Sound Card Selection????

Enigma.XI

So, forgive me...I am not new to computers and "consumer" sound cards, but I have no idea on which "prosumer" cards are the best bang for the buck...

So, for value and quality, what are your recomendations? 8-in and 8-out would be nice...I plan on doing everything on board of my PC, no externals...and I'm not too wrapped up in the MIDI side of things, just going vocals, guitars, bass, some keyboard...

As far as programs, I like Vegas Pro, but only because I've used it before and found it more user friendly than Cakewalk...I use Sonic Foundry Sound Forge for editing final tracks...

So, what do you guys think?

Just about any of the cards that you can find in the catalogs are good. Some are big dollars. The one that I use is the AARK20/20.
Sells for about $800.00 has 8 analog ins and outs plus digital I.O. It's a good solid unit.

Can't complain with my Event Gina, although the quality of cards has undoubtedly increased since I got mine. Id say go with Pro Tools. That is if you happen to have a wad of bills lying around and a third arm you deem dispensable.

I've been looking into this, and I'm thinking on the GadgetLabs system...true 24+24 architecture? Sounds pretty good to me, but, one has to wonder why it's so much cheaper than the others...(thinkg about AMD now, and maybe it makes sense...hmmmm...)

I'm running an AMD based CP, so compatability is also a problem...most companies don't test their hardware out on AMD systems, and I'm not gonna be the guinea pig...

But with the K6-3 level3 cache, the system is fstaer than most pentium based sytems and is quite ideal for audio and/or video...so I'm sticking with the AMD, just need to find the card.

Guess I have to stop slagging the pgh music scene now! Enigma I'm in about the same place as you right now, so I can't say that I've had experience with any soundcard, but I'll list some that I've been researching for your sake, also in hopes that other folks can tell us what they like or don't like about them.
These are all 8:8
Echo Layla,
Gadgetlabs wave 8/24
Lexicon Core 2
MOTU 1224 ($$$$$)
I understand Aarkvark went under so the 20/20 is off my list.
I'm about to check out the Lynx 1 card, but at posting I know nothing about it>
Your software choices sound good to me. I think PNS is having a clearance sale this month, you may want to check it out! -lzb

There's also the Audio DSP24 with ADC/DAC2000 setup if you're looking for 8 I/O. Check it out at http://www.buydigital.co.kr/digital/english/products_showcase.htm

I have one and it's working fine. Some claim that it's better than the similar (and more expensive) Wave 824 but I have never tried the Wave card so I couldn't tell the difference. I'm told that the DSP24 setup is better (less noise) because the A/D and D/A is in the breakout box rather than on the PCI card as is (apparently) the case in the Wave 824 setup. Also, the DSP24 setup is only $400, which could make the decision easier...

Good luck.

/Ola

Rsiegel,
Sorry I can't offer any details because I don't know any. I was talking to an engineer friend of mine, asking hin about cards, computer upgrades, etc. When I mentioned I was looking at the Aark 20/20, he said that Aardvark went bankrupt, so I should shy away from them. I haven't researched it myself, probably won't. If you find out otherwise, please post somewhere on this bbs. Sorry I don't mean to cry wolf and not know anything more, but I usually trust the guy who told me.
BTW has anybody else looked at the hoontech stuff? they make all kinds of shit, looks like they even make some inexpensive upgrades for SB cards.Thanks Ola! -lzb

I've not seen anyone mention the Midiman (or M-Audio) Delta 1010. Seems to be an obvious contender in this group of cards.

Tim

Thanx guys...you've been a lot of help. I'm going to check on all of the cards you've mentioned.

Lazyboy, two things. One, WHERE in PA are you? And yes, I E-mailed aardvark about the availability of thier cards, their reply was that their cards are scarce only because they are so popular. They also replied that in PA, thre is only ONE dealer with ONE of thier cards and they advise it will probably be gone by the weekend. Something's rotten in Denmark eh?

Thanks guys. If anyone finds out more info, post it here, I'm going to check around awhile before I make the purchase...

Also, for anyone running or thinking of running an AMD based sytem, GadgetLabs has just replied that ALL of their cards are %100 compatable with AMD, even the Athlon...

Enigma,
I'm from Indiana PA, about 60 miles NE of pgh. Heard of IUP? I'm ignoring a mountain of school work every time I post here! I pretty much have to go to the city anytime I want to buy music stuff to avoid getting scalped at home.
What do you think of the pgh music scene? Overall I'd say its flat and closed-circle. My opinion=0.
Maybe we should warn Jimmiac and the rest of the PA guys here that there's only one more Aark card in PA and we only have until the weekend to find it!-lzb

Hi Enigma & LazyBoy.......
Just for Inputs......The LynxONE card works very Awesome to me. I use it with VegasPRO...they both work well together & the LynxONE card has itself very-very damn good SPECIFICATIONS!!And its got 32 ch of midi by its card also.

