someone save me from giving up

Remove the balanced connection going from the VTB1 to the MUTO.

Get a 1/4" to 1/4" cable and connect it from the VTB1 Line Out to one of the 8 MOTU Bal/UnBal inputs.

If the VTB1 Line Out is balanced...use a TRS-TRS 1/4" which is also a balanced caable...if not, use a TS-TS 1/4" cable (aka - typical instrument/guitar cable).

You have the VTB1 Line Output plugged into one of the MOTU Outputs...it needs to go into a MOTU Input... :) and that will be one of the 8 Analog MOTU selections in Sonar (whichever one you plug into)

Actually...you CAN also go from the VTB1 Balanced output (I assume the Line Out is unbalanced then)...but just connect it to one of the 8 MOTU Inputs....rahter than how you had it going to the front of the MOTU, which is another preamp stage that you don't want to use.

If you use the VTB1 Balanced Output...you will need an XLR to TRS 1/4" to keep things balanced, otherwise just use an unbalanced TS to TS 1/4".

The MUTO adjusts itself to whatever type you connect, as it accepts both balanced and unbalanced.

ok where getting somewhere here lol i see the mic level now its hooked up right one problem i when i arm the track and record it wont record??

im not sure sorry guys my father hooked this up for me i guess he forgot how to do things which would be a better thing to use the vtb1 or the motu ahh im as confused as you guys. jeese im sittin here waiting for a solution but its so hard to do this over post you know

Right..you can skip the VTB1 altogether...I just assumed you wanted to use it because you preferred it for a preamp over what is in the MOTU.
But the way you have it now is fine...it will work..and then you can try it without the VTB1 and compare which sounds better to you.
Also...the VTB1 has impedance settings on the back...so depending on the mic, one will sound better than the other setting...try both....you won't hurt anything.

AFA not recording...just poke around Sonar...it's some simple but stupid setting...you should be able to find it. It took me awhile the first time I configured my DAW! :)

it sound so much better im using the motu i figure the motu would sound better since it costs more then this 120 dollar pre amp but im going to try the pre too. i cant thank you guys enough

Someone correct me if im wrong but if your hearing it clean through the monitors while you are talking into the mic the signal has not yet hit the A/D converter?

Doubtful that it wouldn't have hit the converters before the monitor.

When you hear the monitors in real time, you have the addition of your own voice bouncing around inside your own head. There is no way to not hear that in addition to the monitors. Ditto for anything else that makes a sound you can hear without amplification.

Put a very long cord on a mic and hand it to somebody. Have them walk 2 or 3 rooms away where you can't hear their voice while you sit at the monitor. Then monitor them in real time and compare it with a playback monitor. Chances are the difference will be gone.

As for stuff sounding muddy: Amateur room treatment can do that. I know you put a lot of time into it, but try recording a bit in an untreated room. My guess is that the mud will vanish. Not to say that you shouldn't treat rooms. You really need to. But that is a task where I would call in a professional.

So I tried the vocals wi motu directly connected to my rode mic, now I wanna try it with my pre am connected into my line in on my motu but knt find the settings I'm sure I will but should I waste the time trying like will the studio project vtb1 series sound better then the motus

Back