Signature Files

Fletcher

DJL, would my "signature" be considered "spam" in your eyes? I feel that it is imperative for me to have my professional affiliation in my signature file, on many of the forums on R/E/P, we insist that professional affiliations be associated with every post.

I work for a sales organaization. MI feel that my affiliation with that sales organization should not be hidden nor concealed. There are certain biases that may occur due to that affiliation, these should be seen for what they are.

While I try to come to this board, and every board for that matter, as a recording engineer, and only as a recording engineer, the fact of the matter is that a good measure of my income is derived from working with a sales organization, this should not be overlooked when evaluating whether or not my advice is of value to the reader... or not.

As for the "Hangin' with George and Harvey at R/E/P", I reckon that could be considered "SPAM"... but again, it's about one of my professional affiliations. I suppose I could list BAMF Productions, and our studio "the Methods and Applications Laboratory", and "Hawg Doctor" [other professional affiliations] but they have no web presence. The "R/E/P" link... well if that's offensive, I have no problem removing it... but at the same time it might actually be somewhat useful for participants of this forum to be able to visit with a couple of professionals that have a good measure of experience. This is not to say that "HR" isn't an extremely valuable resource to the recording community, it is to say that "hey, there is another resource available to you where you can find out about techniques and tools employed by full time, and in many cases upper level professionals.

I dare say that the moderators on R/E/P have been awarded more gold and platinum album plaques than the moderation staff of any three other sites [not that that is a measure of "greatness", but it is a measure of something]... there are a whole bunch of serious professional engineers that hang on the Gearslutz forums as well... but I don't happen to work for Gearslutz, in other words, I have no professional affiliation with Gearslutz, so it's not in my signature file.

So... with all that said, which part is offensive to you? Which part [if any] is offensive to anyone else. I'm kinda curious.

I hardly think your signature can be called spam. From spam.abuse.net:

"Spam is flooding the Internet with many copies of the same message, in an attempt to force the message on people who would not otherwise choose to receive it. Most spam is commercial advertising, often for dubious products, get-rich-quick schemes, or quasi-legal services. Spam costs the sender very little to send -- most of the costs are paid for by the recipient or the carriers rather than by the sender."

EddieRay said:
I hardly think your signature can be called spam. From spam.abuse.net:

"Spam is flooding the Internet with many copies of the same message, in an attempt to force the message on people who would not otherwise choose to receive it. Most spam is commercial advertising,...

So wtf is a signature for a commercial business that is attached to every post made by a person?

Sounds like spam.

Spam doesn't have to be a bogus product.

Including links to professional associations in your signature file state plainly your affiliations in every message you send... without having to restate them in the text of every message...

The spam would be in the content, not in the links, and I've seen no spam in your posts...

Outlaws said:
So wtf is a signature for a commercial business that is attached to every post made by a person?

Sounds like spam.

Then I suppose I'VE spammed this site 10 and a half thousand times and counting???????? Fuck off with this shit..... :rolleyes:

Outlaws said:

Sounds like spam.

Sorry, a signature containing a ref to a commercial business attached to every post is not spam. It's been widely practiced since the early days of the Internet. It was covered rather thoroughly in Internet 101.

Blue Bear Sound said:
Take a flying leap, asshole....... :rolleyes:

See. :D

If well all wanted our signatures just to simple be fore our qualifications to our answers we give to threads, then we could just put "audio engineer", or "Owner a of High End Audio Equipment Sales company", or "Musician", or "home recording tinkerer". If we wanted our links in our profiles so people could check us out if they really cared why we said something, then they could.

But lets be honest.

You, Fletcher, and ME, all have our signature links there because we want people to visit the site. Not that we dont' post here reguardless if we had signatures or not, as we didn't not have signatures last year (if you all recall)...but the fact is, those links are there for business. Any other reason is just BS. (and you know it too BlueBear. so stfu.)

Outlaws said:
but the fact is, those links are there for business. Any other reason is just BS. (and you know it too BlueBear. so stfu.)
Idiot....... the links to our homepages are readily accessible whether the signature is there or not........ :rolleyes:

I put my info in my sig for identification and so people can see where I'm coming from.......... and don't dare presume to speak for me or my intentions......

Fletcher said:
DJL, would my "signature" be considered "spam" in your eyes? I feel that it is imperative for me to have my professional affiliation in my signature file, on many of the forums on R/E/P, we insist that professional affiliations be associated with every post.

I work for a sales organaization. MI feel that my affiliation with that sales organization should not be hidden nor concealed. There are certain biases that may occur due to that affiliation, these should be seen for what they are.

While I try to come to this board, and every board for that matter, as a recording engineer, and only as a recording engineer, the fact of the matter is that a good measure of my income is derived from working with a sales organization, this should not be overlooked when evaluating whether or not my advice is of value to the reader... or not.