But the only thing is LynxONE only has 4 in's/out's (2 digital/2 analog), so....even it's good for me, ....sometimes, when I need more I/O's.. it felt kinda lil' expensive (for arround $500)to get those only 4 I/O's; not to mention if you can afford to install 2 of 'em, that would be another thing!!
LynxOne born from the needs to create a well decent Professional computer MASTERING or Transfering which also works very well for TRACKING needs.(according to EM mag reviews)!!

If you "must" get those 8 in's & out's, as a LynxONE owner...you better go with another card, i.e Yahaha DS 2416 or even MoTu 24i & does all your works inside the computer, rights...!??

Damon

[This message has been edited by Damon (edited 03-30-2000).]

Thanks for the input Damon...

Lzb...what do I think of the pgh music scene? To be honest, I think it's gets a bum rap. There are plenty of good acts out here, but there is little industry support. If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere.

I honesty think the music scene here is pretty diverse, but we musicians lack the support of some of the larger music scenes in some states.

Just like any other musician, I would love to sign a record deal and change all of this...

...23 and still chasing dreams...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Enigma.XI:
Thanks for the input Damon...

Lzb...what do I think of the pgh music scene? To be honest, I think it's gets a bum rap. There are plenty of good acts out here, but there is little industry support. If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere.

I honesty think the music scene here is pretty diverse, but we musicians lack the support of some of the larger music scenes in some states.

Just like any other musician, I would love to sign a record deal and change all of this...

...23 and still chasing dreams...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been using the Lexicon Core 2 and it works fine with my machine. Just need to get more memory and faster hard drive in my part.

STRATMAN

I've got to tell you people!! I have been reading this BBS for some time but I never had a reason to reply to anyonw until now. Screw all of those other sound cards. Try Guillemot sound cards. That's Gwee mow. It's French (OK maybe I'm partial because I'm Cajun ahahaaa) Really. I bought one about 3 months ago, and it kicks butt. It's got 8 inputs and 4 outputs plus a special "gaming mode" for when your not recording. The only drawback I've seen so far is that it has no internal amp (only line outs) so you'll need powered monitors or some other similar arrangement. I think they have a home page (search for Guillemot and sound cards) The best part is the price. I got mine for a little over $300!! Amazing!!

A Bientot mes amis...

Hey Damon, have you had a chance to put your Lynx against the over three times as much Apogee converters?

I am in the process of remastering some mixes that the producer spent like $75 an hour at a mastering place that used Apogee's. The Lynx obviously has pointed out some pretty severe harshness in the mastered versions of the mixes that we didn't hear at the mastering house. It blew my mind to hear stuff that I couldn't hear on Apogee's through a $450 card.

Outright, the Lynx card is a gem in audio. The true test of any soundcard is the A/D/A converters. Usually, you cannot even get decent 16 bit A/D/A converters for less then $1000 for 2 channels, much less any decent 20 or 24 bit converters.

I imagine that the Lynx people are still living poor seeing's that they sell a card that sounds as good or better than Apogee's, which are considered some of the best A/D/A converters in the world, for about 3 times less. To me, if I needed another two channels I would just buy another Lynx. Yeah, so I don't have 8 I/O's for $1000, but I know that I have 4 of the best 24 bit converters available for that price. This is something that you may not find with cards offering 8 I/O's for the same price. In fact, many of these 8 I/O cards are not 24 bit at all. Many times they do not provide any more than about 18 bits in real life. For that matter, it may not even be a decent 18 bits.

I have heard many recordings done through these other cards, and while the recordings where decent enough, they didn't sound like 24 bits to me. They really didn't even sound like 20 bits. In fact, they often don't sound a whole lot better than my 16 bit ADAT's do. So, I wouldn't get all hung up on most manufactures 24 bit claims. In most cases this is an exagerated claim. If the card offers DSP on the card, they will often lead you to believe that the converters are 24 bit, but they actually mean that there is 24 bit processing. Also, you need to look for specs that specify 24 bit Linear, not compressed. But often, a manufacture will not lead on untill you ask them that their converters use some sort of compression that is supposed to "emulate" 24 bits.

Anyway guys, don't eliminate the Lynx card just because it only offers 2 A/D/A converters. The quality of those converters are surely much much better than these wanna be 24 bit cards. The price itself would suggest this.

Ed

That's the reason why I'm thinking of going with the gadgetlabs wave/824...they discuss exactly the sceanrio you just posted about. They offer that their card has TRUE 24bit, whereas the other cards offer 20bit at best, but compress it and market it as 24 bit...but this Lynx card may be worth looking into. Guillemot? Killer graphics card, I need specs on audio though. I guess going with on 4 ins is okay though, just have to ditch a live effort and go back to the "old ways" of doing one track at a time, one instrument at a time...oh the humanity.

Hey Mr. Brown...WHAT Guillemot card is it...the only one they offer on their website is a $49 gaming card...more info please....

Back