Software Pirating is compeletly out of hand

I've spent about a $1000 on my studio over the past year or two and if I would have spent that on software I'd have no hardware ,my producer wouldn't have anything to make beats with and I wouldn't have learned how to propperly record and edit at the level I think is necessary.

I'm sorry you think I should let my work not exist because you were the one who actually baught your stuff. But I can't do it any other way. And don't talk about stealing a bunch of code like I'm actually taking something from someone. Nobody is missing what I pirated. I didn't go into someones house and take theirs. I took a copy that someone offered me for no charge. so if your friend found a way to copy his Midas and said he'd give you one you'd say "no man, I wanna support them cause they put all that work into making it." I highly doubt you would. BUT the real point is I never would have baught the stuff anyhow. Nobody lost money on me. Infact, it actually let me spend MORE money on hardware. So my non-support of the software companies is really helping the hardware manufacturers.

I pirate software because there is no way for me to do what I do without it. If I hit it big I will go legit. Until then I slap your face

watermelon said:
Err freeware?

Cause everyone knows that freeware is awesome... That's why all the "pro's" use it.:rolleyes:

I mean no disrespect to anyone with my posts but let's be real. Software piracy happens for a reason. It's easy and nobody really cares enough to stop it.

mrT said:
Cause everyone knows that freeware is awesome... That's why all the "pro's" use it.:rolleyes:
The "pro's" can afford to use whatever software they want. You obviously can't, so why do you think you are entitled to it?

watermelon said:
The "pro's" can afford to use whatever software they want. You obviously can't, so why do you think you are entitled to it?

I don't think I'm entitled to it. I just don't give a shit about "infringing" upon the copyrights of someone. I mean really. You think I get sample clearances for the songs I have posted too?

mrT said:
Let's put it this way. I worked for what I had and I'm not saying he didn't. But How can you dop 17G's on recording equiptment at the age of 16 and not be at the very least well off?

and where I live most jobs that even adults have start at minumum wage and don't go much higher than $15/hr for a High school diploma. Unless you go into construction or something similarly labor intensive.

who said it was 17Gs all at once? He made it sound like he's aquired it over the past 3 years. That's about 5-6 grand a year. And even THAT is extrememly doable by a kid his age working 25 hours a week, 52 weeks a year, at even $5 an hour. He's well off because he works for it. He just doesn't have the expenses that people over the age of 18 have. Hell, I still wish at times I could live at home again and didn't have any expenses/loans....THAT would be great :D

There are plenty jobs out there for teens that pay above minimum wage. If you are in a major city/suburb, most jobs will start at $7 (at least around me) and go up from there. Again, like I said, my sister worked the front desk of an optomitrist's office and was making more than I ever did at 18. And she still complained about school expenses, car payments/insurance, etc.

Mental I agree with you on the fact that pirating is bad and i...got into trouble last time i talked about it on here...so we'll call it.."cuddling"

theres nothin wrong with cuddling..especially when someone needs to be cuddled with..then thats when cuddling is acceptable..get it ?

haha just fuckin with you....

i agree pirating is bad...but the funny thing is your all fuckin making way more money then i am...someone said 9/hr someone else said 12/hr someone said 7.50/hr that is grip to me because i am makin 6.75 an hour and have to take bus/ or bum rides from friends and family...i can seeworking hard but when working hard gets you about 250 a paycheck and 500 a month...not taxed either even though its "stealin" its seems less wrong then more wrong..??

im not tryin to say its good im just saying you have to understand where people who get these programs for free are coming from...and im talkin about people that cant afford shit...

2 cents

C jOker said:
Mental I agree with you on the fact that pirating is bad and i...got into trouble last time i talked about it on here...so we'll call it.."cuddling"

theres nothin wrong with cuddling..especially when someone needs to be cuddled with..then thats when cuddling is acceptable..get it ?

haha just fuckin with you....

i agree pirating is bad...but the funny thing is your all fuckin making way more money then i am...someone said 9/hr someone else said 12/hr someone said 7.50/hr that is grip to me because i am makin 6.75 an hour and have to take bus/ or bum rides from friends and family...i can seeworking hard but when working hard gets you about 250 a paycheck and 500 a month...not taxed either even though its "stealin" its seems less wrong then more wrong..??

im not tryin to say its good im just saying you have to understand where people who get these programs for free are coming from...and im talkin about people that cant afford shit...

2 cents
If you can afford an internet connection, you can afford freeware

mrT said:
I don't think I'm entitled to it. I just don't give a shit about "infringing" upon the copyrights of someone. I mean really. You think I get sample clearances for the songs I have posted too?

well, then don't complain if someone steals one of your songs and calls it theirs...or uses it on a movie they're making without giving you credit or paying for it.

pirating ends up hurting more than just the people who record the songs or program the software. It comes back around to the consumers when companies end up charging more money for less, come out with iLok keys to piss even legit owners off, and don't turn enough profit on their software to create newer versions. There is plenty of freeware out there that people like. Many people here love Reaper, and it's cheap as hell. Same with N-Track.

