So what is required in any serious guitar collection

juststartingout

What axes do you collectors/players think is needed in any good guitar collection.

In any collection I think a Les Paul and a strat are required.

For a serious collection I think you need some vintage Gibsons and Fenders.

Depends on if you're going to be playing them or just having them to look cool, then we can help you more. SG's and telecasters are also pretty famous if thats what you're going for.

I would never buy a guitar just to have it.If it does'nt serve my needs then
my money is better spent elsewhere.
I think the best collection would be to have guitars that are useful to the
style(s) you like,and that feel good in your hand,because that will inspire
you to play the best that you can.
If I recorded for a living I would have a much more versitile collection of
guitars and amps,because that would serve my customers needs,which in
turn would serve mine.

The absolute basics? A good Strat, Tele, and Les Paul. I have a lot of custom guitars as well as a couple of PRS...my custom Thorns and Gretz slay all the others playing wise. BUT...nothing else sounds exactly like a good LP or Tele or Strat...IYKWIM

Ultimate guitar collection addition...
PRS McCarty Single Cutaway Classic. Period.
I really feel for you if you havent gotten one yet, because they're discontinued for looking like Les Pauls too much... Gibson sued PRS and won, ain't that a bitch :(
I've had mine for a while now, and love it ot pieces, I'll post pics... It's silver / white engravings / designs.

I'd have to agree with SheppardB, but what the hell is the fun in a collection if you actually use them? I think when he says collection, he means all of the classics to hang on your wall :)

Graham2017 said:
Ultimate guitar collection addition...
PRS McCarty Single Cutaway Classic. Period.
I really feel for you if you havent gotten one yet, because they're discontinued for looking like Les Pauls too much... Gibson sued PRS and won, ain't that a bitch :(
I've had mine for a while now, and love it ot pieces, I'll post pics... It's silver / white engravings / designs.

I'd have to agree with SheppardB, but what the hell is the fun in a collection if you actually use them? I think when he says collection, he means all of the classics to hang on your wall :)
A guitar hanging on a wall is art.A guitar hanging from a strap around
your neck is a paint brush.Your soul is the paint.

Whatever you are into man. I mean, I would never buy a guitar just to look at it. But then again, if I got my hands on some strat played by Hendrix, or some sears guitar played by Cobain, or some bass played by Cliff Burton,.......
Well I guess there is no way I would allow my kids to even look at it.
But I would never go to an auction to by a '71 Les paul just to say I had it.....

It depends on what you are collecting for.
But sheppard says it all in his last post in this thread.

Last edited:
I like to have the basics at my disposal. One is of course the Strat sound. Three single pole pick ups with that distinctive position two and four sound. Next is the LP sound which is a large stick of wood with humbuckers on it. Darker and warmer sounding. This is anything from a LP to a PRS. An electric hollow body sound like a ES-175 to a 335 is a must have on the palette. Once these basics are covered you fill in the specialty things like electric 12 string, Coral electric sitar, stuff like that.
Now acoustics is a whole nuther subject. A Martin Dreadnaught type is an essential. Then a Grand Auditorium sized or even a Parlor for a different flavor. Then on to special sounds like 12 string, nylon string, resonator, etc.

I have had a bunch...

I finally settled on what matches my playing style which is primarily metal.. A Schecter C1 Elite and LP Mahogany both w/ EMG ZW sets and I have never been happier..

I think the answer would be different for each person..

I'm not a collector, but I do own several guitars to play (all my instruments are "working tools") - each of which I have for different reasons. The "core" of my "collection" are

Tele - for that bright "chickn pickn" style
Strat - for that cutting single coil blues sound
SG - for the fat rock & roll sound (I simply like an SG more than an LP)
Epi DOT - for that warm, sustained sound

Now, I have no doubt that a good player could get all of those sounds from one guitar and if I was inclind to , I suspect I could with some work get the sounds I need from one guitar (well, maybe two guitars - a single coil & a humbucker - or at least a guitar that had both types of pick-ups). However, part of the joy is finding another axe to add to the mix - or even the satisfaction of from time to time playing a different axe.

In a serious collection, I think that you need some different guitars. Here is my suggestion.

1. Strat style guitar -- My fave is a 1956 Strat (the original). My second fave is the original G&L George Fullerton which was the early production run with the thick V necks.

2. Gibson LP style guitar -- My own personal is an old Electra MPC. Yeah, I know I'm making you laugh.

3. Six string acoustic -- I like the Gibson J45. I like certain guitars by Collings, Taylor (612) and even Tacoma (PK30 is very nice).

4. Classic (nylon string) guitar -- I like the Hirade No. 8. You can find these used for a decent price. I also like one of the Guild Mark models a lot. (Sorry, I can't remember the model at this time.) I very rarely see these.

5. Rickenbacker.

6. Country Gentleman style guitar.

7. 12 string acoustic or electric.

8. Tele model.

9. Electric Spanish model (Gibson ES335 for example).

10. SG, PRS, or anything else that turns you on.

ozraves said:
In a serious collection, I think that you need some different guitars. Here is my suggestion.

1. Strat style guitar -- My fave is a 1956 Strat (the original). My second fave is the original G&L George Fullerton which was the early production run with the thick V necks.

2. Gibson LP style guitar -- My own personal is an old Electra MPC. Yeah, I know I'm making you laugh.

3. Six string acoustic -- I like the Gibson J45. I like certain guitars by Collings, Taylor (612) and even Tacoma (PK30 is very nice).

4. Classic (nylon string) guitar -- I like the Hirade No. 8. You can find these used for a decent price. I also like one of the Guild Mark models a lot. (Sorry, I can't remember the model at this time.) I very rarely see these.

5. Rickenbacker.

6. Country Gentleman style guitar.

7. 12 string acoustic or electric.

8. Tele model.

9. Electric Spanish model (Gibson ES335 for example).

10. SG, PRS, or anything else that turns you on.

Now I like that list. I forgot to add in the accoustics, but they are definitely needed in any collection. I don't know if the Rick is necessary, but the Tele is something I am considering. I have not found one that I like to play yet, and I won't buy something I don't play.

Here is my current collection
http://home.comcast.net/~bonrox/guitars/gut_inv.htm

The only thing that is not pictured yet, is a Schector Bass and Apmeg bass amp.

Dobro or National

I like "ozraves" list, but if you're going to be an all round guitarist there's at least one more item that's a "must have": a resonator - either Dobro or National. I've always loved that sound and I enjoy the occasional departure from traditional guitar when I can break out the Dobro and play some fun slide.

For more fun you could add a lap steel or really go for slide in a big way and get a pedal steel. (Sorry I don't know enough on those last two to recommend a brand.)

Ozraves has the best list so far.

Here's what I consider to be the "six basic food groups" of electric guitar:

Fender Stratocaster (classic neck single-coil tone + notch tones)

Fender Telecaster (classic bridge single-coil twang)

Gibson Les Paul (classic humbucker tone)

Gretsch 6120(classic hollowbody tone)

Rickenbacker (classic jangle tone)

Kramer Baretta (classic super-strat tone)

A

Back