Simple mic question - am I wrong?

scuppari

I'm in the middle of a huge argument with a fellow ebayer (retail store who won't be named at this time) over an auction I won. The auction stated I was bidding on a factory sealed stereo set of MXL603s with mic clips and case plus 20ft Rapco/Neutrik cables for $129.

My question: Does "Factory Sealed Stereo Set" necessarily mean "Matched Set"?

This company sent me the wrong item the first go-around and the new shipment contained the mics and case. The "mic clips" included in the case were actually shockmounts. Cables were not included as stated in the auction. I emailed the retailer and they stated I got a much better deal because the auction was for a stereo set, not a matched pair... I got a better and more expensive mic package and they couldn't include cables without taking a loss.

I don't want to be a dick, but the stores' communication is poor and the guy behind the keyboard had major attitude.

scuppari said:
I'm in the middle of a huge argument with a fellow ebayer (retail store who won't be named at this time) over an auction I won. The auction stated I was bidding on a factory sealed stereo set of MXL603s with mic clips and case plus 20ft Rapco/Neutrik cables for $129.

My question: Does "Factory Sealed Stereo Set" necessarily mean "Matched Set"?

This company sent me the wrong item the first go-around and the new shipment contained the mics and case. The "mic clips" included in the case were actually shockmounts. Cables were not included as stated in the auction. I emailed the retailer and they stated I got a much better deal because the auction was for a stereo set, not a matched pair... I got a better and more expensive mic package and they couldn't include cables without taking a loss.

I don't want to be a dick, but the stores' communication is poor and the guy behind the keyboard had major attitude.

My opinion is that the "stereo pair" is a matched set by definition. There is no reason a factory would sell a stereo pair unless they are matched. That is the whole point of "stereo" You are being yanked by the guy and he has pulled the "bait and switch" routine. He is trying to make you feel that you got a better deal with the "matched set". Post his company and his name everywhere you can and tell your story.

AGREED!!!!

NO matter what, make sure you either get your money back, or post on here as well as Ebay, and other forums, the company name, the situation, and their selling tactics.

Even though you may not save yourself on this one you can defame their name and prevent others from running into the same problem. Also , just give them horrible feedback, and KEEP YOUR EMAILS from them to you , and you to them. This way if anyone asks you why you gave them negative feedback, you can show them proof of that companies lies and deciet.

Baiscally man, don't take it lying down, most people on ebay are honest and true, but the ones that aren't, need to be punished either way.

-dano

You should have gotten a paper with your Marshall MXL603SPR stating the following...

MARSHALL ELECTRONICS

Congraulations! and Thank You for your purchase of the MLX603SPR Stereo Matched Pair. These 2 microphones have been carefully matched at Marshall Electronics in El Segundo, CA. They have been evaluated and paired according to their sonic characteristics to provide you with the quality you've come to expect from Marshall Electronics.

Marshall Electronics, Inc.
1910 East Maple Avenue
El Segundo, CA 90020
800-800-6608
www.mxlmics.com

Tell the seller their full of crap and to send you your cables immediately... or you'll post negative feedback, file a complaint with ebay and report them to Marshall Electronics and the Better Business Bureau.

PS... I want to know who the seller is??????

Last edited:
ABSOLUTELY take this to ebay and to Marshall. do your damnedest to lose them their Marshall distributorship.

Their profit is not your responsibility. They COULD have done the right thing, and maybe kept a satisfied customer in a profitable relationship.

You can make their skinflint apporach to doing business cost them way more than the cables they're trying to dick you out of.

Daf

And tell us who the seller is so we can avoid getting ripped-off by them?

Last edited:
They're still not willing to ship the cables, so I'm getting f**ked.. it doesn't mean everyone should.

The ebay id for this company is AUDIOGEAR4LESS, but their company is called:

Musician's Advocate
2532 Valencia Place
Henderson, NV 89074-6222
(702) 492-6803

Here are a couple quotes from an email I received from their company:

"I am finished arguing with you, and you should have your tracking number for the cables".... "You now have everything, and we have lost money .......................Happy????"

and...

"Like any OTHER seller, we should have just been dicks and refunded you instead of taking a loss to try and make you happy"

This company has hundreds of positive feedback recorded on EBAY (100% in fact). I might be the only bad experience in the lot, but they are handling this the wrong way. I'm not saying avoid their auctions, just keep my story in mind.

DJL - I got all the paperwork from Marshall.

I emailed them twice since they said "I am finished arguing with you, and you should have your tracking number for the cables".

No response from them at all.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
chessrock - "It's not those Musician's Advocate ass clowns, is it??
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ass clowns!?! So, you've heard of them before? :-)

scuppari, are they sending you the cables or not?

