SM58 as good for instruments as SM57?

Oh, brother. Ok. Well at 100% risk of repeating the earlier posts - the '57 is designed to not need a ball top. You try hitting an unprotected '58 with a drumstick and see the difference for yourself!!! But I know what you mean, for guitar cabs etc.

Sorry to keep this going, but follow this: A mic capsule is a transducer. A speaker is a transducer as well. So let's say you have a 12" Celestion greenback on the floor with no cabinet. Will it sound different than if it's in an open cabinet? A closed cabinet? It's the same transducer -- will it produce the same sound?

fretmeister said:
Sorry to keep this going, but follow this: A mic capsule is a transducer. A speaker is a transducer as well. So let's say you have a 12" Celestion greenback on the floor with no cabinet. Will it sound different than if it's in an open cabinet? A closed cabinet? It's the same transducer -- will it produce the same sound?

Probably not, but put in a cabinet and then test it with a grill cloth in front of it and without and tell me if you can truly discern the difference.

Blessings, Terry

Reggaesoldier said:
Ditto! sounded great man! I actually listened to the whole thing:D
Thanks again.

noisedude said:
Oh dear - unlucky! Just think how you'd have battered it if it was a topless '58!

Probably about like any other mic he may have placed there. If you can do that to a 57, you can break anything.

Blessings, Terry

noisedude said:
That's what I mean ... a topless '58 would have been murdered!

Perhaps there is some merit to removing the foam from inside the ball and then replacing the ball for use in combat situations :cool:

mshilarious said:
Perhaps there is some merit to removing the foam from inside the ball and then replacing the ball for use in combat situations :cool:

Hey, maybe that's why the 57 is prefered by most Presidents - no ball to screw off and hide stuff in.

mshilarious said:

I guess that would depend on whether or not you could actually hear the difference if you did that. My guess is that with a drummer that is hitting hard enough to do that to a 57, that little bit of foam in the ball is not doing enough to the sound to matter at all. As a matter of fact, I would be astounded if anyone could hear the difference between a 57 and a 58 when used in that setting. YMMV.

Blessings, Terry

I will break a 58 for you and some U78´s, E845´s, and BlueBottles, and post the samples, for your comparision. No thanks.

Sm57

noisedude said:
The '57 has been the Presidential microphone of choice for decades now ... god knows why ... if they want to support local industry Shure make many better mics for such an application than the '57.

A good mic for every member of the CABINET?

Paj
8^?

I once set up a single 58 in my drum room, played around with the placement, hit record and recorded a track... I later added software compression and FX with some cool Waves Renn plugins....pretty interesting results...

Back