someone save me from giving up

fivestarpacheco

ok so the past few months have been really frustrating, i built 2 gobos and tons of bass traps of course made of oc703 lots of work. ive spent alot of time and money into this because i want to be serious with my music. i have sonar 8 and i am learning the program very well but wth!! i try to record one of my female singers and it sounds muddy i record my voice and it sounds muddy or kind of like i roll up some news paper into a tube and talk into it. i just dont get it i have spent hours on you tube trying to configure my settings in the audio section of my daw and i have set them up to my interface. im thinking its the daw because when i speak into the microphone it comes out the monitor clear but when i record it and play it back that's when i get the sound im describing. i feel like im missing a setting or something heres what i have hooked up also u can see where i have my gain and my trim set. when i record the vocals are kind of low too i tried messing with the gain and trim but then it will distort. ps im using a rhode nt1-A could it be the mic?.(also i do not have the microphone backwards..and on the mic preamp 48volt phantom power is on)

5pfxg9.jpg

8vntow.jpg

Someone correct me if im wrong but if your hearing it clean through the monitors while you are talking into the mic the signal has not yet hit the A/D converter? A bad A/D converter is what sounds like to me is your problem.

no i havent tried anything into that input whould i be able to see i something is wrong by doing this? so if it does sound muddy the problem could be a busted pre amp?

Don't give up yet.

The Rode mic is unlikely to be muddy sounding unless it is defective. If people complain about Rodes, it is usually that they are too bright if anything.

What kind of interface are you using and how is it hooked up? Are the feeds for the monitors coming directly from the interface or from a preamp? How is your preamp hooked up in this scenario?

With a little more information maybe someone can help.

Yeah I guess I should of asked how everything was hooked up. Im assuming you have the monitors coming directly from the interfaces outs.

My understanding is that you can talk into the mic and hear it clear because it has not hit the A/D converter yet making it digital to your computer. So the signal has not been processed. When you send the signal through the converter to your comp that is when the signal becomes distorted.

Ok before you do anything else please tell us exactly how you have everything connected and routed! It may be a simple connection issue.

ok everyone please stay postedby 1030 ill have picks of how i have everything connected also with a detailed description thank you i appreciate all of your help

IDK, from the pic I see you've got your input gain on 25. Try turning it up then adjust output down. Also, where does the output of the VTB-1 plug into?? If it's the XLR cable going into channel 1, then swap that out for a 1/4". You don't want to use the Mic pre of the VTB AND the mic pre of the interface. So come out of the VTB with a line level signal and into the interface.

ok pics and details!

sorry i couldn't put the pics up last night. but here are the stuff you guys asked for ok im going to go as much into detail as i can

ok so in this pic you see 2 wires connected all the way to the right on my motu 828 mk2 those are the main outs (my monitors left and right).
2uo6mvm.jpg

in this pick you can see my pre amp set up
circled in YELLOW you see 'balanced out" that cable is hooked up to my motu 828 mk2 mic/guitar in 1. Then you see circled in BLUE "Mic in" That cable is going into my microphone. now mind you these to cables are different i only had one so i took the one i had and used that as my balanced out cable the brand is Quantum audio designs q-3100 series The the mic cable going into my mic is the one i bought the brand is Live Wire advantage mic cable
2hnb11k.jpg

this is the other side of my interface where my fire wire is hooked up to not to much action on this side
4h32j9.jpg

This is my mic guitar in where i have my quantum q-3100 series cable running into my "balanced out" port in my pre amp
apbf54.jpg

here are all my audio settings i have in sonar
(General Tab)
156734o.jpg

(Advance Tab)
64j9jn.jpg

(Drivers Tab)
2gwt72e.jpg

And this is how i arm my tracks (ps. i also click on the "R" and the input echo then press record thats my complete set up
ljref.jpg

i hope this is detailed enough and you guys can help me thank you.

Start by removing the Balanced out going from the preamp to the MOTU....and then take the Line Out from the preamp and stick it into one of the 8 MOTU inputs.
Which is also what Chili is telling you to do....

Do that and then just set your mic/pre levels via the preamp...the MOTU will get the right Line-level signal without you needing to do anything more at the MOTU or at the Sonar soft interface.

(1)Switch your preamp LEDs to Input monitoring...(2)then set the preamp gain at a strong but not overloaded level...(3)then switch the LEDs to output monitoring and (4)use the Output Level on the preamp to set a strong but nor overloaded signal...you may want to set that preamp Output Level while watching the monitoring on the MOTU also, but if you don't overload at the preamp...the MOTU will be fine.

You should not have to touch any level settings in Sonar (or the MOTU for that matter)....everything should be set at the preamp Input & Output.

one problem what do you mean by taking the line out and sticking into one of the 8 ports i dont have any wire connected to th preamp do i need to buy one?

ok i did what you said only problem is i cant hear the mic at all?(i cannot see the mic levels even on the interface?)how would i arm it do i have to change my settings n sonar now?
2lvi6nc.jpg

Back