Sloppy drums!

Having just skimmed thru these replies and listening to the recording my opinion is, USE A CLICK! Practice with it as a whole group and when you hit record ,dont tell the drummer.

Don't you think he'll figure it out once he starts hearing a click in his headphones? :D

LMAO! He's a drummer RAMI. Weren't you paying attention? :p

Daveonbass....does the drummer know he's out of time? It could be a case of just getting back into it.
If he's aware, just practice for a bit and see how you go.

Particular grooves were worse than others; I'm sure you know that, so rehearse those more than others.

Could it be because our drummer doesn't get to practice much, as his kit is in our studio, and as a band we haven't rehearsed for a while?
Dave :(

This. ;)

How's that saying go? There's no substitution for perspiration? :rolleyes:

What others are saying about practicing to a click/cd/drum machine, then recording without it, is good advice. i'm a drummer, btw. like for 25+ years.

a little tempo flexibility can be an effective technique, but everyone has to flex together, if you KWIM.

what about feeding the drummer a loop he programs and likes, instead of a click? i will say playing along to any kind of click track is not easy and takes practice, and can actually be detrimental if unfamiliar. gotta be in your comfort zone.

you guys are well on your way, tho'. :thumbsup: :listeningmusic:

Having just skimmed thru these replies and listening to the recording my opinion is, USE A CLICK! Practice with it as a whole group and when you hit record ,dont tell the drummer.

another good idea, recording 'rehearsal' takes. there's no reason not to be recording all the time, really. you never know what you might catch...

My band are attempting to record out ep, and to me the drums just seem so sloppy, the main culprit being the kick drum !
Should you be recording an EP at this stage when you admit the drummer doesn't practice and you don't rehearse as a band ? Bear in mind that any permanent recording needs to bear repeated listenings. Forever.
This is our 2nd attempt of tracking the drums and they still seem shit to me
Is your drummer somewhat thick skinned or overly sensitive ? How did he react to having to do the drums again ? Have you discuussed your dissatisfaction with him ? What was his stance ?

Could it be because our drummer doesn't get to practice much, as his kit is in our studio, and as a band we haven't rehearsed for a while?

Or could there be some other reason for it?
This is the golden example of a question that contains it's own reply.

Please help
You can be helped the 'studio wizardry' way or simply correct this
our drummer doesn't get to practice much, as his kit is in our studio, and as a band we haven't rehearsed for a while?
The first way will simply lead you to your opening post.

Believe me, I use all that time stretching, quantizing stuff. But to tell a person who is [I assume] relatively new to recording drums to start slicing, dicing and stretching drums is not the solution to his problem. He'll be a in a world of hurt when his drummer realizes his inadequacies can be fixed by studio trickery because said drummer will become lazy and request the process every time. I'm looking at the long term.

Another problem is when the rest of the kit is being played in relatively good time compared to the kick, like in this example. It's one thing for the entire groove to be late but when it's just the kick, you're going to end up chasing your tail and there's going to be a trade-off somewhere. Ever try to fix a four-to-the-floor groove when the kick and snare are flamming? Not very easy and often it's not possible. This is a similar situation.

Cheers :)

Believe me, I use all that time stretching, quantizing stuff. But to tell a person who is [I assume] relatively new to recording drums to start slicing, dicing and stretching drums is not the solution to his problem. He'll be a in a world of hurt when his drummer realizes his inadequacies can be fixed by studio trickery because said drummer will become lazy and request the process every time. I'm looking at the long term.

Another problem is when the rest of the kit is being played in relatively good time compared to the kick, like in this example. It's one thing for the entire groove to be late but when it's just the kick, you're going to end up chasing your tail and there's going to be a trade-off somewhere. Ever try to fix a four-to-the-floor groove when the kick and snare are flamming? Not very easy and often it's not possible. This is a similar situation.

Again, I totally agree. I was just trying to offer a solution. It's definitely better
for the drummer work out the kinks in his playing (by practicing with a click, etc..).
I guess I was assuming that they wanted this EP done quickly; so, elastic audio
would be a quick option....

Don't you think he'll figure it out once he starts hearing a click in his headphones? :D

He's gonna hear the click while practicing but he doesnt need to know when your recording ya know?

Sometimes it helps to start with a click and then let it drop out after like the first chorus.

Just things to try before you forced to live with what you may consider a shoddy performance or finding a different drummer.

Dont grid it up, thats cheating Imo.

He admitted there were a few mistakes, but nothing that major,and that he thought the takes were actually okay! (but i'd beg to differ)

And on the message refering to the bass, that was just a guide track, guitar and bass were mixed down to one track!

He admitted there were a few mistakes, but nothing that major,and that he thought the takes were actually okay! (but i'd beg to differ)

And on the message refering to the bass, that was just a guide track, guitar and bass were mixed down to one track!

"Major" is in the ear of the beholder. I think that if he is a "drummer", he should be able to hear the kicked notes that are off. Back in the day, I found two useful solutions. Adjusting the click volume, and playing a simpler beat/fill. If it moves out of the realm of drumming and into the realm of psychology, well... good luck.

From what I've heard there, by now, what your band needs to do should be pretty obvious to you, but I don't want to be the guy to tell you and be rude.

From what I've heard there, by now, what your band needs to do should be pretty obvious to you, but I don't want to be the guy to tell you and be rude.
Well then, be the guy to tell him and do it reasonably, politely and helpfully.
You make it sound like it'll hurt you to be honest without withering someone's possible self esteem, tsk, tsk.

You know 30 years ago if you guys were in the studio the engineer would either get you piss drunk and do it himself or hire a studio guy or be blunt and tell the drummer that he wasn't up for the task.

But now we have tools to fix a sloppy take, and it always seems to be at the expense of someones ego.

witzendoz, no stress dude. I wasn't saying you were saying anything. Just giving my thoughts.

I agree with you so we're on the same page.

All cool, I haven't been on the forum for a few days as I am working with a tour that's in town.

Alan.

You know 30 years ago if you guys were in the studio the engineer would either get you piss drunk and do it himself or hire a studio guy or be blunt and tell the drummer that he wasn't up for the task.

But now we have tools to fix a sloppy take, and it always seems to be at the expense of someones ego.

You know that if people practiced for as much time that is taken to edit and fix crap playing they would become better players.

Alan.
View attachment 72639

The same could be said for tuning and mic placement. Spend the time getting the sound right and miking it correctly instead of spending hours butchering the track with gates, EQ, and compression.

Back