Sound Monitors

About the cheapest decent monitors that wont leave you wanting more are the Tannoy Proto-J's.....169.99/pair at Mars.....

I wasn't trying to be rude or facetious, in my last post to you in this thread.

But, there are certain corners you can not cut.

Your MONITORS and SOUNDCARD/S will be the most important part of your setup (how it goes in {soundcard}, how it comes out {soundcard}, and how you perceive/hear the two {monitors}).

Remember...

You get what you pay for...

peace ;)

spin

Fostex...

I was just at Mars and they had a Fostex setup that was around $180. I don't know the model number, and I'm certainly no expert at this point, but they seemed to have pretty decent response. I'm thinking of investing...

Monitors

Try and look at it this way....(just my thots)
The best amplification system, along with the most extensive rack you can imagine, and top of the line equipment ain't worth diddly if you cut corners on where the sound is gonna be heard. Imagine your system or any other studio set-up for that matter. Now imagine listening to your work through the 6" oval speaker in your grandfathers buick. Sometimes ya gotta spend the extra few bucks. But hey..if you can get something worthwhile on ebay...go for it. Personally, I got burned once...so I don't do anything on ebay anymore.
Once again, Spinsterwun said it best.....
"There are certain corners you can not cut."

I've been hearing about monitors for a day or two now.
I thought you guys were talking about computer monitors and monitoring the music that way. I just couldn't place what ya were saying with the monitor I pictured.

Then I figured it out.

I thought you were talking about headphones.
Now, I saw at a online store someone posted, that they are speakers.

Monitors are speakers, right?
Well made, very good sounding speakers?
Is there something really special abou them for them to not be called speakers?
I'm terrribly new at this....
Thanx!!!!

badgas said:
Is there something really special abou them for them to not be called speakers?
Studio jargon... probably derived from using speakers to "monitor" signals during tracking/mixing/processing/etc...

Welcome...

Bruce

I ran a search last night. I learnt a lot from the different sites I checked out.
Oh, yes. Jargon.
Thanks guys.

Gidge,

Did you ever get the ysm-1p's? I new you were waiting on them. They should be out by now. They told me in August when I called back in May. Are they out yet?

Taylor

No, I havent yet and the $$$ are burning a hole in my pocket....but along the way Im starting to look at the Tannoy Proto-J's.......now Im terribly confused......

Some seem to like the proto-js, I had a pair for a couple of weeks and I was having a hard time with them ( they were making me over emphisize the bass too much). I found my pair of monitor ones and took the proto-js back. Now I may have got a bad pair but a/b tests with other speakers had the proto-js sounding inferior to almost everything in the room. I had only purchased them because they were the most affordable at the time( they wernt the ones I really wanted and needed a sub real bad,Tannoy even sells a sub that goes with the set to make it complete) That put them in a leauge with the crappy fostex sub sat system as far as Im concerned.:(

Back