SM58 as good for instruments as SM57?

BluesPower

Does the SM58 work as good for amplified instruments and drums as the SM57?
Is there any major sound difference in these mics?

I heard that the major difference is the metal grille, which I like better on the SM58, since it looks like a proper microphone, and is more solidly built to protect against damage from dropping it, you can also remove the grille on the SM58 for cleaning.

Also, I notice that the SM58 has a piece of sponge under the metal grille, which you can remove when you unscrew the housing. Will remiving this sponge make the mic sound less muffled and more responsive to sound?

I will appreciate any advice, since I plan on buying 2 of either microphone soon.

Last edited:
i love my SM 57's

and i'm NOT gonna replace ANY of them with a 58 !

the 58 has a little boost on the frequencies that are important for vocals,

like 3khz

and i think the 57's more have their boost somewhere in the highs,
and less bass,

in my opinion the 57's sound softer, a little mor thin, less fat for vocals,
but goddamn clear and clean....for dynamic mics that is...

so yeah, you can use a 58 for recrding a snare, but i don't do that,
cause i think the 57 are really better for DEAD instruments,
and a 58 for LIVING vocals

its all got to do with their frequency responce and stuff

but look at trent reznor of NIN, look at gwen stefani,
look at george bush at his speeches

these people use the 57 as vocal mic !

so in my opinion the 57 is WORTH ALOT MORE THAN THE 58

:confused:

The 57 and 58 use EXACTLY the same capsule.......... the ball on the 58 changes its response slightly -- take the ball end off and you've got your 57............

Call me paranoid but a 58 with the ball screwed off has a little piece of exposed foam that just makes me nervous to use on drums--sticks flying around etc. If you're thinking 57 vs. 58, I'd favor a 57 with a windscreen as a better substitute for a 58 over the 58 without the ball as a 57 substitute.

i use a 57 for my vocals (hip hop). I do alot of crazy things with my voice for my music, and Im lovin the way the 57 sounds.

Bush really uses a 57? interesting

The '57 has been the Presidential microphone of choice for decades now ... god knows why ... if they want to support local industry Shure make many better mics for such an application than the '57.

I don't think anyone is in favor of taking your mics apart before using them.........I think the bear was just telling you that the mics are the same

I have several SM58s from use with my PA system. I use them wherever a 57 would work without any problem. It is extremely difficult to tell the difference between having the ball off or on. I really think the only place you might notice the difference between a 58 and a 57 is when a singer holds the mic against his/her lips. The proximity effect is greater with the 57 due to the wind screen being closer to the diaphram. From one foot away, they sound identical to my ears.

Blessings, Terry

The bummer about taking the ball off of a SM58 to make it sound more like a 57 is... the capsule isn't protected and therefore it can break easy... if you want a 57 I suggest you buy a 57... don't trash your 58.

This is from the q&a section on the shure website:

The capsules are identical. Differences are imparted by the windsreen assemblies.

You can buy the pop screen made by Shure for the 57 for about $10, and it essentially becomes a 58. The capsule to screen distance and the frequency attenuation by the pop filter become very close to that of the 58. (Does not look as cool, however)

The capsule in the 57 is integrated into the windscreen assembly for that mic, which does alter the sonic characteristics slightly. So taking the ball off the 58 and using the naked capsule does not produce a response curve exactly like a 57.

Last edited:
Actually, I use a 58 without the grille for guitars frequently. I'd be afraid using it near flying sticks though :)

It's *not* the same sound as the 57 -- I would characterize it as being more "open" and aggressive on guitars.

Back