Software Pirating is compeletly out of hand

Software companies don't actually lose money from software pirates. Because pirated software is just digital copies transferred over the internet.

It's not like walking into a store and stealing a CD off the shelf, which actually costs money to duplicate/package, etc.

They also don't lose potential income, because these "poor" pirates wouldn't buy the software anyway. Apparently they can't afford it. :rolleyes:

For software that's $20-$100 or more, that's when pirating takes effect on potential income. For software $500+, most people who pirate can't afford it anyway.

Either way, stealing is wrong and I don't condone it. The last shareware I coded and released didn't do well because of pirating.

So I just stick to coding freeware and using a donation page and/or website ads to get some extra cash for my gear addiction.

Also, you can try and justify steeling all you want, but it's exactly that, stealing. And that still makes you a shitty person. With no ethics.

Seriously, to all you people out there who use pirated software. You should really, really check out Reaper (http://www.reaper.fm) for a multi-track recording program.

It's free for 30 days, and then it's $30 if you like it, and trust me, you'll like it.

I've used Cubase a lot, and Reaper is easily on par, and much more intuitive, in my opinion.

Not everything that is inexpensive is "cheap".

mrT said:
^that was attatched to some anonymous rep I got. So you better watch yourself around here Tragik, there are some bitch snitches hanging around.

yeah i got an anon too about not paying tax..

report me. go ahead, ill pay my $90 in back taxes lol..

BJW said:
Seriously, to all you people out there who use pirated software. You should really, really check out Reaper (http://www.reaper.fm) for a multi-track recording program.

It's free for 30 days, and then it's $30 if you like it, and trust me, you'll like it.

I've used Cubase a lot, and Reaper is easily on par, and much more intuitive, in my opinion.

Not everything that is inexpensive is "cheap".

I've downloaded it and will definitely try it out some more. It wasn't that intuitive to me. I will go through one of the tutorials when I have time and when I fix my computer (got hosed up during my botched Linux install :) ).

Cheap, if it translates to simple, can be good. I hate spending a million years tweaking things to death and sorting through a million options I'll never use. Which is why I'm pretty happy with Cubase SE and could probably get by with far less.

CP

P.S. Cool - I got anonymous negative rep in which I was called an idiot. I guess they didn't like me not using warez anymore.

Just a thought ....

..... whats the average age of the posters in this thread ?

From my experience in my chosen trade ( the computer industry ) most software pirates or people that willingly use and copy software without paying for the licenses are under 25 years old.

Unfortunately it has become an expectation that "because it can be copied it's ok to do so" , this has been more prevelent since CD writers and other means of duplication have been available cheaply to the average consumer.

With the release of Windows Vista next spring alot of this piracy will be coming to a close because there are mechanisms in place to prevent it with coalitions and partnerships between Microsoft and third party software vendors.

Not to mention that your ISP could soon be charging you per MP3 for each free song you download ( yes it's very easy for your ISP to minitor exactly what your downloading ). This charge will end up on your monthly internet bill :) . Personally i think it's a great idea as much of this cash is planned to go directly to artists ( or that's the intention ).

I still struggle to understand how anyone can justify the theft of another individual's or companies intellectual property ( software piracy for the uninitiated here ). It's like someone breaking in your house and "borrowing your wife or girlfriend" for the night because they are too socially inept to attract their own , or too poor to pay for a hooker. :eek:

cortexx said:
It's like someone breaking in your house and "borrowing your wife or girlfriend" for the night because they are too socially inept to attract their own , or too poor to pay for a hooker. :eek:
Yes and following the pirates' logic, it doesn't matter, because you won't notice it's gone. :rolleyes:

cortexx said:
It's like someone breaking in your house and "borrowing your wife or girlfriend" for the night because they are too socially inept to attract their own , or too poor to pay for a hooker. :eek:

I'm not pro-piracy, but just for the sake of clarity...

Actually, no, they're saying that it's ok to take a strand of your wife's hair, clone her, and keep that clone as their own wife. Because they can't afford a wife. And why shouldn't they have a wife as good as yours just because they're poor?

That's why I shove a dongle up my wife's butt. Sure it's uncomfortable for her, but damned if someone's going to copy her after I paid for her with my own hard earned money.

