Slant Faced Studio Rack Cabinet!

Hay Gorty, looks better than my chipboard one ha ha. Here it is hidden (as it should be) behind and under the computer gear. I did build it like a tank though, holds a fair bit of weight.

Cheers

Alan.

Attachments

• computer-corner-new-tascam.jpg
    computer-corner-new-tascam.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 231
Hay Gorty, looks better than my chipboard one ha ha. Here it is hidden (as it should be) behind and under the computer gear. I did build it like a tank though, holds a fair bit of weight.

Cheers

Alan.

Hey Alan, how's things up Freo way?

That's a sweet cab. & nice gear inside.
When will you post somthing from there?
Good to see your name again!

Hey Alan, how's things up Freo way?

Well the Footy season is over so the pain of being a Fremantle supporter has stopped.

I just noticed that in my photo I have my old Atari 1040st running, I just made up an adaptor so it can use a modern LCD screen (in monochrome) and it was generating a click track for the session, synced to the Tascam MX2424.

I sent you a PM with my number.

Cheers

Alan.

That's a sweet cab. & nice gear inside.
When will you post somthing from there?
Good to see your name again!

Cheers rayc, I'm learning how to route everything properly to get the most out of my mic pre's etc. Hopefully some new tunes soon.

Well the Footy season is over so the pain of being a Fremantle supporter has stopped.

I just noticed that in my photo I have my old Atari 1040st running, I just made up an adaptor so it can use a modern LCD screen (in monochrome) and it was generating a click track for the session, synced to the Tascam MX2424.

I sent you a PM with my number.

Cheers

Alan.

Hey Alan, I replied to your pm, we'll catch up soon for sure. :)

Hey Gorty, I've been thinking about building a rack like yours and was wondering if you have a drawing and parts list available? I'm about as handy with a ruler and saw as Tim Taylor, but I need to go cheap. I wish I could throw some points your way but it will not let me. Thanks for any help you can give.

Yeah...nice looking finish on the rack, Gorty! :cool:

I built all my racks...and the entire console/work desk area....but I went for a painted finish instead of stain with clear-coat.
I started with the notion of staining...but with the large amount of rack/desk space I had...it started to look like hunting lodge furniture!!! :D

Using a tougher deck paint I went with the "burnt sienna" color. I think I did like 6 coats...the whole build/paint took me about a month of weekends and some time in-between...but I did 4 slant racks, plus the desk area, plus the top racks.
The rack/console/rack piece is on wheels...so I can pull the whole thing out to get behind for wires. The other tall dual rack is also on wheels for the same purpose. The section in the corner (hard to see) is mounted to the wall.

studio01.jpg

Hey miroslav, Beautiful picks. Awesome work. How about driving to Ohio to build me a few racks like that! I promise to watch you work and crack the whip if you start slowing down. I might even through in a glass of water with 1 half melted ice cube. Now tell me that's not tempting??? No really, if I had the money I would have someone in the forum build me something.

Hey Gorty, I've been thinking about building a rack like yours and was wondering if you have a drawing and parts list available? I'm about as handy with a ruler and saw as Tim Taylor, but I need to go cheap. I wish I could throw some points your way but it will not let me. Thanks for any help you can give.
I didn't know what you meant by giving me points before, but I do now! :p I basically just made the cabinet from a sketch I drew but had to make sure the width was 483mm to take the rack components. I could knock you up a sketch if you like?

Yeah...nice looking finish on the rack, Gorty! :cool:

I built all my racks...and the entire console/work desk area....but I went for a painted finish instead of stain with clear-coat.
I started with the notion of staining...but with the large amount of rack/desk space I had...it started to look like hunting lodge furniture!!! :D

Using a tougher deck paint I went with the "burnt sienna" color. I think I did like 6 coats...the whole build/paint took me about a month of weekends and some time in-between...but I did 4 slant racks, plus the desk area, plus the top racks.
The rack/console/rack piece is on wheels...so I can pull the whole thing out to get behind for wires. The other tall dual rack is also on wheels for the same purpose. The section in the corner (hard to see) is mounted to the wall.

studio01.jpg

Thanx miroslav, nice work on your studio as well man! I can't wait until I have to make another rack cabinet. :)

Nice rack Gorty! the stain really goes well with the room, (your desk and walls).

As for miroslav, your studio is pretty freakin sweet!

Thanks for the inspiration guys! And good luck on all of your endeavors!

Very nice work! I have a rather stupid question:

Is there a standard for the degree of slant when designing a studio rack cabinet?

Back