.. :)

If he uses a harder stick that will help him save money, but it won't help me any. :D And I"ll remind him to grip lighter.. (but he's told me that in the past so he bought a pair of gloves so he could still hang on to his sticks)

i used to break cymbals a lot...

I used to break cymbals a lot... stopped that (Cost to much!), then a number of sticks,... now it's rare when a stick breaks, and I hit pretty damn hard.
It's all a matter technique, or practice I suppose. now if those sticks can stay in my frikin hand is another story.

Also, how many have knocked themselves in the head/face when they started playing. It's funny now, but It wasn't then. Regal tip 5b left a mark in my cheek for a week. ha!

VSpaceBoy said:
And I"ll remind him to grip lighter.. (but he's told me that in the past so he bought a pair of gloves so he could still hang on to his sticks)
Gloves? I need some of those !! :D

porkchop said:
Also, how many have knocked themselves in the head/face when they started playing. It's funny now, but It wasn't then. Regal tip 5b left a mark in my cheek for a week. ha!
Yah...I still do that sometimes !! It hurts if I get my nose!!!

I used 5A's exclusively back in the day, and could probably go through a weeks worth of playing before they would break (Hard Rock type stuff)

Now that the venues and clubs are smaller, I'm using 7A's and will probably break one stick per night if the show is over 3 hours...

porkchop said:
Back when I had long hair (or hair period...for that matter), I hated when I'd split a stick lengthwise, and on the next downstroke I'd yank out a bunch (hence the reason I'm half damn bald now). Did that one time and on the rebound took the stick in the damn eye. Double whammy!!!!!!! It was awful damn hard to keep playing as my eye was bleeding (however it was a death metal band, and as a theatrical element, I think the fans loved).

Atterion said:
Back when I had long hair (or hair period...for that matter), I hated when I'd split a stick lengthwise, and on the next downstroke I'd yank out a bunch (hence the reason I'm half damn bald now). Did that one time and on the rebound took the stick in the damn eye. Double whammy!!!!!!! It was awful damn hard to keep playing as my eye was bleeding (however it was a death metal band, and as a theatrical element, I think the fans loved).

Ouch.. thats rock in rock baby!!

I use 5As pretty much exclusively... I'll stop using sticks long before they break, since I break one maybe once every two or three months and the tips are usually a little dead-sounding before then anyway.

Atterion said:

HA! Yer a frikin rock star. Never stop playing! Eyes are overrated, you have 2 of them! :)

Anyone playing rims shots, which would be all rock drummers I'd say, is going to break stix. The best bet is to use the carbon fibre jobs. I've had mine for around 10 years, and I like to smack the bejesus out of the old Pearl kit

Bulls Hit said:
Anyone playing rims shots, which would be all rock drummers I'd say, is going to break stix. The best bet is to use the carbon fibre jobs. I've had mine for around 10 years, and I like to smack the bejesus out of the old Pearl kit

Yea well he broke two pairs of those two after a two practices.. :eek: :confused:

Back