Something Completely Different

Thanks bud. Gotta figure that left guit out. Tried EQ, tried using a HPF, nothing seems to work. Maybe I'll duplicate the R channel chain since it works better. Ran the left through an amp sim, and gain compressor instead of just the regular compression on the right. Nothing like straight up miked acoustic with minimum compression, I guess.

There's a huge distance between the kick and the vocal that's weird. The kick's all dry and right in your face and the vocal's way further back. It's like I'm sitting right in front of the kick and the singer's twenty feet over there somewhere. It's not just a disjunct between the kick and the vocal, it's also a disconnect between the kick and the snare. It's like they're not part of the same kit.

Hey broken_H...
Great lyric to this tune. Did you write it?. It's a great song, with a good chord progression and melody. The only nit I can pick is that it has kind of a rigid feel to it. I can't put my finger on why though. I will listen a few more times.

There's a huge distance between the kick and the vocal that's weird. The kick's all dry and right in your face and the vocal's way further back. It's like I'm sitting right in front of the kick and the singer's twenty feet over there somewhere. It's not just a disjunct between the kick and the vocal, it's also a disconnect between the kick and the snare. It's like they're not part of the same kit.

I'll have a look at the reverb. Thought I had some on the kick, but maybe it got bypassed...maybe just dry up the vocal a bit.

Hey broken_H...
Great lyric to this tune. Did you write it?. It's a great song, with a good chord progression and melody. The only nit I can pick is that it has kind of a rigid feel to it. I can't put my finger on why though. I will listen a few more times.

Thanks for the listen, and the compliments. Yes, I wrote the lyric to this one. This kind of song deserves a little looser play, and getting a good feel on 3/4 country to a click track is difficult. Probably have to go back and re-do the drums manual instead of program. Keep listening though, you may find something else...

Old school hymnal sound! Pretty good stuff there! As far as mix, yeah that left guitar I hear more pick attack than anything. And the right guitar sounds really thin, but you can hear it. The vocals sound good on the delivery but I think the sound a little far back and are getting swallowed by everything else. Its a good tune though, and you should be proud.....just a little tweaking here and there. Good job!

Bruthish! Thanks for the listen. Thanks for the compliments. A guy could get used to those kind of things :)
Not being a guitarist at all, I used to depend on my brother for guitar tracks (as well as my leaning to play), but now I live 3100 miles away and his life got more complicated. So I do the best I can. I think I may retrack both those parts with a lot more practice, but that may be later. Used finger nail on the right guitar, so there's no bright pick slaps, but it is thin and weak. Used pick on the Left guitar and it comes through nicely, but wacked by my poor pick technique. Maybe I'll try a thicker pick. Been wondering about that.

If your getting a lot of pick sound more than the instrument itself, then either use a LIGHTER pick or move the mic. Its not easy recording an acoustic, it takes time, practice, and experimenting. I am just learning myself as I used to plug mine in directly and now when I listen back at old recordings I am like "What was I thinking??". Mic'ing it definitely sounds better. I have found that I have gotten a pretty good sound by placing my Large Diaphragm mic about a foot away pointed at the 14th fret. Some of the veterans may have other insights into it.

What I need is better pick technique, or someone to play the gitter parts for me or a lot more practice. I really miss my brother sometimes. He could get me two out of three and push me toward the third. :)

There's a guitar on the left? ;) I can hear the pick sound at times, but that's about it. How did you mic the guitars? Might look at changing that up. THe kick is very 'in your face' as already mentioned.

There's a guitar on the left? ;) I can hear the pick sound at times, but that's about it. How did you mic the guitars? Might look at changing that up. THe kick is very 'in your face' as already mentioned.

:laughings: You'd think with all the guitar retracking I do, I'd get better at playing...

I didn't notice the thing about the kick sounding somewhat disconnected until I read everyone's comments about it. Then I focused on the kick and I have to agree. Like the piano a lot. I think you should yell "JESUS!" at the end as the music fades... in case the listener isn't sure who you're talking about!

Thanks for the listen, NTB. You know it's funny, I almost always use the name, Jesus in my own lyrics. How did this one slip by me? When I use other peoples' lyrics, I usually do what they want. Well, like the OP says...something completely different!

Okay, updated the track. Few tweaks to reverb and such. Funny, the kick was on the drum bus plate just like the rest of the drums, so I sent a little extra on the kick itself before, so it's DOUBLE plate reverbed, but just a little. A wee little. Tweaked some EQ on the piano to shelve off some of the bass that was interfering with the actual bass in parts of the song. Tweaked the EQ on the accordian to make it more prominant without raising volume.
Anyway, I redid the left guitar and that's the thing I'm most interested in hearing about. I know I'm still a deuce, but at least it's not all pick noise now...

It sounds pretty cool dawg. I think most the other commenters already said what I was going to say :D

The vocal is getting buried by mostly lo-mids If you scooped out freqs in the area of 300hz on the guitar and bass tracks the vocals will be much clearer. While scooping 300hz on the bass track you could also boost at around 700-900 and then re-mix on the faders to further isolate the bass.

It sounds pretty cool dawg. I think most the other commenters already said what I was going to say :D

Thanks for the listen man. Good to get some positive feedback. At least you didn't have to listen to it when the left guitar was a bunch of pick clicks :laughings:

The vocal is getting buried by mostly lo-mids If you scooped out freqs in the area of 300hz on the guitar and bass tracks the vocals will be much clearer. While scooping 300hz on the bass track you could also boost at around 700-900 and then re-mix on the faders to further isolate the bass.

I'm going to try to do that step by step on my next weekend. (next Tuesday/Wednesday). I appreciate specific detail like that. I've boosted 1k on the vocals to bring them forward a bit, but you're right about the lower mud. I only started noticing it when I reposted after the re-track of the left guitar. But I'm going to see if it comes out better your way.

Back