Sonar 4 - To upgrade or not to upgrade. That is the question.

Sonar 4: Upgrade or not?

• Damn straight! Gimme the Producer Edition!

Votes: 30 61.2%
  • Hmmm, I'll take Studio Edition thanks.

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Keep yer new fangled gadgets sonny, I'm happy here!

Votes: 15 30.6%

• Total voters
Here is what I hope freeze and folders will be about:

I have a midi track, a synth or sampler to produce the sound and finally some effects like a reverb plug-in on the resulting audio track. I guess I can put all this in a folder, so that for examle the bass guitar will only take up one row in the track view when the folder is closed. Furthermore after freezing, only the resulting audio tracks with applied effects will play without using cpu for synth or effects. Ideally the volume could still be adjusted for mixing purposes.

That's what I hope for. Next month will disclose if my wishes come true.

Beltrom said:
http://www.cakewalk.com/forum/tm.asp?m=214218

I did get the US version. But it seems later buyers got a severely crippled three language version (I remember reading an older thread at CW that I can't find with some upset buyers). I'm one of those strange people who do use the manual and even read it at times. So for me a crippled manual would be a real drag.

Hmmm... I've bought Cakewalk software for a loooong time now, and I've never seen a "cut-down" manual before. But maybe that's because Norway has that "special deal" directly with Cakewalk.

Let's find out where the 3-language abridged manuals come from.

I also got the 644 page American one preordering from Edirol Europe (UK) last year. And this year I have preordered from Etcetera, because they charge UK sales tax of 17%, not Scandinavian 25% like Edirol does.

But who got the "Euro version" of the manual. Would that be people buying from non-English speaking countries? Or are there exceptions refuting that hypothesis?

It could be a France and Germany language problem... You know, they refuse to learn english. And I'm not kidding.

Je n'ai pas compris ce que vous avez ecrit Moskus, voulez vous faire une traduction, s.v.p.?

Das habe ich gar nicht verstanden. Warum sind nicht alle Manuale in Deutsch geschriben. Die Software ist ja am meisten Deutsch wie Cubase, nicht war?

tombuur said:
Warum sind nicht alle Manuale in Deutsch geschriben?
Hvorfor ikke ta det beste språket med en gang: norsk?
:D

I know a little German... French is too hard.

moskus said:
Hvorfor ikke ta det beste språket med en gang: norsk?
:D

God idè. Så kan vi spare korrekturlæsning. På skrift ligner norsk bare dansk, skrevet af et barn, som ikke kan stave.

(Translation: Moskus suggests Norwegian for the next Sonar manual. My reply: Good Idea. Then we can skip proof reading. In writing Norwegian looks like Danish written by a child who can't spell)

Yeah, reading Danish is like reading the writings of my 5 year old nephew... ;)

tombuur said:
Let's find out where the 3-language abridged manuals come from.

I also got the 644 page American one preordering from Edirol Europe (UK) last year. And this year I have preordered from Etcetera, because they charge UK sales tax of 17%, not Scandinavian 25% like Edirol does.

But who got the "Euro version" of the manual. Would that be people buying from non-English speaking countries? Or are there exceptions refuting that hypothesis?

There where even some upset englishman at the Cakewalk site. I think it was more of a timing thing. They started shipping the euro version later. But I hoped the complaints in the Sonar forum would make them think twice.

We already have a Scandinavian Esperanto. It's called Islandic. Closed thing you can come to the old viking language.

I'm going to upgrade, but not right away. I am not going to wait for a long time like I did moving from S2.2 to SP3.1.1. I just bought Sonar 3, still getting used to it. I'm addicted to Sonar upgrades and I know it. I am just delaying the inevitable. I am thinking I will want to put it on a new system...

vicevursa said:
I'm going to upgrade, but not right away. I am not going to wait for a long time like I did moving from S2.2 to SP3.1.1. I just bought Sonar 3, still getting used to it. I'm addicted to Sonar upgrades and I know it. I am just delaying the inevitable. I am thinking I will want to put it on a new system...

Sounds a lot like me. :rolleyes:
At this point, I'm thinking 'Stereo comps/eq's, the Track Nudger, and Track Folders might alone be worth it. And full Plug delay compensation -was that supposed to have happened in S3? I've had what seems to be some hit and miss results in that department and I'd like very much not to be second guessing on something like that.
Wayne

I already ordered Sonar 4, and then I wonder why I react this way when it comes to software. When it's hardware, particularly live equipment, I am quite happy to go on working with older versions. In fact I just recently bought a Dynacord powermate 1000 at 2/3 price, because they were selling the last of the old model. That would be like buying Sonar 3 at 2/3 price right now.

Don't know. Maybe part of the difference is you can sell hardware again. That doesn't normally work with software.

I'm fumbling along with 2.2XL, and had no particular thoughts of ugrading at all. But... the inclusion of a tool similar to PT Beat Detective has piqued my interest.

Hmmmm...I'm sure I'll upgrade eventually. Just because it seems to hurt less to keep up with the upgrades then get a couple behind and then catch up.

I donno...

Sonar 3 is already a nicely packaged product. As I read the comparisons between ver. 3 and 4. I'm thinking that the upgrade price is very high when you compare the features tossed in.

Not really interested in surround sound. A couple of the bundled items sound tasty but again, it sounds to me like a couple of added features and a few more bundled "freebies". It's like when CPU speeds increase by a couple hundred megahertz...so much hype, so much cost for the latest and greatest but the improvement may be difficult to realize in the real world.

I for one am a satisfied customer and I'll probably wait for version 5 to be rumored for release then, I might jump on a copy of version 4. I would probobly spend the money on something like a set of new headsets or a shuttle pro controller.

My 2 cents worth.

Afraid I'm still stuck on Sonar2.
There are things in Sonar3/4 I'd like, but only about 10% added in each update has been of interest to me. Like many others, I've purchased other apps/plugins to fill the gaps. Eventually, they'll probably all be bundled in Sonar - great for newbies, but so much of it can just be redundant clutter.

Surround? Got that in Adobe Audition.
Working to video? Ditto.
Good dithering? (well, I think its ok). Ditto.

No, my money will go elsewhere for time being. The one piece of software I am waiting for is Melodyne Uno - if it ever appears!

Back