Shure SM7

No sonic difference- The difference between SM7 and SM7B is the redesigned armiture. The new version is hung differently, to isolate the mic more, and make it possible to put it on a standing mic stand or hang it from a boom.-Richie

"The original SM-7 was susceptable to hum under certain conditions and they added a little more shielding in the new unit. The old ones (like mine) never would lock down well, and they redesigned the mount. Finally, they put a removable cover over the tone setting switches on the back end, so musicians couldn't get at them easily. They still sound the same." - Harvey Gerst

are you looking at that one on ebay right now? I was thinking of getting it, but i just got a new guitar and really shouldn't.

Thank you guys. Donkeystyle... I had checked for it last week, and there wasn't any listing... I guess it just got added. Pretty much, wherever I can get a good price ;)

I forgot to mention - I have 2 of these, (the originals) and I think their great mics!! I love 'em on vocals. They're my benchmark, and my usual starting point for vocals when going thru mic selection.

If you can get a hold of one; snag it!

Michael Jones said:
I forgot to mention - I have 2 of these, (the originals) and I think their great mics!! I love 'em on vocals. They're my benchmark, and my usual starting point for vocals when going thru mic selection.

If you can get a hold of one; snag it!

what preamp do you use for vocals for it?

One thing I've noticed a lot about the SM-7 is that my clients who use it seem to really like it a lot.

I don't know exactly why that is.

A lot of times, even when I'd rather use something else, my clients seem to want to go back to it. I think people just tend to like how their own voice sounds with it. I used to like what it did for mine, back when I was recording a lot of my own stuff, so I guess I can relate.

It's actually an aggressive mic, in terms of it's frequency response, but it's silky smooth in it's texture and delivery. Works on so many different voices and styles. In busier mixes, you kinda' miss out on some of the detail and annunciation of a good condenser, though. Nothing a little touch of EQ won't fix up.

I love my SM7 too. I've not gotten a bad sound out of it yet, on any source. It sees more use in my studio than some mics costing many times as much.

OK then.... SM7B it is! This is gonna be my first mic. For the time being I am going to run it through the pres on my Aardvark Q10 and see how that goes. Any pres out there that tend to "flatter" this mic more than others?

Thank you again for all the helpful replies.

Oh, and chessrock... am I to assume that you hear this mic's voice more than others? ;)

Oh yea. :D That was actually my first real mic, too (got it about 10 years ago and I still use it all the time). It set me back about $700 at the time, I think.

Michael Jones said:
An Audix 35102 with on-board para-EQ; Class "A", discrete.
Its kind of a "Neve-esq" pre.
Sounds phenominal!

never heard of it....how much is it?

curious cuz i have a sm7 and i use an RNP...but i think a pre with a 'thicker' low mid range might be a lil bit better for certain people...even though heads say i get pretty good vocals and thats with different people on the same combo.....

69ShadesofRed said:
Any pres out there that tend to "flatter" this mic more than others?

for a cheap pre....harvey loved it thru the rnp...thats what i use too and i think its great too cuz the RNP has alot of gain and there's relatively no distortion when setting it to high gains. I usually set it to 60db of gain to get a good signal to tape...unless he/she's a REAL screamer...

Back