So what is required in any serious guitar collection

I second the Kay vote. Actually, I think there's a boat load of cheap guitars that are unusual looking AND sounding... That's where the big variety is IMHO. And not to exspensive!

Harmony, Kent, Lotus, Kay, - more recently the Jay Turser stuff.

I picked up an old Kent at a flea market for $20. I took it apart and dumped about $75 into it (bridge, new vibrato, strings). It's a hot playing, "one of a kind" guitar.

I was walking down Beale St in Memphis and one of the coolest things I noticed was that some of the bars had a bunch of old "throw away" guitars in the window and nailed to the walls.

3D art at it's finest!

I would have to say a collection is complete with you have something rare or a signature guitar that no one else uses.

Would anyone have cared about the Fender Jagstang is Cobain didn’t play one? How about Jack White and his Sear’s guitar?

Yeah, everyone and their dog has a strat, tele, LP or double humbucker guitar in their arsenal. It’s the guitar no one has and that you can make your own that I think completes a guitar collection.

Just my opinion, and no I haven’t found one yet.

American Deluxe Strat and Tele

Rick 6 and 12 string electrics

Gibson Les Paul Standard, ES-335, L-5 and J-160E

A good Gretsch(6118, 6120 or 6121 series)

Martin HD-28

Taylor Acoustic-Electic

A nylon string classical acoustic and a Rick Turner solid body classical-electric

Guild 12 string acoustic

Fender and/or Rick Bass

Taylor acoustic bass

A Dobro, a lap steel, a dulcimer, a banjo, a uke

For the player-collector none of the above necessarily has to be "vintage" by anymeans. For me, I'd prefer they all be new or newer and I'll age and mellow through the years right along with them. And none of them has to be expensive "custom shop", "limited edition" or "signature" jobs.

Last edited:
All you need is:

1928 National Tricone roundneck
1950 Martin D-18
1956 Goldtop Les Paul
1960 Telecaster
1961 Les Paul (double-cut non-SG)
1961 ES 345 Sunburst
1962 ES 345 Cherry
1963 Epiphone Crestwood Custom
1964 Stratocaster
1982 Custom Super Strat
1991 Ramirez 1A
1992 Collings 0002-H
1999 Collings SJ

Oh wait - that's my collection!

:)

Plus a mid '60's Rick 12-String and a late 50's L-5 or Super 400 or a very early ('62-ish) single pickup Johnny Smith.

For many, an electric guitar collection is just fine. For others, just acoustics. I feel I need both in a mix of new and old plus a Weissenborn, Dobro, mandolin, mandocello, dulcimer, and various banjos. Oh yeah, and a bass or two. I sure I'm leaving something out.

And a Variax.

foo said:
All you need is:

1928 National Tricone roundneck
1950 Martin D-18
1956 Goldtop Les Paul
1960 Telecaster
1961 Les Paul (double-cut non-SG)
1961 ES 345 Sunburst
1962 ES 345 Cherry
1963 Epiphone Crestwood Custom
1964 Stratocaster
1982 Custom Super Strat
1991 Ramirez 1A
1992 Collings 0002-H
1999 Collings SJ

Oh wait - that's my collection!

:)

Plus a mid '60's Rick 12-String and a late 50's L-5 or Super 400 or a very early ('62-ish) single pickup Johnny Smith.

Braggart! :mad: ;)

It ain't braggin' if you can do it.

. . . and I used to have a Nashville ('64) but I didn't like playing it so it had to go.

Nice guitar.

I've never been inclined to double up on a guitar dedicated to slide playing or to banjo, ukelele or dulcimer. I do like the sound of a mandolin though.

I must be the only one collecting old Tiesco guitars, yeah I know they were cheap and mass produced way back in the 60s but finding one still in good shape is a treasure to me.

I think ozraves pretty much nailed it. However, I think you've got all the basics covered of electric sounds (95% of the sounds you're ever likely to actually NEED, unless you're playing a type of music that has specialized requirements - such as surf or Beatles covers) with only four guitars:
1. A humbucker equipped Gibson-style guitar (either SG or LP)
2. A strat
3. A tele
4. A semi-hollow (ES-335, 345, etc...)

After that, you would just need to add specific flavors that you are looking for.

BTW, I also think you can cover the 95% of the needs for BASS guitar tones with only four axes:
1. A Fender Jazz
2. A Fender Precision
3. A bass that does the "modern" sound, such as a MusicMan or Warwick
4. A fretless bass

After that, you would start adding stuff like a hollowbody, a Gibson Thunderbird, etc...

p.s. But of course, who wants just the axes that they actually NEED? :D

Brad

Back