Shure SM58

wow this thread is old. did it get reopened for a reason?

You are correct about one thing that I did not realize and that is the age of this thread

Indeed, this thread is quite old, but I have seen very concise & apt comment from Bobsy regarding the SM58 mic. I had hard time dealing with the dilemma, whether to get a condenser for my home recording for vocals (I had hashortlisted the AT2020/2035, Studio Projects B1 and MXL 67G... or go for the SM58. The SM58 would solve dual purpose, as I also do lot of stage shows. But this thread had very distinctive remarks more than other threads about SM58, which helped me actually disregard the SM58 for the time being. The mantra is to keep stage and recording seggregated :thumbs up::thumbs up:

I guess its time to end this thread, thanks everyone for their valuable responses. Time to fight out between B1, 2035 and MXL :guitar:

If I could only own 1 mic it would be an sm58, it works for almost anything. OK it is not the best for everything but you can get a usable sound out of it. I have used sm58 for live vocals since it came out, I have also used it on guitar amps, snare drums, toms, kick, bass amps, all of these work both in the studio and live.

In the studio I occasionally use a sm58 for vocals if the band is doing a live in the studio demo, the vocals are very usable. It is the swiss army knife of mics. Anyone that says they can't get a usable sound out of it should become a bricklayer (no offence to bricklayers, just forget sound engineering).

Alan.

If I could only own 1 mic it would be an sm58, it works for almost anything. OK it is not the best for everything but you can get a usable sound out of it. I have used sm58 for live vocals since it came out, I have also used it on guitar amps, snare drums, toms, kick, bass amps, all of these work both in the studio and live.

In the studio I occasionally use a sm58 for vocals if the band is doing a live in the studio demo, the vocals are very usable. It is the swiss army knife of mics. Anyone that says they can't get a usable sound out of it should become a bricklayer (no offence to bricklayers, just forget sound engineering).

Alan.

That'd make you 9 years old when you bought your first SM58, witzendoz. They were first released in 1966!.

Dang, you must have been rich! My first mic (also from around 1966) was some kind of plastic Japanese thing you could hang round people's necks like those big lavs I used to see on TV! I'm sure it was shite but, I felt very grown up using it to record on my second hand Silvertone reel to reel!

I agree with your bricklayer slur though--the SM58 isn't my favourite mic for anything but, over the years I've used one for everything. Learning to EQ for a 58 must be one of the first things most live sound people play with.

As I said several times above, everybody should own an SM58 or 3--and like you I've even used them in the studio when recording a whole band at once. However, if I was just starting out and wanted a single mic, I doubt it would be a '58.

That'd make you 9 years old when you bought your first SM58, witzendoz. They were first released in 1966!.

Well I am in Oz, took a while to get here :facepalm:, I would have bought my first SM58 in about 1978, exaggerated a bit.:D

I actually had 2 x unidyne ball mics in 1971 that I used for recording stereo to my TEAC A360 cassette deck, my parents bought me this stuff and it was a good recording setup for the time LOL. Still own the unidyne's but the TEACS died eventually.

Alan.

Back