As for the "Hangin' with George and Harvey at R/E/P", I reckon that could be considered "SPAM"... but again, it's about one of my professional affiliations. I suppose I could list BAMF Productions, and our studio "the Methods and Applications Laboratory", and "Hawg Doctor" [other professional affiliations] but they have no web presence. The "R/E/P" link... well if that's offensive, I have no problem removing it... but at the same time it might actually be somewhat useful for participants of this forum to be able to visit with a couple of professionals that have a good measure of experience. This is not to say that "HR" isn't an extremely valuable resource to the recording community, it is to say that "hey, there is another resource available to you where you can find out about techniques and tools employed by full time, and in many cases upper level professionals.

I dare say that the moderators on R/E/P have been awarded more gold and platinum album plaques than the moderation staff of any three other sites [not that that is a measure of "greatness", but it is a measure of something]... there are a whole bunch of serious professional engineers that hang on the Gearslutz forums as well... but I don't happen to work for Gearslutz, in other words, I have no professional affiliation with Gearslutz, so it's not in my signature file.

So... with all that said, which part is offensive to you? Which part [if any] is offensive to anyone else. I'm kinda curious.
Note: Some businesses that are using the hr.com forums for advertising have made the advertising messages in their signature space larger text size (and color) than the rest of the postings in the thread to make them standout and get clicked. Heck, some advertising messages in the signature spaces almost look like billboards.

For most I agree with you Fletcher… professional sales affiliations should be associated with every post... and no I don’t think you have ever spammed hr.com before that I know of, and you have always posted helpful info and I respect your opinions very much because we have similar taste and etc. However, the Mercenary Audio link in your signature doesn’t tell anyone about you as an engineer… nor does it state your affiliation with Mercenary Audio. Sure many of us know… but not everyone, expressly not many of the newbies. Therefore, I see the Mercenary Audio link in your signature space as nothing more than a Mercenary Audio advertisement link. A brief statement telling people about your engineering skills/credits and affiliation with Mercenary Audio (For example… I’m a salesman for Mercenary Audio) without the Mercenary Audio advertisement link would be much more approbate in your signature space.

EDIT: Added...

Fletcher, seeing how some people in this thread can't talk about this in an adult manner... if you'd like to continue, would you mine if we moved the discussion to PM's? Don

Last edited:
Is DJL and Outlaws the same guy?

I'm thinking about offering to pay any ones hospital bills for the injuries that were incured from my signature file. I'll have to check into that.

Blue Bear Sound said:
... and don't dare presume to speak for me or my intentions......

Your intentions are clear as day...to get people to your website and to send you their recordings for mixing - and if they live within reason - to come and record at your studio.

See.

I presume and I presume the truth - otherwise you would not be so pissed. You being this pissed just shows that I could not have hit the nail much harder on the head. :D Cheers.

-----------------

(no we are not the same person) :confused: Why?

I don't have any products to sell, don't represent any companies, and don't operate or work in a commercial studio. Heck, I don't even have a signature.

I have no problems with commercial links in signatures.

I believe I speak for us all.

I want to here each one of you say unto me

Show me the money.

Outlaws said:
You being this pissed just shows that I could not have hit the nail much harder on the head.
This defintiely qualifies as one of the more stupid posts I've seen here........ I'm pissed, asshole, because myself other professionals freely give our advice and input to the community here, and to hear this bullshit in light of these contributions is pretty ungrateful......

Mind you, I've seen the same crap directed to some of the REAL heavyweight pros that also contribute here, so your latest bullshit doesn't surprise me at all....

And anyone else who's got a problem with my sig, by all means go ahead and get me and other pros banned....... this will leave you all wallowing in arguments about whether a ROLLS is better than a Behringer pre, and convincing yoruselves that Radio Shack does make mics that rival a U87....

And incidently Berntson - I've heard some of your music clips - the last thing you should be doing is pissing-off pros... your recordings need all the help they could get..........

What a dickhead you are --- please feel free to go fuck yourself several times..... :rolleyes:

BB - 1
Outlaws - 0

By the way check out my little studio in my sig line.

But...ferchristsakes, DO NOT look at the pricing page!

I don't know..
I'd like to be aware of, in a debate over say microphones, if the person I'm discussing with is proffesionally affiliated with, say, a microphone manufacture company. A signature with a name and a link to a company's webpage isn't really an all that big a deal. To me, at least ;)

God said:
I believe I speak for us all.

I want to here each one of you say unto me

Show me the money.

You would figure that God would know how to spell 'hear'.

The sooner you figure out that money is good, the sooner you can move out of your parents house.

Back