Sonar 4 - To upgrade or not to upgrade. That is the question.

Sonar 4: Upgrade or not?

• Damn straight! Gimme the Producer Edition!

Votes: 30 61.2%
  • Hmmm, I'll take Studio Edition thanks.

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Keep yer new fangled gadgets sonny, I'm happy here!

Votes: 15 30.6%

• Total voters
I have Sonar 3 Producer now and will probably give them a few months to work out the bugs before I bite on the upgrade.

Best regards, Keys :cool:

The last 3 days I have looked at 3 different programs I really wanted to buy. All of them had copy protection and hardware specific autorization. Can't live with that. Trouble when you upgrade computer, reinstall after virus attacks etc. So I decided to buy none of those.

Long live Sonar with a simple serial number. After this I decided to keep upgrading every year. Don't have to worry about my invested money will go lost.

I upgraded - Track Locking in SONAR4 - a must have working at 88.2/96KHz on my P4 2.6GHZ machine - for me anyway !

The price seems a bit steep but I got over it...especially since Adobe Audition is startin to give me grief with it's busses and slllooowwwness...

Sonar 4 PE

My Sonar 4 PE arrived today. No problem in installation, which is always good. I opened up some of my projects, that I automated in Sonar 3.11 PE. They sound airier to my ears, Sonar 3 was punchier. I think, it will make the acoustic guitars and vocals sound better. I was sold for the pow-r 3 dithering and mpex scaling. Sonar 4 seems to draw the waveforms quicker, which is good :) I haven't noticed a significant drop or increase in CPU usage. I noticed it reacts quicker to my requests than Sonar 3 ie track envelopes, switching windows etc.. Tomorrow I'll mixdown and dither the same project with both of the appz to see the clear difference. And I'll start tracking some songs with it :)

burak

One thing you can do in 4 that 3 could not handle is delete a bus or add a buss on the fly during playback even with many tracks in the project. This would bring 3 to a dead halt.

kylen said:
I upgraded - Track Locking in SONAR4 - a must have working at 88.2/96KHz on my P4 2.6GHZ machine - for me anyway !

The price seems a bit steep but I got over it...especially since Adobe Audition is startin to give me grief with it's busses and slllooowwwness...

whats track locking?

upgrade complete!

I just upgraded, and took advantage of the promotion for Project 5.

I wonder why there are only 2 CDs this time around, and NO BOX. What's up with that? The upgrade costs the same, but the packaging is cheaper?

Oh, well, will keep you all informed as I get to play with it.

only 2 cd's must be because VSampler is no longer included. Unfortunately, as I think it's the most capable sampler you can get. With VSampler was several samples, including large piano samples. Guess that is why Sonar 3 need 3 cd's.

Is it just me, or is Sonar in a rapid upgrade cycle?

If so, I've seen this crap with the software industry, just to generate sales. Add a feature, call it a new release, charge a fortune.

I'm on Sonar 2.2XL. I'd like the beat detective feature mentioned in Sonar 4.

Is v4 a keeper, or just (yet another) interim version?

I attended a Sonar 4 workshop (= product show case) on Monday, which lasted for about 2 hrs or so. Even though I am a Logic user/fan, Sonar 4 blew me away! The quick freeze/unfreeze functions, the project folders, quick mute functions, and the surround panning of all tracks and effects are amazing. Also, the dither algorithms are supposedly much better than before.

For me, only two things are important in a DAW: 1) sound quality and 2) ease of operation. With Sonar 4 I could work much faster than with my current Logic 5.5. Next week I'll attend a Logic 7 workshop, and then I'll decide what to get.

(tip: if you attend these product road shows, you can get Sonar waayyyy cheap!!)

tombuur said:
The last 3 days I have looked at 3 different programs I really wanted to buy. All of them had copy protection and hardware specific autorization. Can't live with that. Trouble when you upgrade computer, reinstall after virus attacks etc. So I decided to buy none of those.

Long live Sonar with a simple serial number. After this I decided to keep upgrading every year. Don't have to worry about my invested money will go lost.

Yeah, the serial number is very convenient -- but I also like my Logic "X-key" USB dongle. I can install Logic on many machines (laptop, desktop), and as soon as I plug in the dongle its ready to go. Easy.

Is Sonar 4 hardware-specific?

I don't mind a license key, but I also refuse to support hardware specific software. I'm in the computer business, and a prime example of why not, is Symantec (Norton) antivirus and XP Service Pack 2.

SP2 destroys the configuration, and soft (downloaded) subscriptions to Norton AV no longer work. Trying to reach Symantec is about as easy as dialing the Pope on a direct line. Ain't gonna happen.

bgavin said:
Is Sonar 4 hardware-specific?
If you are asking about copy protection, Sonar has none. It only requires you to enter your serial number. Also your serial number is required for downloading update patches. So there is very little trouble here, and that is one of the reasons I prefer Sonar. If 10 years from now I want to use Sonar 4 for reviving an old project, I guess I can still do so. The competition however with dongles and hardware specific autorization etc., probably won't work ...

Thanks for the update. My Sonar 2.2XL requires only my serial, also for patch downloading. No problem.

I was going to pass on Sonar 4, if a dongle or hardware configuration key was required. When I change boards or cards, I want to continue using Sonar without a hassle.

I had my first look at S4 yesterday. I really like those folders. Using BFD drums I can now hide all those drum tracks in a folder, then I can open the folder when working on drums etc. S3 had a hide track facility, but it never worked well for me. It's gonna be fun finding out what else S4 can do for me.

And anyway, Cakewalk can count on me upgrading every year as long as there is no copy protection and no hassle. A cheap program I use for storing presets to my GT-6 guitar pedal has taught me some useful lessons. It has hardware specific copy protection, and so far I have had to ask the guy 3 times for a new autorization key. Upgrading the flash ram on my motherboard was enough to kill the program, so was changing the harddrive. I have once had to move several programs to someone else's laptop for a live performance 1 hour before the show. Could you imagine how that would work with copy protection schemes?

Hell, I'm still using Sonar 1 and I am sooo happy with it. I keep thinking I want to upgrade but there always seem to be some other gear I need...oh well.

Back