spider II HD 75

Yeah it will be loud enough. I have a small 30 watt Line 6 spider that I use for recording, it works fairly well. The sound is not bad at all, not amazing, but not bad either.

cubanorocker316 said:
Hey guys what do you think of the line 6 spider II HD 75 head. it sounded pretty god from the sound clips, but i wanted to know if this amp is worthy for gigging, for example if it was loud enough.

i'd appreciate any replies, thanks guys

- Lou

Get it out of your head that you need a lot of watts to play live. That's misinformation that's been spread over the years. Huge name acts always played and endorsed hi wattage half stacks which began leading kids to believe you needed a 100 watt stack just to play live. If you're playing in front of 60 thousand people you might need 100 watts. If you're playing in pretty much any venue other than a stadium and sometimes even a stadium, lower wattage amps will do just fine.

jonnyc said:
Get it out of your head that you need a lot of watts to play live. That's misinformation that's been spread over the years. Huge name acts always played and endorsed hi wattage half stacks which began leading kids to believe you needed a 100 watt stack just to play live. If you're playing in front of 60 thousand people you might need 100 watts. If you're playing in pretty much any venue other than a stadium and sometimes even a stadium, lower wattage amps will do just fine.

I think that all depends.

jonnyc said:
listen, i dont mean to be mean, but i get these kind of replies all the time, and it really gets me mad. Why cant you just answer the question i asked, and if your not going to answer it, then dont reply at all, ok ? thank you

- Lou

cubanorocker316 said:
listen, i dont mean to be mean, but i get these kind of replies all the time, and it really gets me mad. Why cant you just answer the question i asked, and if your not going to answer it, then dont reply at all, ok ? thank you

- Lou

Are you slow? I did answer it, 75 watts is more than you'll probably ever need. Do you really think there's a massive difference between 75 and 100 watts?

You should also ask yourself, "why am I asking this question all the time?"

jonnyc said:
Well then lets us know a few situations where 100 watts is the only way to go.
You sound a bit full of youself "jonnyC" no offense, and thank you for the advice you already gave, but I'd appreciate it if you refrained from replying in this thread at all, or to any of my threads in the future. Because what is happenning here is basically a debate, and then i won't get my question answered, so just forget about it.

- Lou

When playing live, 75 watts in a solid state amp sounds about right. Tube amps provide a lot more punch than solid state. I'v'e been on stage jamming with someone with a spyder, and it didn't quite have enough volume. You don't want to have to crank a solid state amp too much to get a decent volume from it. It just won't sound as good. Clean headroom will work better for you. My old 50 watt tube Marshall will smoke most 100 watt solid state amps when it comes to volume and punch. It's just the way they're designed.
You need a little "reserve" to be able to be heard well over a loud drummer and other instruments. Better to play on 3 1/2 , than 8 or 10.

Just my 2 cents.

cubanorocker316 said:
You sound a bit full of youself "jonnyC" no offense, and thank you for the advice you already gave, but I'd appreciate it if you refrained from replying in this thread at all, or to any of my threads in the future. Because what is happenning here is basically a debate, and then i won't get my question answered, so just forget about it.

- Lou

What? How is that being full of myself? I asked him to name a few situations to add more info to the thread. You asked a question that you should be educated about. A lot of people your age swear that 100 watts is the only thing that'll do, volume wise, live and that isn't true. By asking if a 75 watt head is enough leads me to think that's the way you think. As an example, I let a bunch of kids use my Vox 30 watt half stack for a show that had several hundred people there. They were terrified that the guitars wouldn't be nearly loud enough, and of course that didn't prove to be true at all the guitars sounded huge.

jonnyc said:
As an example, I let a bunch of kids use my Vox 30 watt half stack for a show that had several hundred people there. They were terrified that the guitars wouldn't be nearly loud enough, and of course that didn't prove to be true at all the guitars sounded huge.

Is that a tube amp?

cubanorocker316 said:
Hey guys what do you think of the line 6 spider II HD 75 head. it sounded pretty god from the sound clips, but i wanted to know if this amp is worthy for gigging, for example if it was loud enough.

i'd appreciate any replies, thanks guys

- Lou

Ok, first hand experience here with the amp your talking about in a live situation on stage with a band playing mostly 80's hair metal. The other guitarist in my band used a line6 spider2, 75 watts.

My honest opinion, enough volume if you use your stage monitors to help you with volume and dont turn up to loud. THe problem that lies with this amp is after a certain point, you dont get more volume you just get this terrible clipping that really makes the speaker crap out, and tone sucks in my opinion for a live situation at that volume you need. That amp pushes alot of bottom end that will put you right in the freq's of the bass guitar so there just isnt enough seperation so one cuts through the mix. IF you want that then fine go with it. At low volumes, the spiders sound STUDIO quality for direct recording. I personally hate them for live.

Also i want to BACK JonnyC's remarks. He brought up some good points for you to think about. Case in point for you....I saw Keith Urban (one of the biggest touring artists lately) play 4 times on his last tour. Every night he used a combination of small tube amps depending on what song and what tone and what guitar he is using. He was also using in ear monitors, so stage volume to him is not an issue, TONE is. Something to think about.

Good luck to you.

TravisinFlorida said:
I can tell you right now, tube or solid state, combo or 4x12 cab, 30 watts will not cut it for me. I like to feel some kick.

Bullshit! :D You should hear my 30 watt bad boys. You crank my Mesa DC-3 up and your ears will bleed. 3, is the max volume I could record at without getting the cops called on me, for whatever reason the Vox isn't nearly that loud, no numbers but probably more like a 5-6. Anyway my Vox at 3/4's volume was plenty loud for the nearly thousand person venue. And no that wasn't thru the pa I was actually behind the PA and pretty much right next to the guitar player and he had no problem at all hearing himself and neither did I. You're a stupid bastard. :D

I don't know what your vox sounds like but I don't like bright amps. I like dark amps with strong lows and mids. I literally like to feel the amp kick when I whack on a open chord. Not bullshit! :D

TravisinFlorida said:
I don't know what your vox sounds like but I don't like bright amps. I like dark amps with strong lows and mids. I literally like to feel the amp kick when I whack on a open chord. Not bullshit! :D

I believe when I recorded those kids the first time with it they all said "is that amp a little too ballsy for our music?" I laughed and said too ballsy? You crazy fuckers wait til it's done and tell me what you think. It's a very thick, dark sounding amp. Outlaws refers to it as "good" mud. When I bought the amp I figured it was bright and shiney sounding, thought I'd get some good clean tones and just use the Mesa for distortion. Then I cranked it up and holy hand grenades I was hooked, it was like a pitbull barking at you.

jonnyc said:
I believe when I recorded those kids the first time with it they all said "is that amp a little too ballsy for our music?" I laughed and said too ballsy? You crazy fuckers wait til it's done and tell me what you think. It's a very thick, dark sounding amp. Outlaws refers to it as "good" mud. When I bought the amp I figured it was bright and shiney sounding, thought I'd get some good clean tones and just use the Mesa for distortion. Then I cranked it up and holy hand grenades I was hooked, it was like a pitbull barking at you.

That sounds like a cool amp to me. :) What amp is it? I like an amp that gets really rude when I play hard.

Back