I've gotten stuff from Musician's Advocate on ebay in the pass and had no problems... but, their email and phone communications really suck and the owner is a fuckin prick.

If they don't send you your cables... post negative feedback, file a complaint with ebay and report them to Marshall Electronics and the Better Business Bureau.

DJL- no response from them in the past 18 hrs... no tracking number either, so I'm not sure if I'm getting the cables or not.

Like I said, I might be the only person to have a negative experience, but based on a couple responses from BBS members I don't think I'm the only one.

I just want to get what I paid for.

And you should get what you paid for too... and your NOT the first person to have problems with Musician's Advocate either.

Oh man, this is fucking annoying. I've been seriously considering using the Buy It Now on some of their auctions. Now I'm nervous.

Mike BL said:
Oh man, this is fucking annoying. I've been seriously considering using the Buy It Now on some of their auctions. Now I'm nervous.

If the transaction is smooth you shouldn't have much problem. They shipped me the wrong item the first time and sent an incomplete order the 2nd time (no cables).

I compare Musicians Advocate to AT&T.. if your service is working, then it's great... but I pity the fool who has to call their customer service department. Let the headaches begin.

LOL ! ! ! :D :D :D

This is the funniest thing I've heard in some time. :D

Look, there's nothing seriously wrong with Musician's Assclowns . . . er . . . Advocate. They'll take care of you, and it appears they did.

It's just that Brad what's-his-face (I believe his name is Brad Ass) has a thing or two to learn about tact, being friendly with customer's, responding nicely to complaints and emails, etc.

Not to mention his marketing strategies might need a little polishing up.

Anyway, Brad Ass may talk like an ass, but deep-down, he's just a big softie. Kind of like a fluffy Teddy Bear who goes around telling his customers they're idiots (and to fuck off and what not) when you pull his string. Don't let him scare you, though. Just tell him if he doesn't take care of you, you'll go and spread nasty stuff about him on the web like you're doing right now. He'll get the picture.

chessrock said:
Just tell him if he doesn't take care of you, you'll go and spread nasty stuff about him on the web like you're doing right now. He'll get the picture.

Just followed everyone's suggestion to threaten negative feedback, BBB, etc. and got a quick response that contained a tracking number that is scheduled for delivery on 6/4.

Whether or not the box will contain the cables or a pile of shit will remain a mystery for another week. My luck they'll ship two MIDI cables instead of XLR.

Thanks to all. Venting is good when you share with friends.

Here's a "stereo pair" of 603s' sold at 8thstreet.com:

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=6450&Category=Microphones

I didn't find any mention of them being matched. By definition stereo just implies that you get two mics...they don't necessarily have to be matched, although it's definitely optimal for recording purposes.

So I was wondering, is THIS the set they sent you, with the two shockmounts included, and the case? If so, you probably got a pretty good deal, as I've never seen this anywhere for lower than the $199 at 8thstreet. Has anyone bought this set from 8thstreet? Does it typically include the MXL documentation posted earlier? I actually assumed they WEREN'T matched, since if you add up the individual price of the mics, add in the shockmounts, and the case, it'd be well over $200, thus the $199 is a decent discount/package deal to get it all together. Matching on top of that would be quite a bit more expensive (just look at how much the Sound Room charges for the MC-012's that are matched!!!)

In any case though, getting a MATCHED PAIR of 603's, mics that alone sell for $79 each without shockmounts (and that's a GOOD price!), for $129 would be completely insane! So add in the shockmounts and now the cables and you probably got $250 worth of gear, retail, for $129!!!

I don't think the set they had intended to sell you, with the cables instead of shockmounts, would've been matched either, thus according to selling price you actually DID get a better deal, although you misunderstood what was actually being offered. I honestly don't think they were trying to deceive you. Maybe it was just a bit of wishful thinking on your part, that you'd get that amazing of a deal on a matched pair.

I know it sucks because you had your hopes up and were expecting something that you didn't end up getting, but technically I don't think they deceived you at all. And the fact that they've bent over backwards to get you those cables is representative of A-1, quality customer service. However, sending you those e-mails about how they're done responding to you is very immature and imprudent for a business.

by the way, have you tried your new mics yet? I hear MXL's quality control is pretty decent. Are they close enough that they're essentially matched? (i.e., sequential serial numbers, etc.)

How could he try 'em? He doesn't have any cables yet. --And thanks for the heads-up on Moosician's advocate. Didn't like Bad brass's attitude last time he was around here. Just for kicks you might want to do a search for his posts.

Back