SM57 vs SP-B1

Ouch...

::wipes the spittle off his face::

I wasn't saying they're replacing SM57's, I was just saying they have many useful jobs and sound good on many things, just like the SM57... Calm down.

Don't mind DJ - he takes any praise of SP products as a slap in the face, and starts foaming at the mouth.

If the music stores, recording studios, sound reinforcement companies, and etc don't start buying SP B1's soon the B1's most likely won't be around in 25 years.

DJL said:
If the music stores, recording studios, sound reinforcement companies, and etc don't start buying SP B1's soon the B1's most likely won't be around in 25 years.

One of my music stores in town *does* sell B1's in the store, and can also get B-3's, and C-1's (but don't keep them on hand). The mics have only been out a short while, and it takes a while for things to become common. I have few doubts that 2 or 3 years down the road, many music stores will offer SP mics as a regular in their inventory.

Well, I'm no fortune teller... but as we speak, most music stores, studios, sound reinforcement companies and etc have Shure SM57's and DON'T have any B1's... therefore the B1s are NOT pretty much becoming the next "all-around" workhorse in the mic world, just like Shure SM57's as you stated.

PS...
Now, if you would have stated something like "the B1s could become another "all-around" workhorse in the small home recording studio" I wouldn't have said anything. ;)

Last edited:
I think the 57 will stay the most common mic for instruments and such, but the B1 will become the most popular for vocals.

DJL said:
BULLSHIT... call your local music stores, recording studios, sound reinforcement companies, and etc and ask them how many SP B1's they have... then ask them how many Shure SM57's they have.
You're an ass.

DJL said:
PS...
Now, if you would have stated something like "the B1s could become another "all-around" workhorse in the small home recording studio" I wouldn't have said anything. ;)

But since he was slightly stronger in his enthusiasm for the mic, you jump all over him. You're an inspiration to us all.

cominginsecond said:
But since he was slightly stronger in his enthusiasm for the mic, you jump all over him. You're an inspiration to us all.
If it was you making such a false claim I'd be all over your ass because you know better.

Drummer4Life05 said:
I think the 57 will stay the most common mic for instruments and such, but the B1 will become the most popular for vocals.

Actually, where the B1 doesn't necessarily excel is on vocals. It can work fine in some cases, but that's not what's so great about the B1/B3.

The B mics excel as instrument mics, and in most cases are much better than 57's for project studio applications.

I think the Studio Projects B1 is now the most essential mic for home studios - even surpassing the SM57.

Here's my rating on studio applications, based on a scale of 1-10:

SM57
amps - 9
toms - 4
kick -2
snare - 9
OH - 3
acoustic - 3
percussion - 2
vocals - anywhere from 1-10

SP B1
amps - 9
toms - 10
kick - not tested
snare - 9
OH - 9
acoustic - 9
percussion - 8
vocals - anywhere from 5-8

Dan Richards
Digital Pro Sound
The Listening Sessions

Dot said:

SM57
amps - 9
toms - 4
kick -2
snare - 9
OH - 3
acoustic - 3
percussion - 2

SP B1
amps - 9
toms - 10
kick - not tested
snare - 9
OH - 9
acoustic - 9
percussion - 8

I couldn't agree with you more. That's why I think it's screwy when people recommend a 57 when newbs ask "What's a good first mic for my studio?" A B1 is a much, much better answer IMHO.

Dot said:
Actually, where the B1 doesn't necessarily excel is on vocals. It can work fine in some cases, but that's not what's so great about the B1/B3.

The B mics excel as instrument mics, and in most cases are much better than 57's for project studio applications.

I think the Studio Projects B1 is now the most essential mic for home studios - even surpassing the SM57.

SM57
amps - 9
toms - 4
kick -2
snare - 9
OH - 3
acoustic - 3
percussion - 2

SP B1
amps - 9
toms - 10
kick - not tested
snare - 9
OH - 9
acoustic - 9
percussion - 8

Dan Richards
Digital Pro Sound
The Listening Sessions

Dan, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but if you find the handful of BEST mics in the world for a certain application, they are a 10. Everythng else is a 9 or lower. By giving the B1 all 9s and a 10 (out of a possible 10) you are pretty much saying there are few mics in the world that are its equal for any application at any price. :eek:

I agree with Dan, I did a lot of recording with the B1 lately in order to find out what this mic can and can't.

I have but one SM57 and almost never use it, the Beyer M201 is a much better snare mic for example.

The B1 however, is a great workhorse. A recorded guitar amp sound will cut very easely through the mix.

Yesterday we recorded a nice sounding acoustic guitar with it and again it sounded very decent, like the grand piano we did with a pair of B1's the day before.

I could have picked many classic mics, even $4k+ mics, but the B1 did the job just fine.

The SM57 is another cup of tea, you can't compare a 57 to a B1.

If your budget is limited and you want a great LD condenser, fit for most applications, the B1 is the right choice.

For people with lower cost preamps, I suggest the B1 as condensers can get by to a better extent on less quality preamps.

The B1 can be versatile. It shines on instrument mic'ing.

The Shure SM57 deserves its reputation as a workhorse mic but in the context of being put through some nice preamps.

Dot said:

SM57
amps - 9
toms - 4
kick -2
snare - 9
OH - 3
acoustic - 3
percussion - 2

SP B1
amps - 9
toms - 10
kick - not tested
snare - 9
OH - 9
acoustic - 9
percussion - 8

Dan Richards
Digital Pro Sound
The Listening Sessions
Humm, I think it's more like...

Scale... Great, Good, Ok, Sucks.

SM57
amps - Ok to Good
toms - Ok to Good
kick - Sucks
snare - Ok to Good
OH - Sucks
acoustic - Ok
percussion - Ok to Good
vocals - Ok to Good

B1
amps - Ok to Good
toms - Sucks to Ok
kick - Sucks
snare - Sucks
OH - Ok
acoustic - Ok
percussion - Sucks to Ok
vocals - Sucks to maybe Ok

PS...
Now lets throw the Sennheiser MD421 into the equation...
amps - Good to Great
toms - Good to Great
kick - Good to Great
snare - Ok
OH - Sucks
acoustic - Ok
percussion - Good to Great
vocals - Ok to Good
horns, brass, etc - Good

PSS...
Outdoors on stage (climate changes, wind, etc)...
SM57 - Good
B1 - Sucks

Last edited:
ozraves said:
For people with lower cost preamps, I suggest the B1 as condensers can get by to a better extent on less quality preamps.

The B1 can be versatile. It shines on instrument mic'ing.

The Shure SM57 deserves its reputation as a workhorse mic but in the context of being put through some nice preamps.

Good points...

DJL: Since your and Dot's ratings differ, is it safe to say that the usage of the mic depends on the users opinion?

Back