SM57 vs SP-B1

scottn5388

How different would the Studio Projects B1 mics sound as drum overheads compared to Shure SM57s or 58s (which is what i am currently using). I would also be using these B1s for vocals and acoustic guitar if I end up getting 'em.

I've heard nothing but good things about this mic and for 80 bucks...sounds like a killer deal.

Sooo...is there a noticable difference? Would you reccomend a pair of these?

Thanks For Your Help,
Scott

Sorry...forgot to add one more question...

How do they sound on piano? I would probably be micing an upright with them. Anyone have any expierince micing piano with a SP-B1?

Thanks,
Again

The B-1 is a totally different type of mic than your shures. It will probably sound very, very good in comparison for the overheads, acoutic guitar and probably for vocals, too. The SM's are fine mics and have a WIDE range of applications, but condensor mics are quite a different beast when it comes to recording things in isolation. Not necessarily better, just different- usually in a good way.

You'll need a preamp or mixer with phantom power, though, if you don't have one already. Its a different beast, for sure.

Enjoy!
Chris

Thanks for your replys! That's what I thought I would hear...I hope they will really improve my drum sound. And Chris, I do have phantom power already.

Thanks again for your help!

-Scott

B1s are pretty much becoming the next "all-around" workhorse in the mic world, just like Shure SM57's. That doesn't mean they sound much alike, but rather that they both have many, many uses are are both extremely dependable.

SM57 is a good general purpose mic. As far as overheads, you may want to check out the MXL603.

I have 57's and B-1's and if you are choosing between the two for overheads there's no contest. the B-1's are your choice. for me i still like my MC012's for overs as I like small condensor mics as apposed to LD's .

57's are my choice for snare and I like them better on toms believe it or not over the B-1's (too much bleed for me) plus i'm getting alot of toms in my overheads already so the 57's are perfect for adding that attack.

I use the B-1 for a mono room mic, sometimes pairs, or even one in front of the kick for extra boom!

88fingers said:
Hey man, what kind of positioning did you do for those SM57's on that grand piano? That actually sounded really good.
Lid on the high stick.

Mike 1 sitting between A4 and C4 15" back from the pin bar, and about 10" above the strings, angled inward around 15 deg, and angled slightly AWAY from the hammers. (I don't like hammer noise on my piano recordings.)

Mike 2 sitting over the middle of the over-strung low section, about 8" off the strings and about 28" back from the pin bar angled slightly TOWARDS the front.

I'll give you another tip here:
The real magic is in the pres!
;)

Around $550 per channel, but you need a rack too. Those are about $600, and will power 6 modules. So that kind of drives the price per module up a bit.

Another alternative to the individual modules is the API3124+
Its 4 channels of API 312's, but will run you $2500 or so, for 4 channels. I think the 3124 uses different transformers though.
http://www.mercenaryaudio.com/api19ramopr.html

Buying the individual modules will let you get into them a little cheaper. Once you have the rack, add a module every time you've got $500 laying around burning a hole in your pocket. :p

88fingers said:
Ouch... that's pretty pricey :( But damn, they sound good.
Yeah, they are kinda pricey, but hey, if you can get into a vintage API pair for $1700 or so....

You could do a single channel for $900.
:(

http://www.brentaverill.com/312a/

Now, Brent has made a change to the 312's he's selling:
He no longer uses the 2520 Op Amp in his modules, and I'm not sure if he still uses the original 312 cards.

88fingers said:
B1s are pretty much becoming the next "all-around" workhorse in the mic world, just like Shure SM57's.
BULLSHIT... call your local music stores, recording studios, sound reinforcement companies, and etc and ask them how many SP B1's they have... then ask them how many Shure SM57's they have.

DJL said:
BULLSHIT... call your local music stores, recording studios, sound reinforcement companies, and etc and ask them how many SP B1's they have... then ask them how many Shure SM57's they have.

A bit harsh DJL. however, I do have to agree. when th B-1 has been around for 25 plus years, then we'll see how it holds up...as I said in my reply, the B-1's are useful but my 57's still get more of a variety of applications.

Back