simple acoustic stuff

David

Wanted to do something a capella:D but I aint got the pipes to even think about it haha. Did come up with a simple little acoustic number with some harmonies added...and I don't do the harmony thing that often LOL. Guitars are out of time right outta the gate, hope I can retrack that sometime soon. Okay this has the name "Jesus" in this so..I aint gettin in any flame war's in any shape or form;) http://www.nowhereradio.com/david/singles second from the bottom "My Golden Rule" comments on gtrs/mix/or anything else is appreciated. Thanks.

David

You have a fine voice and I think the acoustic sounds real nice on this. The bg vocals sound like they could come up just a notch.

Real nice song...very mellow on a Sunday afternoon!

:D

boydrj said:
You have a fine voice and I think the acoustic sounds real nice on this. The bg vocals sound like they could come up just a notch.

Real nice song...very mellow on a Sunday afternoon!

:D
Appreciate the listen boydrj, I'll give those b/g's another go in a bit. Off to church to listen to my daughter sing right now..can't wait:) Thanks bro!

You got my seal of approval in about four measures! And when the harmonies come in - heaven, brother! This is soooooooo coool!

I'm on headphones and the mix sounds great. And I love harmony so you cold bring 'em on up for me. Great voice - great playin' - great concept - excellent recording!

(I lived in Columbus, MS for a couple years - how far away from there are ya? When I come back for a visit I'm bringin' my guitar and lookin' you up.)
Milan

I enjoyed the track!

Wonderful acoustic guitar and very fitting vocals.

Not really much to critique on this one. You did a very competent job of recording it. And, that's a lot more then I can say for the Sunday effort I offered up to the forum.

Nice song.

Cheers! :)

Great stuff, excellent guitars. Lot's of air in the vocals, they sounded great.

On the last verse when I listened with headphones the verb on the main vox stood out between the chord hits. Other than that I really liked the mixing approach.

I loved the guitars on this, the low E stuff near the end was the capper.

5 stars dude!

Wow, nice. I'm not entirely sure I'd prefer this with a little less verb - but I suspect I might. I'd have to hear a drier version side by side with this to know for sure. But thought I'd mention it.

It sounds great like it is - but I think a little less "room" might even improve it more.

Great singing - loved it.

Chris

I have listened to this song 5 times in a row. Therefore I am not very objective at this point about the mix :D !

This is a fine, fine, fine song. A very good piece of music, sung passionately and sincerely, with all the style and grace any performer could possibly muster.

The complexity of this mix and the intricate guitar work is such that I could spend so long ... but I think I'll just choose to enjoy this one. ;-)

From the first listen I realized there was little else to do but just sit back and enjoy this one.

If I HAD TO make a suggestion, I would suggest that the reverb is a little wet on the vocal, and I would tighten up the delay to between 40 and 60 miliseconds.

The harmony backup vocals might benifit from being doubled, (copy a submix of all the backups), and pan one set left at 10:00, and another set at 15 minutes after. I think even a tiny bit of autopanning, or movment in the backups would be really cool, perhaps just moving them from 10% left to 4% left and then back to 8%, as if the singers were 'leaning in'.

Fantastic, thanks for sharing.

Peace.

I was gonna' say that you're one talented mo fo...but you're really more like 3 or 4 talented mo fos.

Your Jesus comment cracked me up...DUCK, HERE COMES THE LIGHTENING!!!

Anyway...whatever level issues existed earlier are gone or never were there, lol. I'm with Scott on the listen and enjoy boat, but I'm also with Groucho on the "less might be more" in the verb arena...really, I like it on the lead guit lines, and the bg vox...just wanting less on your voice, I guess.

So reverb preference (and I should stress that it's a preference) would be less.

I really HAVE to learn how to play my instrument someday.

Good tracks man...
Very cool vox harmonies....excellent emotive performance....tres' funky guit-fiddle man....were you born on the bayou? :D
yeah...just a tad less verb on the vox maybe but this just too cool....

really cool lyrics man...forced in a couple places but that is a super nit pick.....

could use a bass track man...real fiddle too...

damn...this is good...

take it easy man..
Joe

freshears said:
but I aint got the pipes to even think about it haha.

You've got the voice of a great rock 'n roll lead singer. All you're missing is the ego :D.
Sounds great. Reverb might be a little deep.

Performance and recording are wonderful! Great guitar interplay.

Re: Re: simple acoustic stuff

fprod south said:
You've got the voice of a great rock 'n roll lead singer. All you're missing is the ego :D.

Spot on!

Will listen to it in a minute...

loved it.. you should keep pushing the backup vocals in the future.. it's a powerful tool in your arsenal.. almost sounds like a lost acoustic Bad Company track!