Let me rephrase Watermelon's statement:

The "pro's" can afford to use whatever software they want. You obviously are not a pro, so why do you think you are entitled to it?

C jOker said:

but why can't you afford the recording gear? You have other expenses I'm guessing...correct? The guy above doesn't. So he can afford to do so.
I make enough at the studio I work at. For someone my age, with no kids or a house payment, it's a blessing. But I also have a shit load of other expenses. I wish I could (and would) buy every new piece of gear that came out....but I can't. I have other things to worry about.

Don't say it's unbelieveable that he can afford that much equipment or that he's a rich kid because he's making more than you did at that age....he's just in a different boat than some of the rest of us are. As are a lot of other people in America. Some people work at McD's....other people work as a waiter at a high class country club. Both jobs you can get at the age of 16.

bennychico11 said:
since when did this thread become a post about how much everyone makes?
And do the math people...$10K a year is extremely resonable for someone who is his age.
Averaging $9/hr. and working 25 hours a week...you get about 900 a month. Or $8,100 during a 9 month school year. Add another $5,400 for the summer months....take out the taxes.....very doable. I think I made somewhere around that when I was in high school/college working at a movie theater for $7.45. Thanks to extra hours, holiday season, and a side job I did once a year that paid a grand.

If I had no expenses I'd be spending it all on audio gear then too. I don't see how that makes him a "rich" kid....it just makes him someone who works for what he has. He sounds like me, parents don't just give him money so he has to work if he wants to buy anything.

$9 an hour is pretty average for a suburb community. My 18 year old sister was making $12 an hour at a doctor's office. Waiters make that pretty easily at a decent restaurant.

Not quite. $9 an hour is not average. Trust me, I work in your average suburb community. The only way I was able to make more was to have a skill.

C jOker said:

2 cents

I understand and can relate to not having much money CJ, I've dealt with some of the same issues your talking about. But the more you make doesn't necessarily mean the more you have to spend on recreation or hobbies. We easily adapt to our income, right now I make roughly $27k a year and maybe another $2-300 a month from recording. When I look back at making less than $20k at 18 years old I had more money back then to spend then now because of the way I've adjusted my lifestyle to my income. Just we make a little more than you doesn't mean we can spend more.

bennychico11 said:
well, then don't complain if someone steals one of your songs and calls it theirs...or uses it on a movie they're making without giving you credit or paying for it.

Seeing as they would be liable for my origianl copyright infringment and their infringment of the arrangments and lyrics I find it an ironic situaion.

pirating ends up hurting more than just the people who record the songs or program the software. It comes back around to the consumers when companies end up charging more money for less, come out with iLok keys to piss even legit owners off, and don't turn enough profit on their software to create newer versions.

This is true. I won't argue it. BUT if the company can't make a profit on their product is it the consumer's fault? If you make a product that is so dependant on the EXTREME vigilance of the customer or potential customer to not easily steal it in the comfort of their own home with very little consiquence should you be coddled to? I don't think so. If this is what it takes to develope a better product then so be it. I don't think it's the government's place to protect them because they have a product that is easy to COPY. I think copyrights should only be about protecting the right of the owner to exclusive distribution rights so someone can't just take their stuff and sell it themselves. If no money is involved in the transaction it should be fair use. If someone buys it and decides to give me a copy of it why shouldn't they be allowed to? I've never liked the idea of liscencing software. But other non-audio software makers do just fine with the same amount of piracy. In the same world. Am I making Bill Gates less rich because I jacked his OS? I'm sure he'll shed a tear over it. Which consequently will be worth more than all of us.

And as far as that kid goes... I would have loved to have had that shit at 16. And I never said he didn't work hard. But he trys to downplay how much money that is. If you have that much to spend on recording equiptment you aren't hurting for money. And if you were working since you were 13 under the table my best guess is it was for a family memeber (partent maybe? maybe a relative?) obviously someone your parents (who didn't NEED you to work at 13) trusted. What you have is privilage most will never see. A little humility goes a long way. That was my only beef.

I get tired of hearing people say "well I make __ /hr so"...

I work part time, chip in with rent at home, just got my car fixed, and if I can afford to save my money to buy my shit, so can you.

I make $7.50/hr.

Not making a lot of money is no excuse to steal.

I've been using Adobe Audition 1.5 since I started and I haven't upgraded or changed software because I can't afford to.

Besides, if you work with a program long enough and learn it inside and out you can do more with it than some moron who downloads pro tools and a bunch of plugins.

If you're broke, get Reaper. It's even better than Audition and you don't have to pay anything for it. :rolleyes:

Back