Reactions: mrT
warrengtype said:
...Sure it's uncomfortable for her, but damned if someone's going to copy her after I paid for her with my own hard earned money.

And will continue to pay for for a very long time.......... ;)

warrengtype said:
I'm not pro-piracy, but just for the sake of clarity...

Actually, no, they're saying that it's ok to take a strand of your wife's hair, clone her, and keep that clone as their own wife. Because they can't afford a wife. And why shouldn't they have a wife as good as yours just because they're poor?

That's why I shove a dongle up my wife's butt. Sure it's uncomfortable for her, but damned if someone's going to copy her after I paid for her with my own hard earned money.

I didnt say poor i said socially inept , i mean there are plenty of rich socialy inept people around , president bush for example or Michael Jackson :D

And i'm pretty sure you can get a hooker in Toronto for $50 in canadian tire money or $40 in walmart gift vouchers . even the most destitute and seasoned software pirate can afford one of those :D

Amazing how people have no sense of right or wrong when it comes to software. Software companies may not actually LOSE money when someone pirates their program, but they are losing the right to make money and be compensated for their work. This would be like someone going in and changing the name on your time card to take your check from your work. You may not have LOST something, because you did not have it yet, but you lost the ability to collect that money. I am pretty sure that would piss you off. The bottom line is that analogy may not be the best but so what.... I should not need an analogy to tell someone that p[iracy is wrong. Hell, I should not even need to tell you.

THERE IS NO JUSTIFICATION FOR STEALING SOFTWARE. IT IS WRONG, ALWAYS HAS BEEN, ALWAYS WILL BE.

For MrT, NOTHING you have said in defense of software piracy has been releveant or realistic. If everybody downloaded and stole the software then no software companies would be left. Every time that you download software you are costing me, the company and its employees money. If you can't see that fine. If you want to learn how this chain works, feel free to come take something of mine. You will quickly learn how to not take things that are not yours.

Now as far as me downloading music like you mentioned earlier MrT.... You don't know me so quit talking shit. I do not download music. I don't buy music either. All of my CD's are GIVEN to me by artists, promoters, labels, distributors etc... Quit talking out your ass and start learning to be a person before you continue attempting to be a musician or an engineer.

xstatic said:
For MrT... If everybody downloaded and stole the software then no software companies would be left.

no if. Everyone does and they still do.

xstatic said:
Every time that you download software you ... blah... If you want to learn how this chain works, ... blah... blah... yours.

Now as far as me... blah MrT.... You don't know blah. I do not download music. I like balls... I don't blah either. Blah... are GIVEN blah etc... Blah out your ass... blah... before you blah... a musician or an engineer.

:p

Listen up, users of legit software: You're never gonna change the minds of people like mrT. They will always have a rationalization for their THEFT. To them is really is just BLAH BLAH BLAH. So just ignore them and continue to be guided by your own good morals.

And I have to say, after trying out Reaper today, I think you little whiney bitches that complain about good free or cheap software not being out there are completely full of shit. Sure, Reaper won't replace my legally purchased version of Vegas as my main multitracking software, but it's sure gonna get a workout.

I didn't know I was in church... but there seems to be a good amount of preaching going on.

MadAudio said:
Listen up, users of legit software: You're never gonna change the minds of people like mrT. They will always have a rationalization for their THEFT. To them is really is just BLAH BLAH BLAH. So just ignore them and continue to be guided by your own good morals.

There is one upside: Very few using pirated software will be able to use it properly. Cuts down on the competition and makes your recordings sound even better next to theirs.

DavidK said:
Very few using pirated software will be able to use it properly.

SO not only are you moraly superior to those who use cracked software but you are also statistically known to be more proficient at your craft for having paid the money for the it?

This really does sound like church...

mrT said:
SO not only are you moraly superior to those who use cracked software but you are also statistically known to be more proficient at your craft for having paid the money for the it?

This really does sound like church...
If you had bought DavidK's awesome CD like I did, you'd know he's not talking shit. His home-recorded disc is excellent both in content and production.

Oh wait, you'd rather download it for free anyway, right? :rolleyes:

And I'm not a religious person by any means, but I think you really need some spiritual guidance. And you're not going to get it as long as you continue to play the "good guy against the wicked system" card. You're just tossing paper tigers up in here AFAIC. Get a clue.

Welcome to my ignore list, thief. Bye-bye........

Back