Agree on the reverb. Also on Studioviol's comments on doubling the harmonies. But I'm a notorious doubler, so perhaps you shouldn't listen to me (us?)...

Agree on all the good and nice comments.

Bridge that starts at 1:32 is fingerlickin' good.

Goosebumps all over my neck here (the good ones, I mean)....

You're even better at the higher volumes. Damn, I want to write a hardrockin' tune and ask you for vocals! :)

"Aint got the pipes"..... yeah, right! Dude, if it weren't for the fact that the guitar was so good, I'd be bustin yer chops for not doin the a capella thing. This is a top shelf tune! I thoroughly enjoyed it. You're getting a good tone on the acoustics and the playin was very good. Good mix. I for one liked the reverb like it is.

bd

freshears said:
Wanted to do something a capella:D but I aint got the pipes to even think about it haha.

You... STEENKEENG LIAR!!!! :mad:

;)

My Golden Rule

AAHHHH! Cool-@ss guitar playing... you & JMarcomb been hangin out??
Or you and Tom? ;) Slidemaster.

PHAT sounding recording... are you using a tape-sim? Sounds nicely
"saturated". Guitar has the right sound to it. Great vocals. Interesting use of delays/verb.

Maybe you could bump down the voc faders slightly in the choruses so the guitars don't go away competely. Since it's just "Oh... yeah..."
and such, there's no danger of not hearing what the words are :D

5 ***** (gtr/vocs)

C

Nice guitar sound. Really warm with plenty of highs. Good job.

Really really nice vocals too, but I think the reverb tail might be just a bit too long. Sounds kinda unnatural to me.

Good guitar playing!

Damn, you sing with yourself as good as you play with yourself.... heheheh.
Real nice buddy, 'loved it. I like the levels you maintained. The clarity is good and just the slight verb is good, still jus a bit strong though.

:)

While you guy's were..

..having fun today, I had to freakin work:mad: . Anyway's I wasn't expecting so many good vibes from this.

MC Gitarz: Hey thanks brutha, I live an hr1/2 south of Columbus give or take...straight down highway 25. I'd love that man, shoot me a pm next time your going to be down this way and we'll record something, that'd be great! Thanks Milan! Btw, your going to do all the singing:D , I've done heard you;)

Ghost: Appreciate it Ghost, I've heard you already once man..and you groove! I'll check your "Sunday effort" out real soon, I already know it's great!

Doug H: Thanks Doug, yeah I agree with you about the verb on the lead vox...I think I made it better this evening. Thanks a lot bro!

groucho: Hey Chris, thanks man. I've put up another mix and I think I like the drier voc's better. I alway's make the rookie mistake of tracking and mixing in the same day LOL, haha. If ya get the time man I'd love your thoughts on it..that's asking a lot I know:) . But I think it's better this time. Thanks Chris!

studioviols: Hey bro I've been here four yr's on this board, I've never seen anyone give such detail on mixing/performance/ and song structure as you:D hahaha, I enjoy reading your reviews man...please stick around. Okay I doubled some harmony's and dried up some verb on the lead vocals, pulled the delay back a bit. Don't know if I got the panning right but I tried. Thanks a ton man, and Peace to you;)

B.Samicide:
I'll hit this next!
hehe, yeah but will you listen to the song:D

chrisharris:
I really HAVE to learn how to play my instrument someday.
:rolleyes: , ok yeah:rolleyes: :D ...asshole. Glad your finger is working again LOL, belive me in my line of work I know how that shit is. I took some verb off man..on the lead, like your really going to listen again:D Fuck you Chris, I love ya man. Thanks!

joro:
were you born on the bayou?
haha, no man more like the Mississippi delta hehe. Yeah I hear ya, the voc's were forced in a few places here and there. A bass and fiddle would be cool in this man. Thanks for the words Joe!

fprod south: No ego here bro:) I just love to hang out here amongst you great artist's here in the clinic..it's been a blessing for me. Thanks for checking it out brutha man!

SAMMMMM!! "Lost acoustic Bad Company track"? Heh, I wished it was man haha. Thanks for the listen Sam...you just freakin Rock man!

Pedullist: Thanks Ped! Hey anytime you want my vox just holla, it'd be my pleasure dude. Thanks for the good words bro!

bdbdbuck: Thanks buck, aint seen ya in a while...or just plain out missed ya:) Appreciate it brother!

participant: Chad, between you and chrisharris...I'm alway's laughing my ass off:D . No man I'm using adats..it's tape but all digital I guess eh? Thanks bro..means a hell'uva lot to me.

Got a remix up http://www.nowhereradio.com/david/singles just so you guy's don't think im on here just to post tunes..i'm not, I wanna learn.

Back