Sonar 3

MadStrum!

From reading these posts I've got the impression that it's quite buggy and not really worth the $$...
Still wondering whether to get it...

Pier.

MadStrum! said:
From reading these posts I've got the impression that it's quite buggy and not really worth the $$...
Still wondering whether to get it...

Pier.

Exactly which bugs. I have been using it every day and night for the last week and I have had ZERO problems, hickups or burps and Sonar 3 is running great too ;)

I find the plugins to be pretty good. I am enjoying the Ultrafunk compressor quite a bit. I had very compelling reasons to upgrade so the cost was a bargain for what I gained. Sonar is all grown up now, it transmits smpte. Whoo hooo!

Cheers, RD

I've had exactly one crash in Sonar after a week of continuous use, and it was actually a problem with Vsampler and importing one of my Akai CDs. Sonar 3 has shown impressive stability. Honestly, very refreshing to go home to Sonar 3 after working with DP3 on the Mac...

Hey if you are referring to anything that I have posted, don't worry - I really am splitting hairs. I find it much more stable and efficient than 2.2 XL.

All the other comments concerning the quality of the included plugins in the PE version are correct IMHO and I would not hesitate to recommend the upgrade to you if you are in a position to afford it.

Either way - it's supposed to be about the music. A great song will still sound great irregardless of which version it is recorded in.........

:) Q.

I just need all the help I can get :)

Qwerty said:
Either way - it's supposed to be about the music. A great song will still sound great irregardless of which version it is recorded in
Very true!

BUT there's always that "How do you get there". Efficiency, you know. ;)

moskus said:
Wow! Can I quote you on that? :)

Yes you can. I've worked with DP3 for about 2.5 years continuously on both 9 and X, and as much as I like its interface, I can't STAND its instability.

Hmmm... I always thougth that DP was supposed to be extremely stable, it's a Mac program and all. Ha, I'm gonna mail this to a mac-friend of mine... :D

I heard that DR008 , which i use for almost every song...doesn't work well/does not work at all in Sonar 3... can anyone confirm this?

Thanks for all the feedback.

Pier.

MadStrum! said:
I heard that DR008 , which i use for almost every song...doesn't work well/does not work at all in Sonar 3...
Where do you hear these roumors?

DR-008 is a DXi and will certainly work in a DXi hosting app such as Sonar 3. The only thing is that it's not bundled with Sonar 3 as it's with Sonar 2 XL... ;)

Hmmm... looks like i'll get it when my cash flow comes in!
There's a load of crap on the cakewalk website, can you guys tell me what r those new stuff that really matter, or r really cool?

Pier.

I even loaded it on my old 300 mhz at work learning laptop with 64 meg ram XP and it has performed well. Even Better than 2.2 did. I have not found any bugs YET! But I have not spent much time using it either.

Peace
Bill

Qwerty said:
Hey if you are referring to anything that I have posted, don't worry - I really am splitting hairs. I find it much more stable and efficient than 2.2 XL.

All the other comments concerning the quality of the included plugins in the PE version are correct IMHO and I would not hesitate to recommend the upgrade to you if you are in a position to afford it. [/i]

Sonar 3 has a much improved/overhauled audio handling system. It is suppoed to be extremely efficient and stable due to this improved audio structure.

tcdave

wfaraoni said:
I even loaded it on my old 300 mhz at work learning laptop with 64 meg ram XP and it has performed well. Even Better than 2.2 did. I have not found any bugs YET! But I have not spent much time using it either.
And that system is stable?

I have a 300 MHz laptop I don't know what to do with. Thanks for the tip! WinXP, here it comes... :D

moskus said:
And that system is stable?

I have a 300 MHz laptop I don't know what to do with. Thanks for the tip! WinXP, here it comes... :D

Its an amd k62 Pretty stable but you cant load some CPU intensive fx for real time. Also I must apply all fx to the tracks permanently but the up side is that when I find the time I do get to use the Full program and learn at work :)

I have an unusual laptop and the documentation says it runs faster with 64m ram than 128.???/

peace
Bill

Ok... one more question...
DR-008 is gone right, if you didn't have 2.2xl....
what replaces it? There has to be a drum machine thing of some sort rite?

Pier.

Only really Vsampler DXi (Sonar 3 PE) which can play
AIF samples
AKAI (AKAI S1000/S3000 CD and AKAI S5000/S6000 .AKP)
Downloadable Sounds (.DLS)
Gigasampler (.GIG)
HALion (.FXB, .FXP)
LM4 Drumkits
SoundFonts (.SF2)
WAV samples

And is supplied with 2 CDs worth of samples.

wfaraoni said:
I have an unusual laptop and the documentation says it runs faster with 64m ram than 128.???/
Okay, I'll install WinXP on my 300 MHz laptop now. I always thought that it would run best on Win98SE, so I didn't try it when I formated it this summer.

Back